ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change course as international student

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Hannah1263
Newly Registered
Ireland

Change course as international student

Post by Hannah1263 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:05 pm

Hi, I'm wanting to know if anyone has been successful in changing their course as an international student? I have started my course and it really isn't what I thought it was going to be. I am struggling. I really do not want to fail and waste a year as well as a ton of money in fees. I want to succeed and make something of myself in Ireland. My view is to change course, but still remain at the same institution. Its all looking a bit hopeless for me at the moment though and im not sure where to turn. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Change course as international student

Post by meself2 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:51 pm

Staying at the same uni might simplify things a bit, but you're given permission to study on a certain course, so yea, can't keep the same permission.

In terms of immigration side of things, ISD states that:
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/coming- ... -students/
If you come to Ireland to study a degree, you will be granted an immigration permission for a specific programme offered at an approved higher education provider. Only in very exceptional circumstances will you be allowed to change programme during the first year of your studies.

You must provide an academic report from the provider, including detailed exam results. You will also have to provide an enrolment letter for the new degree programme you wish to undertake that outlines why the new provider believes you are suitable to enrol in this course, taking into consideration you have not completed your original programme.

Students may not transfer from a degree to a language programme. Students may not change from a Masters programme to a degree course.
So this is possible, but mightn't be seamless. Also not sure if you're in first year but see in bold above - ISD my consider switching to another course straight away as some kind of an idea to circumvent immigration somehow (applied for one course and started to study at another).

Start with your international advisor at uni, I'd say - see what they can offer and if they encountered the situation. Also verify with your new course if you can transfer to them without losing a year; in my uni it wasn't always the case.
You also need to verify if your new course is on ILEP, of course.

After you' got your exam results, assuming it's all good after researching, your best course of action will, most likely, be sending your exam results, confirmation of acceptance to a new course and a cover letter explaining the situation to ISD by post - from https://www.irishimmigration.ie/contact ... -delivery/ Unit 1 is dealing with student permissions. I've sent them emails - no response, but after sending a snail mail letter I got what I needed in about 10 days, if you're in Dublin. If you're outside Dublin city and county, you can try to visit your local Garda station to explain the situation and ask what do you need to do, but I suppose their answer will be to do what I said above.

When you get letter from DoJ allowing you to switch, apply (online or in Garda station) for a new Stamp 2 and you're all set.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

Re exam results: once again, speak to your course head/international office about the timing of exam results being released; they may release them in August/September which leaves you with no time to actually do the change. If that's the case, you'd have to put a very good cover letter (maybe even lecturer statements that you're a good student? don't know) and emphasize on your situation about switching the course; when ready, send that letter to ISD in April/May or even now; gives you more time to get responses from ISD and they might just give you a new Stamp 2 for the new course till late Sept, which you can renew assuming you passed your last year.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:06 am

Different courses have different entry score requirements and usually have a different number of international students, and colleges will have to report to the immigration authority in terms of the number of international students in each course.

Therefore, it is much more complex than a simple ‘switch’ of the course for the college, especially after the semester has started. Your attendance and module scores will all have to be transferred and recorded correctly for immigration purposes.

You need to talk to your college’s international student office. They are best suited on issues involving international students.

I switched course myself when I was in college, and I switched to a different college, but at least I finished the first year and then switched during the summer break. It was still a hell lot of stuff that needs to be done. I can only imagine that your college may not be willing to do these in the middle of the academic year.

Your timing is a bit bad as well. I don’t know from which month your academic year starts, but it’s usually from September to April/May. Colleges aren’t going to be happy if you want to switch courses when you are nearly finished for the year.