ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa expiring shortly pre 5 year

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Yumla
Newly Registered

Spouse visa expiring shortly pre 5 year

Post by Yumla » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 am

Hi all -

Need some help please. As background, I am a UK national, followed the 5 year route work visa route and got it. My son was born in the UK and holds UK citizenship from birth.

Now the issue we are having is with my wife’s visa are below, with time lines.

Wife moved to UK with me in January 2017, entered on visa on arrival for Canadian nationals (with intention to fly out shortly after to apply for Uk spouse visa in Canada).

Uk spouse visa (pbs dependent) issued 12/05/2017, through 08/03/2019 (likely capped as I was tier 2 back then)

Uk spouse visa renewed (it says pbs dependent but I held an ILR at this time) issued 19/02/2019, through 28/01/2022

By my calculations, my wife is short by 3 ish months to complete the 5 year term. Now if it were 1, we could have just applied 28 days in advance of 5 years, but it’s a little longer.

What are our options here? I am surprised that she wasn’t issued a full term on my ILR basis (our bad for not picking it up).

Any thoughts or guidance is welcome as we look to work through this.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Spouse visa expiring shortly pre 5 year

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:30 am

Please note that the PBS/skilled dependant visa is NOT the same as a spouse/family/partner visa. You seem to be using them interchangeably. :!:

She should extend under Skilled worker dependant visa. I suggest the standard service, so if her visa was not decided by the time she is eligible then she varies the application to SET(O) for ILR

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Yumla
Newly Registered

Post by Yumla » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:22 am

Thank you for your kind reply.

Apologies for mixing the two, out of curiosity, should they have issued a spouse visa once she reapplied and I was on ILR?

Looks like we will be wasting some more money on extending and then ilr.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:50 am

No. She can stay under PBS route (now skilled route) as you settled under such route. Switching would have forced her to start her ILR clock from scratch under the family route
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Yumla
Newly Registered

Post by Yumla » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 am

Thanks, tough position.

I guess we will apply for renewal and see what they say. Maybe I will ask her to take life in Uk etc just in case they move application to ilr, given the close time frames.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:13 am

Yumla wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 am
Thanks, tough position.

I guess we will apply for renewal and see what they say. Maybe I will ask her to take life in Uk etc just in case they move application to ilr, given the close time frames.
UKVI will not "move application to ILR"

You have to apply for ILR even if a dependent visa extension is pending.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Yumla
Newly Registered

Post by Yumla » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks, I guess the obvious question is will the fee be refunded (for one of them) if we apply for both?

Yumla
Newly Registered

Post by Yumla » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:45 am

Hi both - struggling with this awesome system they have put in place!

For the IHS details, it is asking for my work start date and end date, along with details about my visa. It seems this was auto put in form to IHS form. Given my wife only needs 2 months to get to ILR, I don’t see why it’s asking us to pay 5000+.

Any ideas on how to adjust details here (which will
Be via a new form as we are unable to edit).

I am also confused as to the fact that she wasn’t issued a visa in the first place to complete her 5 years. Frustrating.

Thank you for the help.