ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost Passport

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jjkok78
Newly Registered

Lost Passport

Post by jjkok78 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi,

I am intending to apply for ILR under Work Permit and are eligible to apply for ILR under the 5 years rule.

Unfortunately, in 2007 my passport with the original visa stamp was stolen in London. I have filed a police report in London and obtained a crime reference. I used a temporary passport to go back to my home country and reapplied for a new passport. Then I entered UK with my new passport at Manchester airport, I shown my police report and my work permit letter to the immigration officer and manage to get my new passport stamped with an ink stamp showing the date when I get the work permit. I have since been using the new passport (with ink stamp) without difficulty.

1. What effect will this have on my ILR application?
2. How can I proof the duration spend outside the country without my lost passport?
3. Is this consider as a straight forward case? Can I apply my ILR at the PEO?

Thanks in advance.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi

I can't fully answer your query but hopefully a more experienced poster will pick this up.

Order your SAR file as this will have your immigration history on it. That way you can see if UKBA have recorded all your comings and goings out of the country.

Have you still got a copy of the police report? If so include this with your application as proof of the lost passport along with an explanatory letter.

I think with the above it will be a straight-forward application.

jjkok78
Newly Registered

Post by jjkok78 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have arranged for an appointment at PEO Sheffield in 5 days time, From what you said, maybe it's best for me to cancel my appointment and get my SAR file first before rearrange for my appointment. Do you know how long does it that to get the SAR file and where do you get it from? Thanks.
kiwigirl25 wrote:Hi

I can't fully answer your query but hopefully a more experienced poster will pick this up.

Order your SAR file as this will have your immigration history on it. That way you can see if UKBA have recorded all your comings and goings out of the country.

Have you still got a copy of the police report? If so include this with your application as proof of the lost passport along with an explanatory letter.

I think with the above it will be a straight-forward application.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:19 pm

There is a "sticky" post above with all the information regarding SAR requests. It can take up to 40 working days. Can you afford to wait that long? Do you perhaps want to risk taking the appointment?

Wait until a more experienced poster gives their opinion before cancelling your appointment. I used a solicitor for my ILR application so don't really know what the advantage of ordering your SAR file in advance is.

jjkok78
Newly Registered

Post by jjkok78 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks kiwigirl25, will wait until a more experience poster gives their opinion.

jjkok78
Newly Registered

Post by jjkok78 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:24 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote: Have you still got a copy of the police report? If so include this with your application as proof of the lost passport along with an explanatory letter.
Yes, I still have a copy of the police report.