Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse ILR - English Language

Please use this section of the board for queries about Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). However please use the EEA-route section for queries about the EEA-route equivalent of Permanent Residence (PR).


This section is relevant irrespective of whether current status is Tiered or Non-Tiered.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Post Reply
seekit
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by seekit » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am

Hi, My spouse needs to apply for ILR visa and for english language requirement we are thinking of using NARIC letters we've got but wanted to check if they'll be enough for ILR or not? These letters were used in previous FLR application successfully.

We've got:
1 - Original Degree certificate
2 - NARIC letter saying its equivalent to Bachelors degree
3 - Letter from University that medium of instruction was english
4 - NARIC english assessment letter saying it doesn't meet CEFR level C1 but applicant will have atleast the proficiency of CEFR level A1.

Can anyone please comment if this will be sufficient or does she need to sit in B1 english exam?

Many Thanks

seekit
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by seekit » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 am

This is what I've found from the UKBA website so far. Please let me know if this is correct?

At Link: https://www.gov.uk/english-language
You can prove it by having either:
  • an English qualification at B1, B2, C1 or C2 level
  • a degree taught or researched in English
So according to this B1,B2,C1 or C2 level is only for someone who has english test. But a degree taught or researched in English link takes to:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english
If your degree was taught or researched in English
You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.
If you have a degree from a UK university, you only need your degree certificate.
If your degree is not from a UK university, you’ll need your degree certificate and one of the following:
  • a letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
  • an official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)
So according to above statement, it looks like degree certificate, letter from uni and UKNARIC comparability statement is enough and we don't even need english language assessment from NARIC.
Can anyone please suggest if this is correct? Has anyone recently applied for ILR with degree?

Thanks

seekit
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by seekit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 am

Anyone please?

umair99144
inactive
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by umair99144 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:16 am

I have done exactly the same, this is all Home office required

sunny007
Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:33 am
Pakistan

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by sunny007 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

seekit wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am
Hi, My spouse needs to apply for ILR visa and for english language requirement we are thinking of using NARIC letters we've got but wanted to check if they'll be enough for ILR or not? These letters were used in previous FLR application successfully.

We've got:
1 - Original Degree certificate
2 - NARIC letter saying its equivalent to Bachelors degree
3 - Letter from University that medium of instruction was english
4 - NARIC english assessment letter saying it doesn't meet CEFR level C1 but applicant will have atleast the proficiency of CEFR level A1.

Can anyone please comment if this will be sufficient or does she need to sit in B1 english exam?

Many Thanks
For ILR B1 or above is required , in your case A1 doen't meet the CEFR B1 English language requirement.so i think your spouse needs to clear the B1, (B1 SELT – GESE Grade 5)
https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220

Ryn2019
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by Ryn2019 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi seekit..

Today my ILR has been grated. For my ILR spouse visa uk, i submitted Naric statement of comparability , my master degree certificate, medium of instruction letter from college & transcript certificate . Nothing else.. the same documents I submitted for my previous applications aswell.. thxs..

seekit
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by seekit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:21 pm

sunny007 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm
seekit wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am
Hi, My spouse needs to apply for ILR visa and for english language requirement we are thinking of using NARIC letters we've got but wanted to check if they'll be enough for ILR or not? These letters were used in previous FLR application successfully.

We've got:
1 - Original Degree certificate
2 - NARIC letter saying its equivalent to Bachelors degree
3 - Letter from University that medium of instruction was english
4 - NARIC english assessment letter saying it doesn't meet CEFR level C1 but applicant will have atleast the proficiency of CEFR level A1.

Can anyone please comment if this will be sufficient or does she need to sit in B1 english exam?

Many Thanks
For ILR B1 or above is required , in your case A1 doen't meet the CEFR B1 English language requirement.so i think your spouse needs to clear the B1, (B1 SELT – GESE Grade 5)
https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220
Thanks for your reply, from the link I provided it seems like B1 is only required if you are taking test but If you are claiming your degree to be in English then it isn't mentioned that it needs to be B1 level. Hence I asked question. Are you sure that my wife needs to take test and can't use degree? As others have mentioned they've used degree without B1 test? Can you provide a link to HomeOffice document so that I can confirm?

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 62087
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm

You need EITHER the B1 test OR the UK NARIC UKVI Red Route, ELA at level B1 at the minimum and Comparable Assessment. It costs £150, same as the 10 minute English test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ryn2019
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by Ryn2019 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm

U better read the guidance notes & koll appendix thoroughly...it has mentioned everything.. good luck ..

seekit
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by seekit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm
You need EITHER the B1 test OR the UK NARIC UKVI Red Route, ELA at level B1 at the minimum and Comparable Assessment. It costs £150, same as the 10 minute English test.
Hi CR001, Thanks for your reply but I can't find any documentation where it says I need NARIC letter for medium of instruction with B1 level. It only mentions that a degree certificate with comparability statement and a letter from uni saying it was taught in english. Do you have any link where I can find that information? Also even on ILR SET(M) form in the list of documents it doesn't say that. So i am a bit confused now.

seekit
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by seekit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Here is what I found from the Immigration Rules Appendix KoLL from link: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... endix-koll

I think following applies in our case:

iv) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and
(1) provides the specified documentary evidence to show he has the qualification, and
(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or.
So according to it, there is no mention of B1 level. Am I right? Or is it not the right document to look at?

Thanks

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 62087
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse ILR - English Language

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:34 pm

NARIC cert results that members have posted, depending on the degree, state that it is CEFR C1 for example. The minimum requirement would likely therefore be B1. This is the point I am making.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Post Reply
cron