ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship - no death certificate for grandparent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jsd84
Newly Registered

Citizenship - no death certificate for grandparent

Post by jsd84 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of collating necessary documents to apply for Irish citizenship through my grandfather, who was born in Northern Ireland. I have obtained all required documents - apart from my grandfather's death certificate.

I understand that I am required to provide the death certificate as part of the application process.

Passenger records show that my grandfather boarded a ship to Australia in 1949. The trail runs stone cold after that, and I cannot locate a death certificate for him. He would be 113 if still alive. I am therefore working on the assumption that he is dead, and that a death certificate is unobtainable.

Very little is known about him amongst the family. New leads are sparse.

Has anyone had any experience of applying for citizenship via this route in the absence of an Irish grandparent's death certificate?

Any advice/experiences would be most welcome.

TomBussmann
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship - no death certificate for grandparent

Post by TomBussmann » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi

I'm in exactly the same situation - did you get any further with this?

Thanks
Tom

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:43 am

TomBussmann wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:31 pm
Hi

I'm in exactly the same situation - did you get any further with this?

Thanks
Tom
You may want to post directly to the Foreign Birth Registration thread found here, there are several others in this situation - ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277641.html

That said, I was also missing a record and on the guidance of my lawyer we drafted an affidavit which was notarized along with all the evidence of us attempting to locate the record (copies of "no record found" letters from the records clerk and church secretary). I am almost 8 months into the waiting game so we'll see how the DFA responds.

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Not sure if you've already tried this but could you take a free trial with Ancestry and see what you can find on there?

elise1313
Newly Registered

Post by elise1313 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 am

@danamarie, just seen your post - may I ask how you are getting on?

I'm in a similar position with no original death certificate for my grandfather.

whiskeypause
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by whiskeypause » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:33 am

Likewise in the same situation, can't trace my grandfather's death certificate so would be interested in the response / solution.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:58 am

whiskeypause wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:33 am
Likewise in the same situation, can't trace my grandfather's death certificate so would be interested in the response / solution.
Do you know any of the details of his death - place, approximate date? I was successfully added to the FBR in November with the affidavit drafted by my attorney explaining the missing record and providing proof of an exhaustive search for it.