ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

€950 naturalisation fee for those on low incomes

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BuffonPost
Newly Registered
Romania

€950 naturalisation fee for those on low incomes

Post by BuffonPost » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:16 am

Hello,

I am anticipating to hear back news regarding a successful naturalisation application, but I wonder do many people on low incomes struggle paying the €950 naturalisation fee? While I am full time employed, the €175 application and the many many smaller expenses regarding the process were already very difficult to pay.

I have inquired, but there seems to be no way around the €950 naturalisation fee, and looking at my paycheck I am just at a checkmate at how to pay for it, especially with medical expenses that I have. I understand one option is to take out loans etc, but even if possible, it will add to a financial chasm I am already in. For various reasons I very much would be grateful to receive it of course, and I have already paid the application fee etc...but since I am already a EU citizen I just wonder if the steep price will be worth it - which again might be a mute question since I don't see how my paycheck can afford it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: €950 naturalisation fee for those on low incomes

Post by littlerr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:23 pm

There is no way around the fees. This question was raised a couple of times in the Parliament and the Minister of Justice has given the same reply every time. This fee has not been changed for many years (950 euro is already much 'cheaper' now than that 10 years ago).

You are already an EU national (Romanian based on your flag) so an Irish passport will only give you a few extra benefits:
- An Irish passport may allow you to travel to a few extra countries without a visa (e.g. USA)
- You can vote in referendums, presidential elections and general elections
- You can live and work in the UK without any restriction after Brexit

It's completely up to you to decide whether the 175 + 950 euro fee is worthy of the benefits above.