ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Starting ILR application for Jan submission

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Starting ILR application for Jan submission

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi all,

I have been following this forum keenly to follow the ILR application timelines and process. I am beginning to start my own application for ILR shortly and I hope to share my experience with you guys. Here's a brief summary of my situation thus far.

Currently on Tier-2 general visa. Landed to work in the UK in 2016.
Original Tier-2 visa start date: 07/02/2016
Entry to UK : 23/02/2016

I have since renewed my tier-2 visa twice and the current tier-2 visa will expire in early 2022.

Q1.Based on the above timelines, I have gathered that I can submit my application on or after 11-Jan-2021(28 days before visa start date).Is this correct?

Q2. One of the first application questions is about "When did you first enter the UK?(Required)
This is the date you entered the UK when the period of stay you are basing this application on started."
What should be my response here? I am leaning towards 23/02/2016 (actual date of entry) and not 07/02/16(visa start date). Can you please confirm if that's correct?

Q3.When entering the details under "Details of your time spent outside the UK and Crown Dependencies" - what dates do I use? Do I mention the actual dates when I left the UK and entered the UK irrespective of what stamps my passport has?

Q4. In the Letter(s) from employer(s) detailing reasons for work-related absences including periods of paid annual leave from the UK and Crown Dependencies. What is the best way for this? Do I just create an excel of all the holidays taken and get a letter from the employer to attest that? Is there anything else you'd suggest?

Q5. For the question " Provide details of Countries you've lived in". Is there any guidance on what is the minimum timeframe that needs to be spent to be considered living? I have been on a few projects which have lasted from a few weeks to about 6 weeks where I have spent time outside the country(before coming to the UK). Do I need to provide that detail or is it superfluous?

Q6.For "English language - degree taught in English" section - do I have to get a certificate from NARIC to prove that my degree from Singapore qualifies for this purpose? Also do I need to do this for my bachelors and masters degree or just the latest degree would do?

Q7.In one of the final sections - I have the following question. "Is the account with a bank or utility company for which you have supplied information and supporting documentation held jointly by you and other people?". I do have some utility bills with my spouse which I intend to use to show that we live together. Do I have

I apologize if my questions are daft, it's just nervous application jitters! Thank you so much for your help in advance!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Starting ILR application for Jan submission

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:05 pm

Thecaptaine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:24 pm
Hi all,

I have been following this forum keenly to follow the ILR application timelines and process. I am beginning to start my own application for ILR shortly and I hope to share my experience with you guys. Here's a brief summary of my situation thus far.

Currently on Tier-2 general visa. Landed to work in the UK in 2016.
Original Tier-2 visa start date: 07/02/2016
Entry to UK : 23/02/2016

I have since renewed my tier-2 visa twice and the current tier-2 visa will expire in early 2022.

Q1.Based on the above timelines, I have gathered that I can submit my application on or after 11-Jan-2021(28 days before visa start date).Is this correct?
7/2/2021 minus 28 days. Correct

Q2. One of the first application questions is about "When did you first enter the UK?(Required)
This is the date you entered the UK when the period of stay you are basing this application on started."
What should be my response here? I am leaning towards 23/02/2016 (actual date of entry) and not 07/02/16(visa start date). Can you please confirm if that's correct?
Entry date

Q3.When entering the details under "Details of your time spent outside the UK and Crown Dependencies" - what dates do I use? Do I mention the actual dates when I left the UK and entered the UK irrespective of what stamps my passport has?
Actual dates

Q4. In the Letter(s) from employer(s) detailing reasons for work-related absences including periods of paid annual leave from the UK and Crown Dependencies. What is the best way for this? Do I just create an excel of all the holidays taken and get a letter from the employer to attest that? Is there anything else you'd suggest?
See:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 0_v1.1.pdf

indefinite-leave-to-remain/employer-let ... 67381.html

Q5. For the question " Provide details of Countries you've lived in". Is there any guidance on what is the minimum timeframe that needs to be spent to be considered living? I have been on a few projects which have lasted from a few weeks to about 6 weeks where I have spent time outside the country(before coming to the UK). Do I need to provide that detail or is it superfluous?
Living is usually when your intention is for study, work etc. But if you were based in one country but was sent elsewhere to complete projects I would not mention those

Q6.For "English language - degree taught in English" section - do I have to get a certificate from NARIC to prove that my degree from Singapore qualifies for this purpose? Also do I need to do this for my bachelors and masters degree or just the latest degree would do?

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Q7.In one of the final sections - I have the following question. "Is the account with a bank or utility company for which you have supplied information and supporting documentation held jointly by you and other people?". I do have some utility bills with my spouse which I intend to use to show that we live together. Do I have

Yes. There will be a consent form at the end. You will sign Part 1, spouse will sign Part 2. Utility bills are not needed for your own application though but the same question will be yes even if you intend to show any joint bank accounts.

I apologize if my questions are daft, it's just nervous application jitters! Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:05 pm

Thank you for your prompt response Cullinan! This helps a lot.

An unrelated question for you. I read in one of the other threads that ILR applications need to be submitted within 10 weeks, otherwise it's auto deleted? Is that true? If yes - I will need to start from scratch at a later point in time.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Thecaptaine wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:05 pm
Thank you for your prompt response Cullinan! This helps a lot.

An unrelated question for you. I read in one of the other threads that ILR applications need to be submitted within 10 weeks, otherwise it's auto deleted? Is that true? If yes - I will need to start from scratch at a later point in time.
I am not sure if its 6 weeks or 10 weeks but its when there is no activity. As long you keep logging back in within that period, it should be okay.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks Cullinan. That sounds more logical. I will make sure I keep logging in to avoid losing the application. I will come back with more questions soon! Thanks again.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi guys,

As I start preparing my documents - I have a separate question related to change in address. We moved our home 3 weeks ago and I have applied online to change our address.

I understand I will need documents which will have my name and address for the last 3 months - hopefully Electricity bill/ Council tax/Water bill are enough for this?

Also - I filled up the form online in the URL here (https://visa-address-update.service.gov.uk/). Is this the right address to update Home office about the change in address? I just received an email confirmation - but nothing by post yet ( I changed it online over 2 weeks ago). Is there anything else I need to do update Home Office?

Thanks for your help, as always.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Have you already applied? If not, why are you updating your address with UKVI?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Thecaptaine wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Is there anything else I need to do update Home Office?

Assuming you have already applied. No except leaving the old accomodation amicably for making it feasible in collecting your posts as ukvi most often doesn't update the address and the reason is unknown.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 pm

Thecaptaine wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Hi guys,

As I start preparing my documents - I have a separate question related to change in address. We moved our home 3 weeks ago and I have applied online to change our address.

I understand I will need documents which will have my name and address for the last 3 months - hopefully Electricity bill/ Council tax/Water bill are enough for this?

Also - I filled up the form online in the URL here (https://visa-address-update.service.gov.uk/). Is this the right address to update Home office about the change in address? I just received an email confirmation - but nothing by post yet ( I changed it online over 2 weeks ago). Is there anything else I need to do update Home Office?

Thanks for your help, as always.
Due to corona, the address change may take longer. It is usually more of a concern if you have a pending application and are expecting correspondence. Otherwise, it is more of a precautionary measure in case HO contacts you (very rare cases for example, if your visa is revoked etc). Do not worry about it.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Thanks for your quick response Cullinan!!

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Guys - I was reading up about IDV vs in-person bio-metrics and from the sounds of it the IDV applicants were pushed to the backlog whilst the people who gave their biometrics in person seem to have their applications processed faster. This is just based on the samples that I saw online, so not sure if it's 100% accurate. But ,is this still the case? If and when I get a chance to sort this out in Jan (and, if the option presents itself) , should I prioritize doing this in-person as opposed to IDV?

Also, based on your experience, does it make any difference to apply by yourself as opposed to a solicitor?

Finally, my spouse - who is on a Dependent visa is eligible to apply for ILR a week after me. Does it make any difference if we apply together or apply individually a week apart? Or should I apply first - wait for the process to get sorted out and then apply for her SET(O) PBS dependent visa?

I want to apply as soon as I am eligible , so I will probably go ahead and apply first. But I'm just considering my options. Thanks for your response and guidance, as always.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Thecaptaine wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:12 pm
Guys - I was reading up about IDV vs in-person bio-metrics and from the sounds of it the IDV applicants were pushed to the backlog whilst the people who gave their biometrics in person seem to have their applications processed faster. This is just based on the samples that I saw online, so not sure if it's 100% accurate. But ,is this still the case? If and when I get a chance to sort this out in Jan (and, if the option presents itself) , should I prioritize doing this in-person as opposed to IDV?
IDV is the past. You must book an appointment now

Also, based on your experience, does it make any difference to apply by yourself as opposed to a solicitor?
No difference

Finally, my spouse - who is on a Dependent visa is eligible to apply for ILR a week after me. Does it make any difference if we apply together or apply individually a week apart? Or should I apply first - wait for the process to get sorted out and then apply for her SET(O) PBS dependent visa?
Does not matter. However she must apply after she qualifies AND before her visa expiry

I want to apply as soon as I am eligible , so I will probably go ahead and apply first. But I'm just considering my options. Thanks for your response and guidance, as always.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Cullinan. Appreciate your prompt help, as always.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:43 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:05 pm
Thecaptaine wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:24 pm

See:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 0_v1.1.pdf

indefinite-leave-to-remain/employer-let ... 67381.html

Hi all,

I had a question on the above. The 1st pdf document link is no longer valid - so I don't know what that document looks like . Is there another sample for that?

And the 2nd link which provides the sample employer letter looks fairly straight forward. However, I have travelled a fair bit (both for work and in a personal capacity) over the last 5 years. Getting the dates sorted in a single piece of paper as was flagged in the sample will not be possible. What is the best way to handle it if there are over over 70 such entries of travelling outside of the UK?

Thank you for your response, as always!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:18 pm

All your employer needs to verify is that your annual leave was authorised by them and any work related trips outside UK.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:59 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:18 pm
All your employer needs to verify is that your annual leave was authorised by them and any work related trips outside UK.
Thank you for your prompt response Cullinan. Don't I also need to collate the list of days I was outside the UK to ensure that I can prove that I was not out of the country for more than 180 days in a 12 month period? I thought that was the point of that document?

Do I even need a document for that or just a letter from the employer saying annual leaves were authorized by them is good enough?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:59 pm

You will list your absences in the online form itself. Employer letter should verify your annual leave was authorised.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:12 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:59 pm
You will list your absences in the online form itself. Employer letter should verify your annual leave was authorised.
Perfect - thank you for clearing that out Cullinan. For some reason, in my head this was far more convoluted than what you've just explained. Cheers.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Note, online form only lets you add 30 entries. Rest you can add on an excel sheet and upload with your documents. Absences are only full day absences from UK. Departure/Arrival date from/to UK is not included.

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:35 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:18 pm
Note, online form only lets you add 30 entries. Rest you can add on an excel sheet and upload with your documents. Absences are only full day absences from UK. Departure/Arrival date from/to UK is not included.
Thanks for that info ,Cullinan. Really useful! Cheers!

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Happy new year to the forum members and admin!

I am just over a week away from submitting my application and on reviewing what I have so far - I decided to get some questions clarified one last time.

-->The format I have used for absence letter is as follows (HR can provide it in this format)

|Date left UK|Date reached location|Date left location|Date reached UK|Location|Comment|Number of days spent outside UK|

If anything, I am probably giving them more information than needed, but I rather err on the side of caution.I hope this is fine?

-->In the leaves and absences section , I am providing a generic reason business trip or planned holiday. I have added some explanations to make it clearer. How detail does this need to be?

-->I have 47 different rows for leave of absence and I have filled in the maximum allowed 30. I will be attaching the document in full with my list of leaves as additional evidence. How do I attach this document to the portal? Or is this to bring in on the day of the bio-metric process?

-->I can see some forum members have mentioned a cover letter. Is this necessary? If yes , what information do I need to add to it?

--> My wife is going to remain on tier-2 dependent visa until my ILR process is sorted. She is eligible to apply a week after my application. Is her tier-2 dependent visa going to be valid irrespective of the status of my visa? Also - is this something I need to flag/highlight anywhere? (possibly ,cover letter?)

-->This is a little daft, and apologies for the question - but in the section " Provide details of Countries you've lived in", do I also need to specify my country of birth there? I have added that in my application for now.

Finally in the documents checklist - I can see there is a declaration document signed by the candidate to confirm consent for the Home Office to request verification checks. Is this something I need to provide in writing separately?

Thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate all the help I've received!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm

Thecaptaine wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:20 pm

I am just over a week away from submitting my application and on reviewing what I have so far - I decided to get some questions clarified one last time.

-->The format I have used for absence letter is as follows (HR can provide it in this format)

|Date left UK|Date reached location|Date left location|Date reached UK|Location|Comment|Number of days spent outside UK|

If anything, I am probably giving them more information than needed, but I rather err on the side of caution.I hope this is fine?
No issue

-->In the leaves and absences section , I am providing a generic reason business trip or planned holiday. I have added some explanations to make it clearer. How detail does this need to be?
one-two words is enough

-->I have 47 different rows for leave of absence and I have filled in the maximum allowed 30. I will be attaching the document in full with my list of leaves as additional evidence. How do I attach this document to the portal? Or is this to bring in on the day of the bio-metric process?
Add an A4 sheet/excel sheet and upload with other documents

-->I can see some forum members have mentioned a cover letter. Is this necessary? If yes , what information do I need to add to it?
No

--> My wife is going to remain on tier-2 dependent visa until my ILR process is sorted. She is eligible to apply a week after my application. Is her tier-2 dependent visa going to be valid irrespective of the status of my visa? Also - is this something I need to flag/highlight anywhere? (possibly ,cover letter?)
No. Your wife can stay on Tier 2 dep visa as long it is valid. She must apply before her current visa expiry though irrespective if you have a decision then or not. Her application will be synced with yours and only decided after you get a decision in this case

-->This is a little daft, and apologies for the question - but in the section " Provide details of Countries you've lived in", do I also need to specify my country of birth there? I have added that in my application for now.
The question asks to list country of birth also

Finally in the documents checklist - I can see there is a declaration document signed by the candidate to confirm consent for the Home Office to request verification checks. Is this something I need to provide in writing separately?
No. Only the consent for which has 3 parts. Sign that applies

Thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate all the help I've received!

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 pm

As always, thank you for your prompt response Cullinan. Really appreciate it. Helpful, as always!
CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:02 pm
Thecaptaine wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:20 pm

No issue

one-two words is enough

Add an A4 sheet/excel sheet and upload with other documents

No

No. Your wife can stay on Tier 2 dep visa as long it is valid. She must apply before her current visa expiry though irrespective if you have a decision then or not. Her application will be synced with yours and only decided after you get a decision in this case

The question asks to list country of birth also

No. Only the consent for which has 3 parts. Sign that applies

Thecaptaine
Newly Registered
India

Post by Thecaptaine » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi admins/Cullinan!

I am sure it's my paranoia setting in as there's only a few days left before I can submit the application - but I just want to run this past you guys once.

I just checked a scan of my first BRP and surprisingly it says it was issued on 26-01-2016(not sure how that's possible!)
However, my Tier-2 visa sticker on my passport has a valid from date of 07-02-2016 which I used to enter the country.
I actually entered the UK on this visa on 23-02-2016.

I am using the 07-02-2016 as my base date to calculate 28 days before I can apply - which brings me to 10th January. Can somebody please confirm if 07-02-2016 is the right date to be used as a baseline? Thank you so much!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:55 pm

To be on the safer side, I always suggest to take the entry date as the reference point i.e. 23/2/2021 minus 28 days in your case.

But you can apply now and to be on the safe side book biometrics for only when you reach 23/2/2021 minus 28 days.

These days biometrics are running at a 28 day lag anyways. So even if you book tonight, earliest slot you will get is for 4th Feb (unless you are lucky to get any earlier cancellation) which falls well within the above.