ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR eligibility when change of WP on intercompany transfer

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shishir30

PR eligibility when change of WP on intercompany transfer

Post by shishir30 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi,

I am going to complete 5 years of stay in UK on 15th April and want to see if I am eligible to apply for settlement in UK as there's is change of visa twice.

Below is the summary of my visits in and out of UK and would appreciate if someone could help me in understanding my position on application success.

- I was employed in an IT company in India and first came in UK on Work Permit (on intercompany transfer) on 14/04/2005

- Then I Left UK to India (intercompany transfer) on 18/12/2005

- Again I came back to UK from India on same WP as above (on intercompany transfer) on 19/01/2006

_ so Number of days I was out of UK this time is 22 days

- When I was in UK, my WP got extended in UK for another year but I left UK to India (on intercompany transfer) on 09/09/2006

- Although my extended Work Permit was still valid but for coming back to UK, my company (same company for which I was working during above period) has to apply for new WP.
the reason is when I left UK to India last time (i.e on 09/09/2006), they notified high commission about my company transfer due to which WP was cancelled.

- So I came back to UK on NEW WORK PERMIT (intercompany transfer) on 29/10/2006

- No of days I was out of UK this time is - 50 days (Excluding difference mentioned above).

- I left UK again to India (intercompany transfer) on 15/04/2007 and again my company notified High commission about intercompany transfer, so I believe my work permit would have been cancelled.

- During my above stay in UK, I applied for HSMP and I got approval letter when I was in UK only. But I got HSMP visa stamped in India as I got transfered soon to India as mentioned above.

- I resigned from the company in India and this time came to UK on 14/06/2007 for working with new employer. Note : - Till this point I was working for same company only.

- No of days I was out of UK this time is - 60 days (Excluding difference mentioned above).

- Since then (i.e 14/06/2007) I am here in UK working for different companies on HSPM visa which is converted/extended to Tier 1 migrant in June 2009.

- I have gone out of UK to India and European countries few times for holidays none of which exceeding 30 days at a stretch.

- Total number of days out of UK in last 5 years on holidays are: - 73 days

- Total number of days out of UK in last 5 years on intercompany transfer are: - 132 days

- Thus, total number of days out of UK (including holidays and intercompany transfer as mentioned above) are: - 205 days

- In last 1 year, I have been away from UK for just 22 days on holidays.

Please could you help me in understanding my eligibility and probability of getting through PR.

Thanks.
Shishir

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:41 pm

The issue(s) in your case could probably be 'coz of the two times your WP leave to enter / remain were terminated while you were outside UK and new ones issued. Though not certain, but this might have reset your ILR clock. This said, it seems that new WP leave (in both cases) was granted within 28 days of termination of earlier leave, which might be a saving grace. Moreover, you were (in all probability) without valid leave to enter/remain before you applied for EC as HSMP migrant in India.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Re: PR eligibility when change of WP on intercompany transfe

Post by kiranchinnu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am

shishir30 wrote:Hi,

I am going to complete 5 years of stay in UK on 15th April and want to see if I am eligible to apply for settlement in UK as there's is change of visa twice.

Below is the summary of my visits in and out of UK and would appreciate if someone could help me in understanding my position on application success.

- I was employed in an IT company in India and first came in UK on Work Permit (on intercompany transfer) on 14/04/2005

- Then I Left UK to India (intercompany transfer) on 18/12/2005

- Again I came back to UK from India on same WP as above (on intercompany transfer) on 19/01/2006

_ so Number of days I was out of UK this time is 22 days

- When I was in UK, my WP got extended in UK for another year but I left UK to India (on intercompany transfer) on 09/09/2006

- Although my extended Work Permit was still valid but for coming back to UK, my company (same company for which I was working during above period) has to apply for new WP.
the reason is when I left UK to India last time (i.e on 09/09/2006), they notified high commission about my company transfer due to which WP was cancelled.

- So I came back to UK on NEW WORK PERMIT (intercompany transfer) on 29/10/2006

- No of days I was out of UK this time is - 50 days (Excluding difference mentioned above).

- I left UK again to India (intercompany transfer) on 15/04/2007 and again my company notified High commission about intercompany transfer, so I believe my work permit would have been cancelled.

- During my above stay in UK, I applied for HSMP and I got approval letter when I was in UK only. But I got HSMP visa stamped in India as I got transfered soon to India as mentioned above.

- I resigned from the company in India and this time came to UK on 14/06/2007 for working with new employer. Note : - Till this point I was working for same company only.

- No of days I was out of UK this time is - 60 days (Excluding difference mentioned above).

I think this point will make big difference in getting ILR as ur out of UK for 60days without a visa(assuming your WP was cancelled). I think u need to wait for 5yrs from this date to gain ILR.

My suggestion is email HO and wait for reply. In mean time get advice from couple of immigration solictors as well.

- Since then (i.e 14/06/2007) I am here in UK working for different companies on HSPM visa which is converted/extended to Tier 1 migrant in June 2009.

- I have gone out of UK to India and European countries few times for holidays none of which exceeding 30 days at a stretch.

- Total number of days out of UK in last 5 years on holidays are: - 73 days

- Total number of days out of UK in last 5 years on intercompany transfer are: - 132 days

- Thus, total number of days out of UK (including holidays and intercompany transfer as mentioned above) are: - 205 days

- In last 1 year, I have been away from UK for just 22 days on holidays.

Please could you help me in understanding my eligibility and probability of getting through PR.

Thanks.
Shishir

gd_chandrasekar

Post by gd_chandrasekar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Sush

Even mine is similar case, first time to UK on 21 Aug, 2005, went back to India on 19 July 2006, came back to UK on a new work permit for a different client in UK, but same Indian company. Got the second stamping on 24 Aug 2006 but came to UK on 04 Sept 2006.

UK In UK Out Description Days Outside UK
21/08/2005 19/07/2006 1 year Assignment 46
04/09/2006 19/08/2007 1 year Assignment with NG 20
09/09/2007 13/10/2007 Left to Lyreco Assignment 17

Not sure whats the work permit validiy dates, but my visa validity dates were overlapping

Valid from Valid Till Type
19/08/2005 31/12/2007 Work Permit
24/08/2006 21/12/2008 Work Permit
10/07/2007 10/07/2010 Work Permit
29/01/2008 29/01/2010 HSMP
29/01/2010 29/01/2013 Tier 1

Pls advice whether I am eligilble for PR this Aug?

sushdmehta wrote:The issue(s) in your case could probably be 'coz of the two times your WP leave to enter / remain were terminated while you were outside UK and new ones issued. Though not certain, but this might have reset your ILR clock. This said, it seems that new WP leave (in both cases) was granted within 28 days of termination of earlier leave, which might be a saving grace. Moreover, you were (in all probability) without valid leave to enter/remain before you applied for EC as HSMP migrant in India.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

What the applicant needs to prove is that the "continuity of residence in the UK has not been broken", therefore visa stamping (days in between) might not be of relevance here.

Applying for (and being granted) a new WP / WP extension from outside the UK may be, IMHO, viewed differently from a new WP / WP extension applied for (and granted) while remaining in the UK.

regards

gd_chandrasekar

Post by gd_chandrasekar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi sushdmehta

Sorry to ask to again. I'm worried a bit on this bit, because next year lot of things are being changed on PR and Citizenship, i want to do it asap. I hope my 1st year is not reset when I applied a new workpermit and an entry clearance for the same. Do you think I need to specify this when I apply for ILR in the PEO / case worker or just leave it?

Because no where in UKBA site or even in this forum its specified/clarity on the above point.

Thanks
sushdmehta wrote:What the applicant needs to prove is that the "continuity of residence in the UK has not been broken", therefore visa stamping (days in between) might not be of relevance here.

Applying for (and being granted) a new WP / WP extension from outside the UK may be, IMHO, viewed differently from a new WP / WP extension applied for (and granted) while remaining in the UK.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 pm

gd_chandrasekar wrote:Do you think I need to specify this when I apply for ILR in the PEO / case worker or just leave it?
Whether mention this in your application or not, UKBA is already aware of your entire immigration history.

The question that remains (which I am unable to answer) is EC from outside the UK on the basis of a new WP with same / different employer is considered a break in UK residence or not.

regards

gd_chandrasekar

Post by gd_chandrasekar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:39 pm

thanks for the quick reply mate.

I just checked my Work permit, my 2nd workpermit got approved on 6th Aug 2006, which is 2 weeks from my exit from UK 19th July 2006. Got the entry clearance for the same on 24th Aug 2006. From then on I switched to diff WP within UK and got my HSMP shortly after, currently on Tier 1 extension.

I hope the 1st year will not get reset. Hope for the best. I am just wondering my scenario is quite common for IT guys working for an Indian company, I guess sure someone there would have the same case as mine. It will be great if they can share their exp here.

Thanks
sushdmehta wrote:
gd_chandrasekar wrote:Do you think I need to specify this when I apply for ILR in the PEO / case worker or just leave it?
Whether mention this in your application or not, UKBA is already aware of your entire immigration history.

The question that remains (which I am unable to answer) is whether EC from outside the UK on the basis of a new WP with same / different employer is considered a break in residence or not.

regards