ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing my place of birth.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

user0123456789
Newly Registered
Ireland

Changing my place of birth.

Post by user0123456789 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 am

I just wanted some information about the laws and legality of changing my country and city of birth.

My parents (who are both British citizens) were in Dublin Ireland when i was born. They were only there for a short trip and did not plan for me to born there. However i ended up being born much earlier than the predicted date so i ended up being born whilst i was there. My parents did not register my birth until about a week later when they came back to the UK. However the main problem is that when they registered me they decided to lie and register me as being born in London UK instead of being born in Dublin Ireland.

My parents had always planned for me to be born at home in London UK and they thought it would be easier and simpler if they just registered me as being born in London UK as that is what they had always planned. I am really annoyed they did this as i dont' like all my documents not having my real place of birth.

Now the problem is that because of this there is no records at all of me being born in Dublin Ireland. All of my official documents including my passport and birth certificate state that i was born in London UK. Additionally because the UK and Ireland share an open border there is no evidence of my parents travelling to and from Ireland either. I was also born in a house rather than a hospital (my parents had a close Irish friend who was a midwife who helped deliver me) so there won't be any Irish hospital records either.

I remember when i was younger my parents first told me and ever since (especially as i have gotten older) i have wanted to correct it to show the right place. It just doesn't feel right to have the incorrect country and city of birth on all my official documents.

So i am really stuck here. I want to change my place of birth to the correct place but i have no documents to prove it that would allow me to change it.

Additionally i realise that because i was born in Ireland (before birthright citizenship ended) i am also entitled to claim Irish citizenship. So i would really like to do this as well.

So i am looking to do two things.

1. Update and change all my British documents and records to show my place of birth as Dublin Ireland (instead of London UK).

2. Apply for Irish citizenship (and an Irish passport).

Do you know what the best way to do this would be? Is it even possible? It would just be great to finally have my real legitimate country and city of birth on all my documents. I just don't know who to contact or how to start the process.

Additionally could my parents get in to trouble? Could they be prosecuted for lying about my country and city of birth? If i change my place of birth then i really don't want my parents getting in any trouble with the law. So this is one thing that i am also worried may happen.

If you know any information regarding this and the laws and legality around it that would be fantastic. Many thanks in advance for any help.

vinny

Re: Changing my place of birth.

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:08 am

Without any strong corroborative evidence, it's probably impossible to prove!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:43 am

However, if proven, then the legal consequences to your parents may be a fine?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

user0123456789
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by user0123456789 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks for the reply. So indeed it sounds almost impossible without any evidence.

The only evidence i was thinking of is street CCTV images of my parents with me in Dublin Ireland. However firstly i don't think they keep CCTV footage for decades and secondly back when i was born CCTV cameras weren't really used that much (if at all) so that's definitely not an option.

The other thing is my parents do have photos of me when i was born but they all seem to be taken indoors in a house so there is nothing in them to prove to the authorities that they were indeed taken in Dublin Ireland so that's not an option either.

So it really looks like i don't have any evidence that's enough to change it. The only evidence would be verbal evidence from my parents and the midwife and their friends who were in Dublin Ireland at the time i was born (and that's if i could get in contact with them and they were willing to get involved). But i don't know if that is counted as sufficient evidence.

So this seems like it will be a very difficult thing to do but i think i will at least give it a go.

Paddy_Leprechaun
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Paddy_Leprechaun » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm

user0123456789 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:15 am
Thanks for the reply. So indeed it sounds almost impossible without any evidence.

The only evidence i was thinking of is street CCTV images of my parents with me in Dublin Ireland. However firstly i don't think they keep CCTV footage for decades and secondly back when i was born CCTV cameras weren't really used that much (if at all) so that's definitely not an option.

The other thing is my parents do have photos of me when i was born but they all seem to be taken indoors in a house so there is nothing in them to prove to the authorities that they were indeed taken in Dublin Ireland so that's not an option either.

So it really looks like i don't have any evidence that's enough to change it. The only evidence would be verbal evidence from my parents and the midwife and their friends who were in Dublin Ireland at the time i was born (and that's if i could get in contact with them and they were willing to get involved). But i don't know if that is counted as sufficient evidence.

So this seems like it will be a very difficult thing to do but i think i will at least give it a go.
With the current situation as the deadline for Brexit is approaching fast, it will very hard to prove without any hard evidence as your case will sound like typical Brexit case. Just on the funny side, your post reminded me of this video. It shows different ways for Brits to get a paddy passport ;)
social media weblink removed by moderator