ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Set(O) application process - guidance notes

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Via123
Newly Registered

Employer letter contents - Tier 2 ILR

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:30 am

Dear all,

I am planning to apply for ILR at the end of March which is when I would have amassed 5 years on Tier 2 visas. I am currently gathering all the necessary documents. I have asked advice of the HR of my university regarding the format of the employer letter. They are happy to provide the following:

----------------------------
To: The UK Visas and Immigration Agency

XX March 2019

Subject: Employment Verification and Absences from the UK - Application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK for Dr. XX

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is to confirm that Dr. 'XX' is currently employed as a 'XX' by 'XX University' since 'Date'. His SOC code is 'XX' and his current annual salary is '£XX' which is above the appropriate rate for the job as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 sponsors.

We are supportive of Dr. XX’s ILR application and confirm that XX University have a continuing need to employ him for the foreseeable future.

Please find a list of his absences from the United Kingdom in current employment, as follows:

Date Out Date In Total Days Reason
1. Date1 Date2 N Annual leave
2. So on...

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

---------------------------------

Would you make any amendments to the letter? Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated! :)

sg664
Newly Registered
India

Re: Employer letter contents - Tier 2 ILR

Post by sg664 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:34 am

I recently got my ILR approved. I would recommend to also include the weekly hours worked in a line, as the application asks for us to fill this in. Just make sure its printed on university letterhead and contains the contact details of the HR (incase HO needs to contact them for any verification).

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:53 am

sg664 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:34 am
I recently got my ILR approved. I would recommend to also include the weekly hours worked in a line, as the application asks for us to fill this in. Just make sure its printed on university letterhead and contains the contact details of the HR (incase HO needs to contact them for any verification).
Many thanks for your suggestion, I will request for this information to be included.

I was wondering about the 'salary paid for the foreseeable future'. My HR believes that it is covered in 'the university has a continuing need to employ him for the foreseeable future'. Is anyone aware of the cases where this has been an issue?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:55 am

Via123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:53 am
sg664 wrote:
Many thanks for your suggestion, I will request for this information to be included.

I was wondering about the 'salary paid for the foreseeable future'. My HR believes that it is covered in 'the university has a continuing need to employ him for the foreseeable future'. Is anyone aware of the cases where this has been an issue?
See Immigration Rules Part 6 - 245HF (c)
(c) The Sponsor that issued the Certificate of Sponsorship that led to the applicant’s last grant of leave must:
(i) still hold a Tier 2 Sponsor licence in the relevant category, or have an application for a renewal of such a licence currently under consideration by the Home Office; and
(ii) certify in writing:
(1) that he still requires the applicant for the employment in question for the foreseeable future,
(2) the gross annual salary paid by the Sponsor, and that this salary will be paid for the foreseeable future,

(3) if the applicant is currently on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, the date that leave started, confirmation of what the applicant’s salary was immediately before the leave, and what it will be on the applicant’s return, and
(4) if the applicant is paid hourly, the number of hours per week the salary in (2) or (3) is based on.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:55 am
See Immigration Rules Part 6 - 245HF (c)
(c) The Sponsor that issued the Certificate of Sponsorship that led to the applicant’s last grant of leave must:
(i) still hold a Tier 2 Sponsor licence in the relevant category, or have an application for a renewal of such a licence currently under consideration by the Home Office; and
(ii) certify in writing:
(1) that he still requires the applicant for the employment in question for the foreseeable future,
(2) the gross annual salary paid by the Sponsor, and that this salary will be paid for the foreseeable future,

(3) if the applicant is currently on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, the date that leave started, confirmation of what the applicant’s salary was immediately before the leave, and what it will be on the applicant’s return, and
(4) if the applicant is paid hourly, the number of hours per week the salary in (2) or (3) is based on.
Thank you indeed. I have reviewed that list with my HR, it is difficult to convince them to change the template they have used before for other people. I am just wondering if this has been know to be an issue?

Additionally I see example templates on this forum and other places, where they have not included such a statement. Am I mistaken in believing this or Is this a fairly recent addition to the rules?

I appreciate all the help :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Thank you indeed. I have reviewed that list with my HR, it is difficult to convince them to change the template they have used before for other people. I am just wondering if this has been know to be an issue?
It shouldn't be.
Additionally I see example templates on this forum and other places, where they have not included such a statement. Am I mistaken in believing this or Is this a fairly recent addition to the rules?
Depends which 'examples' you are referring to. Not it is not a 'recent' addition and has been in place for a couple of years already.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 pm
It shouldn't be.
Depends which 'examples' you are referring to. Not it is not a 'recent' addition and has been in place for a couple of years already.
Perfect, I will try and get these added to the letter, but won't pressure the HR if they don't want to edit the letter.

I was referring to (for instance) this:
indefinite-leave-to-remain/employer-let ... 67381.html

Thank you for these very helpful comments. If you have anymore suggestions/comments, I look forward to them. Cheers!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Via123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 pm
It shouldn't be.
Perfect, I will try and get these added to the letter, but won't pressure the HR if they don't want to edit the letter.

I was referring to (for instance) this:
indefinite-leave-to-remain/employer-let ... 67381.html

Thank you for these very helpful comments. If you have anymore suggestions/comments, I look forward to them. Cheers!
Kindly note the date of the topic you have link. Many things have changed since 2014. The link is ONLY an example.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Kindly note the date of the topic you have link. Many things have changed since 2014. The link is ONLY an example.
Indeed. Thank you.
I have another set of queries related to format of the letter from previous employer. I will create another post to keep these two separate.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Via123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Indeed. Thank you.
I have another set of queries related to format of the letter from previous employer. I will create another post to keep these two separate.
Please don't. Keep ALL questions on the same application in ONE topic, ie this one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 pm
Please don't. Keep ALL questions on the same application in ONE topic, ie this one.
I see, my apologies. I am new here.

Regarding the letter from the previous employer, would something like the following suffice? I have not found much info regarding a template:

-------------------

XX March 2019

Subject: Employment Verification and Absences from the UK - Application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK for Dr. XX

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is to confirm that Dr. 'XX' was employed as a 'XX' by 'XX University' from 'Date1' to 'Date2'. His annual salary in this job was '£XX'.

We are supportive of Dr. XX’s ILR application. Please find a list of his absences from the United Kingdom in this employment, as follows:

2. So on...

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

Also, is this letter from previous employer a necessary requirement? I have been told this is not necessary in my case, where I have all the stamps on my passport.

sg664
Newly Registered
India

Post by sg664 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Via123 wrote:
sg664 wrote:

The highlighted words are not really required. Its implied by the required for employment for foreseeable statement.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Via123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 pm
I see, my apologies. I am new here.

Regarding the letter from the previous employer, would something like the following suffice? I have not found much info regarding a template:

-------------------

XX March 2019

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is to confirm that Dr. 'XX' was employed as a 'XX' by 'XX University' from 'Date1' to 'Date2'. His annual salary in this job was '£XX'.

We are supportive of Dr. XX’s ILR application. Please find a list of his absences from the United Kingdom in this employment, as follows:

2. So on...

Yours faithfully,

Also, is this letter from previous employer a necessary requirement? I have been told this is not necessary in my case, where I have all the stamps on my passport.
The letter from your previous employer is ONLY for your absences. It is not required for them to state all the same details as your current employer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:50 pm

sg664 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 pm
Via123 wrote:
sg664 wrote:

The highlighted words are not really required. Its implied by the required for employment for foreseeable statement.
Thanks for confirming this. It gives me much more confidence in documents I am going to submit!

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:29 pm

The letter from your previous employer is ONLY for your absences. It is not required for them to state all the same details as your current employer.
Ah, makes sense. This makes it easier. So it's just a letter of absences?

Is the letter from previous employer a necessary requirement? I have been told this is not necessary in my case, where I have all the stamps on my passport. What is the opinion here about that?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Via123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm
CR001 wrote:

Is the letter from previous employer a necessary requirement? I have been told this is not necessary in my case, where I have all the stamps on my passport. What is the opinion here about that?
It is mandatory to include letters from all employers you have had while on Tier 2 detailing your absences.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Via123
Newly Registered

Post by Via123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:01 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm
Via123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm
CR001 wrote:

It is mandatory to include letters from all employers you have had while on Tier 2 detailing your absences.
Two thumbs up to you for your suggestions and comments. Hope this post helps others wondering about similar things. Cheers.

Via123
Newly Registered

New Set(O) application process - guidance notes

Post by Via123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:18 pm

I recently got my ILR approved. Here are my notes on this experience. Hope it’s useful. I am not responsible if things work out differently for you. I understand and expect that you will exercise your discretion.

New online process for Set (O) explained in brief:

Register and fill your online application as much as you can [link: https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk]. You will have a link to download pdf of your incomplete application. Use this pdf as a guide to check/fill the rest of the form (don’t worry the form won’t be submitted unless you press the submit and pay button). Once you acquire all your documents (details below), submit and pay the fees. You will receive an email confirming the submission from the home office. You will be redirected to a webpage with a link to setup an account on Sopra Steria website + a link to download consent form and a checklist of required documents. Download the consent form and checklist. Setup an account with Sopra Steria. You will get an email from Sopra. Book an appointment for biometrics on their website. Also, find the link to upload documents. Scan and upload all your documents before your visit. It makes your biometrics appointment run so much smoother.

Scanning guide:

I scanned the documents in color (not necessary but useful to show signatures in color ink).
Scan as pdf files (recommended).
Keep individual file size lower than 6mb (necessary).
Scan all pages of passport(s) and merge them together as one pdf file (recommended).
Scan both sides of BRP and merge as one pdf.
and so on…

Preparing for Life in the UK test:

(i) Book:
I bought the official book from [https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/Life-in-the-U ... kID=002353]. I familiarized myself with the four or five different sections of the test using the book but did not actually make much use of it to prepare for the test.

(ii) Practice test website:
This ‘official’ website [https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/] contains 45 practice tests. I started learning about the history and life in the UK using these questions (and Wikipedia for the facts I did not know). I failed at most of these tests in the first instance. After going through these the second time, I noticed a significant improvement and by my third attempt I was scoring above 20 in all of these.

My advice is to practice all the tests available on this website (don’t bother purchasing the book). Most of the questions on my test were either exactly the same or very similar to the questions within all these tests. Another thing I noticed at my test is that most of the questions were Scotland related (I took the test in Edinburgh). Pay extra attention to the questions related to the region you are living in.

Once you are confident, you can book the test here - https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test

Financial documents:

I submitted last three months’ payslips and bank statements. Get your payslips stamped and get a letter authenticating these payslips.

My bank is HSBC which has a policy not to authenticate/stamp bank statements. I managed to get a temporary statement printed at the bank on their letterhead along with a standard draft letter that HSBC issues to all. I explained this in my cover letter (see below) and this was sufficient.

Sponsor letter and previous sponsor letter:

Here is a draft letter I used for my application. My advice is to work closely with the HR. Calmly explain to them why each statement serves a purpose in their letter.

Draft letter:
indefinite-leave-to-remain/employer-let ... 75321.html

Side note: ‘Current salary will be paid for foreseeable future’ is implicit in the ‘required for the job for foreseeable future’. My sponsor letter didn’t have this, and it was not an issue at all.

Big shout out to the moderators of this forum for their advice on these letters. Much appreciated!

Cover letter:

I feel this is the one of the most important part of your application. Explain in a concise yet comprehensive manner why you qualify for ILR. Also make sure to explain anything that needs explaining (such as bank statement in my case). Don’t hesitate to explain to the case worker in as short a way as possible. Demonstrate that you understand the process of ILR application and can confidently say that you qualify. Do mention politely that you are happy to provide more information if they need it (and that you are just one email away from them).

Draft letter:

UK Visas and Immigration XX March 2019

Dear Sir/Madam,

SET (O) Application for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the United Kingdom
Super Priority Service
Applicant: xx xxx; Date of birth: xx-xx-xxxx; Nationality: xxxx
Unique Application Number: 12345
Payment notification number: 12ABC345
Submission date: xx-xx-2019

Please find enclosed my application form and following documents in support of my application for indefinite leave to remain –

Mandatory documents:
1. Current passport.
2. Signed consent form for verification checks.

Proof of residence in the UK:
3. Biometric Residence Card.
4. Driving license.

Proof of identity and travel history:
5. Old passport with issued Visas and entry stamps.
6. Letter from sponsor, XXX University with lists of absences from the UK with reasons.
7. Letter from previous sponsor, University of XXX with lists of absences from the UK with reasons.

Proof of employment:
8. Letter from sponsor confirming that I am still required for the role, that I am receiving a salary of £xx,xxx per annum for a xx hour working week, and that the SOC code for my role is xxxx.

Proof of finances:
9. Payslips for January, February and March 2019.
10. Letter from the employer confirming the payslips.
11. Bank statements for January, February and March 2019 (till date).
12. Letter from the bank confirming the finance details.

Proof of other requirements:
13. Life in the UK pass certificate.
14. xx degree certificate for original research conducted in English.
15. xx degree supplementary information.

Along with my most recent bank statement (dated xx February 2019), I have also attached a statement printed at the bank on their letterhead for the dates between xx March and xx March 2019. Since it is HSBC national policy not to stamp individual statements, I have also attached a signed letter from HSBC confirming my up to date financial details.

I have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK as a Tier 2 (General) visa holder on the xx March 2019 (counting the 5 year period from xx March 2014, the date when my initial application for entry clearance was approved). I have not spent more than 180 days outside the UK during any year within the 5 years I have been living in the UK and I have provided the specified documents relating to my absences from the UK. I have met the English language requirement and I have passed Life in the UK Test.

Please let me know if you need any more information, I will be glad to provide it.

Yours faithfully,

Mr/Ms Xx xxx

Address: xxx
Mobile: 1234567
Email: xx@xx.com

kikhan
Pakistan

Re: New Set(O) application process - guidance notes

Post by kikhan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:25 am

Hi,
These are very useful notes.
Three questions if you kindly reply
1- when did the option for payment for super priority service come is it when you log in to Sopra or when you are submitting ur application to HO?
2- when i completed my application the check listed created mentioned specifically to submit only one month most recent payslip and bank statement unless I am on paternity/ maternity leave. Was it the same case with you or they asked for 3 months documents
3- my pay slips are paper copies not the print outs do i still need to get them varified?
I will be grateful for you help

Sachin Raja
India

Re: New Set(O) application process - guidance notes

Post by Sachin Raja » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi when you say Bank letter head how did you get this done? They are saying they don't do this, how to get this done?

Letter from the bank confirming the finance details, how did you get this? what details were put in this letter when you mean finance details can you please let me know.

My appointment is coming is next week expecting your quick reply! Thanks