Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Post Reply
MrDeen
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 pm
Spain

6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by MrDeen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello guys, I am due to apply for naturalization based on 5yr non-EU residency. I had a total of 48 days outside the state instead of the 42 allowed, non-continuous in 2015. I was wondering if that's significant enough.
Secondly, when calculating the number of days in the citizenship calculator, do i start counting from the stamp I was given at the airport when I landed or the the one I got with my first GNIB?
Anyone with ideas?

Alixlboy
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:12 pm
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by Alixlboy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 am

Yes - That absence must be deducted in full (i.e. 48 days must be deducted from your residence before you apply). One guy on this forum got his app refused just because of difference of one day of absence from the state.
Plus, If you have any letter of approval from INIS, you can submit that as a proof of residence. Don't know what should be done in the absence of that letter. I think the stamp you got when you landed does count as well, but just send them an email to be sure. Must be very careful about these things. They weren't an issue in the past, but now they are (for some unknown reasons).

yala93
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Mood:
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by yala93 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Deduct absences 48 days in full from total no. of days you lived here.

The last year of residence must be continuous and you are allowed only 42 days out of the State.

Stamps: from the day you arrived to country X to exit. If you have stamp on the arrival back to Ireland you might need to count that day as well. They are very picky on that now.

MrDeen
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 pm
Spain

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by MrDeen » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks guys.
Just as an addendum, I have a couple of friends that applied, and I have noticed people from certain countries tend to get hold up for up to two yrs, whilst others within 6months, even though both non-EU countries. Anyone else noticed this?

Iggy4
Newly Registered
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 pm
Mood:
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by Iggy4 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

two situations:

one friend from Poland got decision within 2.5 months
2nd friend from Poland working in Dublin got decision after 16 months

both people living in Ireland from 2006 :) - *sisters* :)

so even with EU citizenship is now all over the place.

UA2IRL
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 pm
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by UA2IRL » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 pm

I just got my second citizenship application refusal. 5 years non-EU. My first application was refused because I didn't know their internal rules for deduction days. So I followed just official rules.
This time I waited till number of days out of IRL dropped to circa 42 days on my application date but they refused my application again. Their explanation was: despite I have enough residency days (>1825) I still dont have enough residency 1 year prior application and as explanation they added printed Residency Calculator where they filled some of my Stamps and ALL of my arrivals and departures for recent 2-3 years. But thats crazy because Calcator is to calcate residency based on Stamps (registrations) but not for all absences. Obviously Calcator said I have not enough residency for 1 year prior application - but thats because I went on holidays for 4 days 3 months ago. The whole situation is crazy. Do they require to stay in IRL the whole year before application? So 6 weeks "rule" is only for first 4 years - but not for last 5th year?

sanzo
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 pm
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by sanzo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 am

UA2IRL wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 pm
I just got my second citizenship application refusal. 5 years non-EU. My first application was refused because I didn't know their internal rules for deduction days. So I followed just official rules.
This time I waited till number of days out of IRL dropped to circa 42 days on my application date but they refused my application again. Their explanation was: despite I have enough residency days (>1825) I still dont have enough residency 1 year prior application and as explanation they added printed Residency Calculator where they filled some of my Stamps and ALL of my arrivals and departures for recent 2-3 years. But thats crazy because Calcator is to calcate residency based on Stamps (registrations) but not for all absences. Obviously Calcator said I have not enough residency for 1 year prior application - but thats because I went on holidays for 4 days 3 months ago. The whole situation is crazy. Do they require to stay in IRL the whole year before application? So 6 weeks "rule" is only for first 4 years - but not for last 5th year?
That's bizarre! So, how many exact days you are not in the country 1 year prior to the application date?

Mal111
Member of Standing
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:44 am

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by Mal111 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 pm

that's incorrect i asked them before applying that i travel for 10 days in the last years (year prior to application) and i had an email from them that says 10 days travel will be counted as continues residence and will not effect my application.

yala93
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Mood:
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by yala93 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 am

Mal111 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 pm
that's incorrect i asked them before applying that i travel for 10 days in the last years (year prior to application) and i had an email from them that says 10 days travel will be counted as continues residence and will not effect my application.
Strange. My solicitor told me that they saw cases when they punish people even with 1 day. Is any days of that year you were on business travel? If you get this written from the employer, that could help.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:44 am

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by Mal111 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am

No business travel it was holidays and i ask them clearly in my email that im going on holidays
Citizenship office were very clear in their email reply
‘’ travelling for 10 days in the year prior to application will not have any effect on your application provided that you have relevant permission to stay in Ireland for the period your travelling ’’
i applied 2 years ago and i am still waiting for the decision but i don’t think they can refuse me on this because i have a written correspondence from them i-e email saying that it’s not an issue.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:44 am

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by Mal111 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am

You may have misunderstood your solicitor because travelling in last year doesn’t affect your application unless your absent for over 6 weeks the only key point is that you should not have any gap in your stamps in the final year even a gap of 1 day will make your application ineligible.
For example if you intend to apply on 01 june 2018 and you have a 1 day gap in your stamp on 05th on November 2017 you cannot apply by just waiting for 1 more day and send your application on the 02nd of june 2018 you have to wait until 06th of November 2018 and then send your application

Jordans
Newly Registered
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by Jordans » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 am

yala93 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm
Deduct absences 48 days in full from total no. of days you lived here.
Alixlboy wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 am
Yes - That absence must be deducted in full (i.e. 48 days must be deducted from your residence before you apply). One guy on this forum got his app refused just because of difference of one day of absence from the state.
Why in full, why all 48 days, not just 6 (it is just 6 days over the allowed 42 - the entire of 42 days' absences are permitted any year, are they not?)? Where does it say that in the previous four years you have to substract all of your absences from your total residence? Please point me in the right direction. I am in the same boat and would like to get clarity before application. Thanks!

yala93
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Mood:
Ireland

Re: 6 weeks absence - how long is too long?

Post by yala93 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 am

Jordans wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 am
yala93 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 pm
Deduct absences 48 days in full from total no. of days you lived here.
Alixlboy wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 am
Yes - That absence must be deducted in full (i.e. 48 days must be deducted from your residence before you apply). One guy on this forum got his app refused just because of difference of one day of absence from the state.
Why in full, why all 48 days, not just 6 (it is just 6 days over the allowed 42 - the entire of 42 days' absences are permitted any year, are they not?)? Where does it say that in the previous four years you have to substract all of your absences from your total residence? Please point me in the right direction. I am in the same boat and would like to get clarity before application. Thanks!
It does not say anywhere that's the point. At this point it is only a guess

Post Reply
cron