ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian widow

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Claudiabennett07
Newly Registered
Mood:

Romanian widow

Post by Claudiabennett07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi, I am a Romanian widow of a British Citizen. I met my husband in August 2013.We moved in together almost immediately and married in October 2015.I had been in the UK since July 2013.
My husband died in July of 2017,and for the preceeding 8 months I had been his paid carer. We lived self sufficient the entire time I knew him.Now I am looking for work and have applications in for over 20 jobs. I am also in a serious relationship and am engaged to another British citizen.
I had been receiving jobs eek erstwhile allowance, but have been told this ends on the 31st of March. It was extended because I was told I had shown compelling evidence that I am looking for work.
Since they said that I have enrolled on two college courses, and an English course. I speak fluently but want to improve.
I have heard that as a widow of a British Citizen I can apply for Indefinite leave to remain before my 5 years are up in July. Can you help please.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Romanian widow

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 pm

I have heard that as a widow of a British Citizen I can apply for Indefinite leave to remain before my 5 years are up in July. Can you help please.
Not sure it is relevant to your case as you are an EU citizen and therefore not a 'dependent' with a visa in the relevant category of leave to remain, i.e. spouse visa.

https://www.gov.uk/visas-partner-dies

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -01-18.pdf
12F Bereaved partner
If you are applying for indefinite leave to remain as a bereaved partner, in addition to the relevant
documents in 12A, you must provide:
Your late partner’s death certificate
Evidence that you and your late partner were living together as a couple from the time you
were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK as his or her partner
until his or her death,
such as letters, bills and other correspondence from official sources addressed to both or
each of you at the same address. Please provide as many as you can.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Claudiabennett07
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Claudiabennett07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Yes, I can provide all of those documents, I have kept everything. Really I just wanted to know if it is correct that I can apply for ILR before my five years are up, and where do I get hold of the necessary forms please.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:38 pm

I have provided the link to the form, however, please take note of the requirement to hold a visa in the specified category, which you don't hold.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Claudiabennett07
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Claudiabennett07 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 am

I was thoroughly checked out by both immigration and the registry office to ensure I was legal and divorced from my previous marriage. I was never told to do anything else or seek a different visa,

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 am

If you have never applied for leave, e.g. an expensive spouse visa or FLR(M), then you don't have leave under the Immigration Rules.

Then, unfortunately,
E-BPILR.1.2. wrote:The applicant’s last grant of limited leave must have been as-

(a) a partner (other than a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) of a British Citizen or a person settled in the UK; or
(b) a bereaved partner.
fails.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 am

Claudiabennett07 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 am
I was thoroughly checked out by both immigration and the registry office to ensure I was legal and divorced from my previous marriage. I was never told to do anything else or seek a different visa,
As an EU citizen, you don't need a visa under the UK Immigration rules to be in the UK. Giving notice to marry is completely separate to any Home Office residence card or visa application.

Vinny has provided the relevant links too on why you would not qualify to apply for ILR as a bereaved partner.
Char (CR001 not Casa)