ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadians moving to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

katiesteele
Newly Registered

Canadians moving to Ireland

Post by katiesteele » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:55 am

Hello!

I am a Canadian with an EU Passport, moving to Ireland (potentially) in a few months. My question is......can my husband, also Canadian work in Ireland too. If so, what is needed before he can do this?

Thanks!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Canadians moving to Ireland

Post by JAJ » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:13 am

katiesteele wrote:Hello!

I am a Canadian with an EU Passport, moving to Ireland (potentially) in a few months. My question is......can my husband, also Canadian work in Ireland too. If so, what is needed before he can do this?
What EU state are you a citizen of?

Your husband can move to Ireland but needs an Irish-issued "EEA Family Permit".

After 5 years in Ireland, he can apply for Irish citizenship by naturalisation (as can you). However processing times for this are long - 2 to 3 years at the moment.

Any children you have born in Ireland will be Irish citizens by birth provided you have lived there legally for 3 years preceding the birth (unless you're a British citizen, in that case the 3 year residence rule does not apply).

katiesteele
Newly Registered

Post by katiesteele » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:52 am

Hi JAJ

I hold an EU Passport through my father, who is Irish by birth. Therefore, I am a citizen of Ireland, I think!

Thanks for your quick response!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:52 am

katiesteele wrote: I hold an EU Passport through my father, who is Irish by birth. Therefore, I am a citizen of Ireland, I think!
There is no such thing as an "EU passport". The EU is not a country!

You hold an Irish passport (which is issued in a common format with those of other EU member states) and if you look at the ID page it should describe your nationality as "Irish" or "Irish citizen".

Forget all that has been posted above. As an Irish citizen you cannot sponsor under EEA rules unless you have lived in another EEA state immediately prior to this. If you intend to live in the Republic of Ireland, you must sponsor for a spouse visa under Irish domestic law. Contact the Irish Embassy where you live and ask for instructions.

Any children you have born in Ireland will be Irish citizens by birth (and Canadians by descent).

Your husband will be able to become a naturalised Irish citizen after 3 years residence, although processing times may be very long (2-3 additional years).