ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Please use this section of the board for queries about Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). However please use the EEA-route section for queries about the EEA-route equivalent of Permanent Residence (PR).


This section is relevant irrespective of whether current status is Tiered or Non-Tiered.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Locked
skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning to apply for SET LR based on 10 year stay in UK. My current dependent visa is expiring in March 2019.
I need little guidance before I start the application process:

1. What documents do I need? UK GOV site mentions just passports? Is that all I need to provide?

2. I cant see any option to apply in Person ( site say premium visa centres are now closed!) - does anyone know how can I apply in person?


3. Iknow it takes few months to get approval through postal application. If I apply through post then what will happen if I dont get ILR granted before March 2019?
4. can I travel abroad while the UKBA is considering my application?

Many thanks!! You guys helped in previous visa and hopefully this will be my last visa!!

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm

1. Passports covering 10 years, LIUK and B1 or UK Degree or foreign degree with NARIC.

2. There is no longer an 'in person same day decision' service. See links below for new service.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/new-uk-visa- ... 67058.html

https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/home-internal

3. Your existing visa conditions continue under Section 3C of the immigration rules.

4. No, you cannot travel out of the UK regardless of new service or postal. Leaving the UK means your application will be considered withdrawn and you also won't be able to re-enter the UK if your existing visa has expired.

On what date did you enter the UK 10 years ago??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Many thanks for prompt reply!

I entered in UK as dependent in Dec 2006. after that had tier 1 visa then dependent again!



I have Ph.D degree from India and worked in UK. Do I need to provide Letter from NARIC? how do I get that?

many thanks in advance!

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 am

i entered in UK as dependent in Dec 2006. after that had tier 1 visa then dependent again!
Why have you waited so long to apply if you entered the UK in 2006?
I have Ph.D degree from India and worked in UK. Do I need to provide Letter from NARIC? how do I get that?
You need UKVI Red Route NARIC, costs about £150.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

brrip
Newly Registered
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 pm
Singapore

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by brrip » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:57 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm
1. Passports covering 10 years, LIUK and B1 or UK Degree or foreign degree with NARIC.

2. There is no longer an 'in person same day decision' service. See links below for new service.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/new-uk-visa- ... 67058.html

https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/home-internal

3. Your existing visa conditions continue under Section 3C of the immigration rules.

4. No, you cannot travel out of the UK regardless of new service or postal. Leaving the UK means your application will be considered withdrawn and you also won't be able to re-enter the UK if your existing visa has expired.

On what date did you enter the UK 10 years ago??

Previously I was told that they want payslips, bank statements etc. Is this no longer the case?

I've got my appointment for document checking tomorrow, just not sure how much info they care about.

skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 am

thanks for promt reply!

Wanted to apply earlier but
-just been busy! I know i should have applied earlier but visa application take so much energy and time ---!!
- also couldnt take life in UK till now! finally booked test for this thursday!
-and was worried that I will need to prepare loads of documents for past ten years

now i just cheched my passport and guess what it is expering too! Now need to apply for it asap...
and NARIC then ILR then British citizenship (my husband is british so I guess I can apply for citizenship as soon as I get ILR)!

I want to end this cycle and get british citizenship as soon as possible!

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 am

brrip wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:57 pm
CR001 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm
1. Passports covering 10 years, LIUK and B1 or UK Degree or foreign degree with NARIC.

2. There is no longer an 'in person same day decision' service. See links below for new service.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/new-uk-visa- ... 67058.html

https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/home-internal

3. Your existing visa conditions continue under Section 3C of the immigration rules.

4. No, you cannot travel out of the UK regardless of new service or postal. Leaving the UK means your application will be considered withdrawn and you also won't be able to re-enter the UK if your existing visa has expired.

On what date did you enter the UK 10 years ago??

Previously I was told that they want payslips, bank statements etc. Is this no longer the case?

I've got my appointment for document checking tomorrow, just not sure how much info they care about.
Please post in your own topic rather than tagging onto another members thread.

You were told wrong!! It has never been the case for long residence ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am

skum wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 am
thanks for promt reply!

Wanted to apply earlier but
-just been busy! I know i should have applied earlier but visa application take so much energy and time ---!!
- also couldnt take life in UK till now! finally booked test for this thursday!
-and was worried that I will need to prepare loads of documents for past ten years

now i just cheched my passport and guess what it is expering too! Now need to apply for it asap...
and NARIC then ILR then British citizenship (my husband is british so I guess I can apply for citizenship as soon as I get ILR)!

I want to end this cycle and get british citizenship as soon as possible!
When does your passport expire?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:56 am

My indian passport is expiring on 14th Jan 2019

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:19 am

Your passport must be valid at the time of application. You don't state when exactly you are applying. There is no requirement to have x amount of months validity left on your passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 pm

really? Are you sure??
I know that even Schengen visa passport needs to be valid for more than 3 months.
I am planning to apply for British Citizenship as soon I get ILR. My husband has british citizenship.
So I may not neend to apply for Indian passport at all?

My current visa is expiring on 14 FEB 2009. But I want to apply as soon as possible so that I can travel freely anywhere!

What is the timeline of processing ILR applications? ANd timeline for NARIC?

I am uploading documents in NARIC today. They have stated that if candicades upload today then I could get certificate before xmas.


Many thanks in advance!!!

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Well you are not apply for a temporary visitor or Schengen visa so best not to confuse requirements for other countries with applying for ILR. Your passport DOES NOT have to have x months validity as your ILR is NOT a sticker in your passport.

How long it takes depends on what service you use to apply, for both ILR and NARIC.

Note that ILR does not permit you to travel freely or visa free.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks !

I want ILR by FEB as I want to travel to India after that.

sould I pay extra to NARIC for fast processing?


any suggestion on how I can get ILR fast

Do I need valid Indian passport to apply for British citizenship?
many thanks.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:59 pm

I want ILR by FEB as I want to travel to India after that.
How long will you be away?
sould I pay extra to NARIC for fast processing?
Your choice if you want to pay extra.
any suggestion on how I can get ILR fast
Super priority service using the new service, link below.
Do I need valid Indian passport to apply for British citizenship?
No, but you obviously cannot travel if you don't have a valid passport. If your passport has expired when you apply for citizenship, HO will want to see evidence of residence, i.e. payslips, bank statements, tenancy etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skum
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: London

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by skum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 pm

passed life in uk test today!

NARIC has come back and asked letters from all the instutitions( where I studied in past) to confirm that medium of instruction was in english!!
I had submitted letter from my highest degeee institute (Ph.D) but they need for bachlores & masters as well ! Now i need to chase up Indian institutes of a letter ....


ONe question --- Can I apply for british citizenship without valid Indian passport? My passport would have expired by then...
I am wondering whether I should apply for passport now while I am wating for NARIC letter or I dont need Indian passport for citizenship application??

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 77942
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (LR) Documents and Procedure

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 am

1. It would have been quicker to do the10/20 minute English test!

2. You need a passport to apply for citizenship. It does not have to be valid but if expired, you will likely need to provide extra documents to prove your residence from date of passport expiry.

3. Please ask your British citizenship questions in the British citizenship sub forum once you get ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Locked
cron