ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for Husband & Children via Association?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MayaJ
Newly Registered

Citizenship for Husband & Children via Association?

Post by MayaJ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Hi,

I've been reading through the forums and can't find answers to my questions so apologies if they've already been asked and answered.

My grand-dad was born on the island of Ireland.
My mum was born in the UK and registered as a British citizen. She's also an Irish citizen with an Irish passport.
I was born in the UK and in November I sent my FBR application and will apply for my Irish passport in due course.

Q1. My husband and I are considering moving to Ireland and I'm wondering if he'll be eligible for Irish citizenship, due to our marriage. Obviously, he'll need to secure a way to stay and work after Brexit? (He's a British citizen).

Q2. Our children were all born in the UK and are now in their early & mid 20s. Obviously, if I'd known we were eligible to be Irish citizens I'd have applied for my FBR before they were born, to secure that, but it was before the age of the internet so it didn't happen. Are they able to apply via descent/association in any way? If the answer is no then would that still apply after my husband and I move to Ireland? Two of them would also like to move to Ireland, 1 is a teacher and 1 finishes university next year (the other is in the RAF but may also want to join us at a later date). We do have family still living in Ireland and love it there.

It seems such a shame to break the Irish citizen line just because we had no idea that any of us could register as citizens before each generation was born. My grandad would be so disappointed if he was still alive and would certainly have made sure that we'd all been registered, had he known :( - I really hope the Irish line doesn't have to end with me!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship for Husband & Children via Association?

Post by littlerr » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:51 pm

1. Your husband needs to live in the Republic of Ireland for 5 years if he lives on his own, or live on the island of Ireland for 3 years if you live together.

2. They need to live in Ireland for 5 years (or 3 years if there’s a ground of Irish association).

As a British citizen, you should be able to live and work in Ireland post Brexit without any issue, regardless of any deal between the UK and the EU.

MayaJ
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship for Husband & Children via Association?

Post by MayaJ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

That puts my mind at ease that my husband will still be able to live and work in Ireland post Brexit and if our kids move over they'll be in the same position so all 3 of them can apply for citizenship once we've been there 3 years. Now I feel safe proceeding with our plans to make the move! :D