ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone ever successful with citizenship by Irish associations?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

NYIrish
Newly Registered
United States of America

Anyone ever successful with citizenship by Irish associations?

Post by NYIrish » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:07 pm

Hello,
I've read that it's remotely possible to obtain Irish citizenship via "Irish association" which is granted at the sole discretion of the Minister of Justice. My situation is that I'll soon be moving to Ireland permanently on an already approved Stamp 0 (retirement) visa, From what I can glean, my application for citizenship by "Irish association" would only be considered after 3 years of residence in Ireland, which I'm fine with. My Irish associations are my great grandparents who were born in Ireland, and immigrated as young adults to the US. My late Mom, although eligible never applied in her lifetime for Irish citizenship. As there's scant information regarding successful applicants for this route (unless one is a Kennedy, film star or famous athlete!), my question is:
is anyone ever successful ? Many thanks !

meself2
Ireland

Re: Anyone ever successful with citizenship by Irish associations?

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:53 pm

Some people did (ireland/citizenship-by-descent-association-t324363.html for more information), but IMO if you're not sure, wait for another 2 years.

Also, Stamp 0 does not count for reckonable residence (ie time spent on it aren't counted towards naturalization), so you'd have to stay in Ireland on another basis to be eligible to apply.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-cont ... cation.pdf
The immigration
stamp applicable will be Stamp 0. This category would not be
reckonable for Long Term residence or naturalisation.
[...]
In
effect persons receiving permission under Stamp 0 would be fully aware
that it does not carry an expectation of leading to citizenship.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:19 pm

second source: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 10-09/191/
I am further advised that a permission on Stamp 0 conditions is a low level immigration status which is not intended to be reckonable for long term residence or citizenship.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

tugii20
Ireland

Post by tugii20 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:13 am

NYIrish wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:07 pm
Hello,
I've read that it's remotely possible to obtain Irish citizenship via "Irish association" which is granted at the sole discretion of the Minister of Justice. My situation is that I'll soon be moving to Ireland permanently on an already approved Stamp 0 (retirement) visa, From what I can glean, my application for citizenship by "Irish association" would only be considered after 3 years of residence in Ireland, which I'm fine with. My Irish associations are my great grandparents who were born in Ireland, and immigrated as young adults to the US. My late Mom, although eligible never applied in her lifetime for Irish citizenship. As there's scant information regarding successful applicants for this route (unless one is a Kennedy, film star or famous athlete!), my question is:
is anyone ever successful ? Many thanks !
even though you have an Irish association, you still have to provide tons of documents,