ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 dependant ILR after my husband gets his UK citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Tier 1 dependant ILR after my husband gets his UK citizenship

Post by Tat2505 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 am

I am currently on Tier 1 dependent visa valid till May 2020. I am eligible to apply for ILR in April 2019. My husband has now become a UK citizen.
While preparing his documents an immigration advisor at our local council hall through which he applied for his citizenship said that since he will become a UK citizen - I, as his Tier 1 depended, will be eligible to apply for UK citizenship right away in April without applying for ILR.

I was trying to find more information, however became even more confused as some adviced that i would havr to switch to family visa.

was granted Tier 1 dependent visa on my 1st entry to UK and a 3 year extension given later when my husband was holding a ILR. My husband got his U citizenship via completing 5 year route point based Tier 1 General. He was 2 years earlier in the UK than I.

marcnath

Re: Tier 1 dependant after my husband gets his UK citizenship

Post by marcnath » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:47 am

Tat2505 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 am
I am currently on Tier 1 dependent visa valid till May 2020. I am eligible to apply for ILR in April 2019. My husband has now become a UK citizen.
While preparing his documents an immigration advisor at our local council hall through which he applied for his citizenship said that since he will become a UK citizen - I, as his Tier 1 depended, will be eligible to apply for UK citizenship right away in April without applying for ILR.

I was trying to find more information, however became even more confused as some adviced that i would havr to switch to family visa.

was granted Tier 1 dependent visa on my 1st entry to UK and a 3 year extension given later when my husband was holding a ILR. My husband got his U citizenship via completing 5 year route point based Tier 1 General. He was 2 years earlier in the UK than I.
First and most important, do not switch your visa. Assuming you are from outside the EEA, it will just reset your ILR clock.

You have to apply and get your ILR first.

However, as your husband is a British citizen, you do not need to wait for another year to apply for citizenship. You can do that immediately after you get your ILR.

Details here.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

vinny

Re: Tier 1 dependant after my husband gets his UK citizenship

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 am

Tat2505 wrote:
No.
Tat2505 wrote:
Possible, but not preferable.
Tat2505 wrote:
Extend, if and when necessary. Apply for ILR as a PBS dependant when eligible under 319E.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Tier 1 dependant ILR after my husband gets his UK citizenship

Post by Tat2505 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:27 pm

nk you very much for your advice.
Do you think there won’t be any problem coming into UK from traveling with Tier 1 dependant while my husband wil be already British Citizen?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Tat2505 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:27 pm
nk you very much for your advice.
Do you think there won’t be any problem coming into UK from traveling with Tier 1 dependant while my husband wil be already British Citizen?
No
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Keeping Tier 1 dependant while Tier 1 sponsor becomes citizen

Post by Tat2505 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Hello,

I completed my consecutive 5 years and up until recently I was under my Indefinite Leave to Remain “ILR”. I just received notice that I have been granted a British citizenship and I will be attending the ceremony to take oath to the Crown in December. I originally came to the UK under a tier 1 General visa.

My question is about my wife, who is in the UK with me and will have had completed her consecutive 5 years timeline in the UK in April of 2019 ( next year). She is in the UK as my spouse and here originally under my tier 1 visa. She is a Russian national.

Our understanding is that in April when she will be eligible to apply for ILR, as soon as she gets it - she can then apply to a British citizenship right away without waiting 1 year. Correct?

Our main concern is - can she keep her current visa ( Tier 1 Dependant ) until April while she finishes her 5 year timeline while I will become British Citizen in a few weeks? We came across information that as soon as I will become British Citizen Tatyana will need to switch her visa to a Family visa which will erase her 5 year timeline?
If this is the case can I postpone getting British Citizenship (and British passport) until April?

Lastly, she is able to travel outside of the UK and return without any problems between now and April, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Keeping Tier 1 dependant while Tier 1 sponsor becomes citizen

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Tat2505 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:05 pm
Hello,

I completed my consecutive 5 years and up until recently I was under my Indefinite Leave to Remain “ILR”. I just received notice that I have been granted a British citizenship and I will be attending the ceremony to take oath to the Crown in December. I originally came to the UK under a tier 1 General visa.

My question is about my wife, who is in the UK with me and will have had completed her consecutive 5 years timeline in the UK in April of 2019 ( next year). She is in the UK as my spouse and here originally under my tier 1 visa. She is a Russian national.

Our understanding is that in April when she will be eligible to apply for ILR, as soon as she gets it - she can then apply to a British citizenship right away without waiting 1 year. Correct?

Our main concern is - can she keep her current visa ( Tier 1 Dependant ) until April while she finishes her 5 year timeline while I will become British Citizen in a few weeks? We came across information that as soon as I will become British Citizen Tatyana will need to switch her visa to a Family visa which will erase her 5 year timeline?
If this is the case can I postpone getting British Citizenship (and British passport) until April?

Lastly, she is able to travel outside of the UK and return without any problems between now and April, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
Your question has already been answered above.

She is free to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Tat2505 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Thank you. But can she keep her Tier 1 or she needs to switch to Family Spouse Visa?

Many many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Tat2505 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm
Thank you. But can she keep her Tier 1 or she needs to switch to Family Spouse Visa?

Many many thanks
Already answered, with links!!
vinny wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 am
Tat2505 wrote:
Tat2505 wrote:
Possible, but not preferable.
Tat2505 wrote:
Extend, if and when necessary. Apply for ILR as a PBS dependant when eligible under 319E.
marcnath wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:47 am
Tat2505 wrote:

First and most important, do not switch your visa. Assuming you are from outside the EEA, it will just reset your ILR clock.
[/quote]
Char (CR001 not Casa)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Tat2505 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Many many thanks
YES :!:
If a person was granted ILR under PBS (and even later granted British citizenship), his/her dependants will remain under PBS until they are eligible for ILR under PBS. NO NEED TO SWITCH TO ANY OTHER ROUTE
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Tat2505 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Thank you very much for your help!

Apologies for being stubborn.
The links above are:

7.11. Corrections are being made to enforce the intention <http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... ml#p818981> that only dependants of individuals who qualified for settlement under the Points-Based System can apply for settlement as dependants of Points-Based System Migrants. Previously the Immigration Rules allowed dependents of those who qualified for settlement on the basis of long residence to also apply. The change will mean such dependants will need to apply for leave to remain under the rules for family members in Appendix FM <https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members> before they can qualify for settlement.

I still read it as Tier 1 Dependant will have to switch to FM visa as soon as Tier 1 sponsor gets his citizenship?

I want to make sure as it might erase the timeline...

Once again many many thanks!!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:13 pm

You are reading it wrong and completely missing the point that it applies to PBS Dependents of applicants applying for ILR based on 10 years long residence and NOT citizenship!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I still read it as Tier 1 Dependant will have to switch to FM visa as soon as Tier 1 sponsor gets his citizenship?
How ?? It says that dependents of migrants who were granted under LONG RESIDENCE will have to apply under FLR(M) route.
This has NO relevance for dependants of the migrants granted ILR under PBS ROUTE
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Tat2505 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Got it! Tank you very much!!

Tat2505
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Tat2505 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am

I am so sorry.

I just received a reply from an immigration solicitor saying:

Your time counting towards ILR will start over sadly, you will need to spend 5 years on the Spousal visa.

But strictly speaking and technically you would be considered an illegal migrant, unless you switch to the spouse category ASAP.

You should not be holding a dependent visa when the main visa holder ceased to exist. Your only chance to regularize your immigration status is to switch to the Spousal visa. The rules will allow that, but they will not allow you to apply for ILR when the main visa holder does not exist.

I am very confused as I get totally different answers..

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:07 am

S/he is mistaken. The rules were changed in 2012.

319C. includes
(b) The applicant must be the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who:
(i) has valid leave to enter or remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or
(ii) is, at the same time, being granted entry clearance or leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or
(iii) has indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or is at the same time being granted indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, where the applicant is applying for further leave to remain, or has been refused indefinite leave to remain solely because the applicant has not met the requirements of paragraph 319E(g), and was last granted leave:
(1) as the partner of that same Relevant Points Based System Migrant: or
(2) as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules; or
(iv) has become a British Citizen where prior to that they held indefinite leave to Remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant and where the applicant is applying for further leave to remain, or has been refused indefinite leave to remain solely because the application has not met the requirements of paragraph 319E(g), and was last granted leave:
(1) as the partner of that same Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or
(2) as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of that person at a time when that person had leave under another category of these Rules.

and

319D. includes
Period and conditions of grant
(a) (i) Entry clearance or limited leave to remain will be granted for a period which expires on the same day as the leave granted to the Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or (ii) If the Relevant Points-Based System Migrant has indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or is, at the same time being granted indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or where the Relevant Points-Based System Migrant has since become a British Citizen, leave to remain will be granted to the applicant for a period of 3 years.
They permit you to extend as a PBS dependant.

You may apply also for ILR under 319E as a PBS dependant, as this includes
(b) The applicant must be the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who:
(i) has indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant; or
(ii) is, at the same time being granted indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or
(iii) has become a British Citizen where prior to that they held indefinite leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant.
Do inform her/him accordingly! If s/he has charged you for supplying incorrect advice, then ask her/him for a refund. Perhaps you could send her/him an invoice for your correction?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Tat2505 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am
I am so sorry.

I just received a reply from an immigration solicitor saying:

Your time counting towards ILR will start over sadly, you will need to spend 5 years on the Spousal visa.

But strictly speaking and technically you would be considered an illegal migrant, unless you switch to the spouse category ASAP.

You should not be holding a dependent visa when the main visa holder ceased to exist. Your only chance to regularize your immigration status is to switch to the Spousal visa. The rules will allow that, but they will not allow you to apply for ILR when the main visa holder does not exist.

I am very confused as I get totally different answers..
As noted by vinny, your solicitor is completely and utterly wrong as per immigration rules. You also cannot be an illegal migrant with a valid leave in the UK. That is nonsense too. We have seen hundreds of advice given to applicants by solicitors that are flat out wrong and incorrect. There are so many cases of refusal reported here because migrants followed incorrect advice from the solicitors. I suggest to always demand solicitors to support their claims by pointing you to the actual rules/legislation and do NOT trust them when they cannot support their claims.