ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel with an old passport - no dual citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dee2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Can I travel with an old passport - no dual citizenship

Post by Dee2019 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:07 am

Hi,

I tried to search for a similar topic but I couldn't find it. I received a letter to receive my Irish citizenship on the 29th April. I am from the country that doesn't allow dual citizenship so I was wondering can I use my old passport until I receive my Irish one? I have few trips coming up (one being next Friday) and the other one mid May.
I know that I can apply for Irish passport once I receive citizenship (but that can take up to 6weeks) but does anyone know if I can still travel with my old one or does it become invalid straight away?
Thanks!

barisaslan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Can I travel with an old passport - no dual citizenship

Post by barisaslan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 am

I think it would depend on your current passport. Which passport do you hold at the moment? If it's a non-EU passport, I'm not sure how easy it'd be to travel after receipt of citizenship as you would need a GNIB, stamps etc.

However, if it was an EU passport, for instance, a German passport, then I reckon it could be 'ok'.

Dee2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dee2019 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 am

It is an EU passport that I hold at the moment. Do you know who can I contact that would give me information on this? I don't want to arrive at the airport and have issues :roll:
Also I am guessing my old passport is valid until 29th April anyway?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am

Of course you can. Ireland recognises dual citizenship, so it couldn’t care less what your other passport is. Your other passport, in the eyes of Ireland, is valid until whenever the passport expires.

As long as you don’t tell your current country of citizenship that you have acquired a new passport, there will not be any trouble travelling at all.

I am travelling abroad on 30 Apr. Can’t see who would be stopping me from doing so.

Dee2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dee2019 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:43 am

Great, thanks so much for the info!

Ash_g
Ireland

Post by Ash_g » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:30 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am
Of course you can. Ireland recognises dual citizenship, so it couldn’t care less what your other passport is. Your other passport, in the eyes of Ireland, is valid until whenever the passport expires.

As long as you don’t tell your current country of citizenship that you have acquired a new passport, there will not be any trouble travelling at all.

I am travelling abroad on 30 Apr. Can’t see who would be stopping me from doing so.

I'm also travelling same date as you, will you be travelling with your current passport. I went to burgh quay the other day saying if I can get a temp passport as I'm travelling etc the lady said if you have your citizenship ceremony before you travel, Just travel with the naturalisation certificate and you still have the residence stamp on your passport so you'll be okay. I hope so. Are u doing the same or you've got any tips 😊

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Ash_g wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:30 pm
littlerr wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am

I'm also travelling same date as you, will you be travelling with your current passport. I went to burgh quay the other day saying if I can get a temp passport as I'm travelling etc the lady said if you have your citizenship ceremony before you travel, Just travel with the naturalisation certificate and you still have the residence stamp on your passport so you'll be okay. I hope so. Are u doing the same or you've got any tips 😊
I have colleagues who have done the same previously. I’m not even bothered to bring the naturalisation certificate with me as I don’t want to risk it getting lost. I will make a copy and bring the copy with me.

joeyf
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by joeyf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Dee2019 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:07 am
Hi,

I tried to search for a similar topic but I couldn't find it. I received a letter to receive my Irish citizenship on the 29th April. I am from the country that doesn't allow dual citizenship so I was wondering can I use my old passport until I receive my Irish one? I have few trips coming up (one being next Friday) and the other one mid May.
I know that I can apply for Irish passport once I receive citizenship (but that can take up to 6weeks) but does anyone know if I can still travel with my old one or does it become invalid straight away?
Thanks!
Simple answer is NO, you cannot travel of an expired travel document, including an expired passport.

Why not just simply renew your passport using the premium service available.

Dee2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dee2019 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:12 am

joeyf - my passport is not expired. It is valid until July. My country doesn’t allow dual citizenship.

joeyf
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by joeyf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Well, simply just don't tell them

When you've formally recieved your travel documentation i.e IRISH PASSPORT

Than do whatever you want