ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for FBR. Is this discrepancy on my fathers birth cert a big deal?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bluegill
United States of America

Applying for FBR. Is this discrepancy on my fathers birth cert a big deal?

Post by Bluegill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 pm

I have my grandmothers long form birth cert. She was born in Dublin. Her death cert show Dublin Ireland as well.

However on my dads birth cert it says she was born in England (parents place of birth are listed). Obviously this is wrong. She grew up in England so maybe that’s why she listed England? Idk what she was thinking.

Either way, since I have her Irish birth cert and death cert shows Ireland I shouldn’t get any hassle about it, right?

Bluegill
United States of America

Re: Applying for FBR. Is this discrepancy on my fathers birth cert a big deal?

Post by Bluegill » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Anyone?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:37 pm

I don't have experience with such a discrepancy, but perhaps the answer to my questions might give you reason for optimism.

Does your grandparent's marriage certificate specify your grandmother's birth place as Ireland? Does it also specify her parent's names, and if so, do those names match the names on her birth certificate? It would likely be a problem if her parents names on the marriage certificate were "Patrick Callahan and Mary Murphy", but on the birth certificate were "John Feeney and Margaret O'Brien". But as long as they are the same, that should be a positive thing.

Others have said that DFA is used to seeing some discrepancies. I would hope that if everything else in your documentation "connects", they would make allowances.

Bluegill
United States of America

Post by Bluegill » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 pm

No the marriage cert doesn’t list my grandmother or grandfathers place of birth.

Yes her fathers name is on the marriage cert. Yes her fathers name is the same, but his middle name is different (he sometimes used his fathers name as his middle). First and last name are correct though.

I suppose if I had to I could have my dad correct his birth cert to show her correct place of birth. Seems silly to have to do that when I have her long form Irish birth cert, her death cert shows she’s from Ireland, and I also have a baptismal cert with her parents name on it.

rorz12
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by rorz12 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Bluegill wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 pm
I have my grandmothers long form birth cert. She was born in Dublin. Her death cert show Dublin Ireland as well.

However on my dads birth cert it says she was born in England (parents place of birth are listed). Obviously this is wrong. She grew up in England so maybe that’s why she listed England? Idk what she was thinking.

Either way, since I have her Irish birth cert and death cert shows Ireland I shouldn’t get any hassle about it, right?
I wouldn't worry about it, because you have the original long form Irish birth certificate for her which says she's born in Ireland, and I think that's much more important.

Discrepancies on the UK documents are common, I had one on my Grandmas UK death certificate where they screwed up the birth year and switched the first and second name. Also, a lot of Irish that moved to the UK wanted to start new lives in England and it probably benefited them to lie a bit and say they were born in England for example.

Regardless, I think the embassy and register come across these problems a lot, as my FBR went through normal and received it a few weeks ago. If your Grandfather is Irish too, include those as well, I sent both.