Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Court rules "continuous residence" means you CANNOT LEAVE IRELAND AT ALL for year before application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Court rules "continuous residence" means you CANNOT LEAVE IRELAND AT ALL for year before application

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Bealtaine wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Yes very interesting indeed.

Out of curiosity, has anyone applied in June and gotten a reference number from them yet?
Has anyone applied in Sept?
Can we kindly keep this topic specific to the judgement and not to application process questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Re: Court rules "continuous residence" means you CANNOT LEAVE IRELAND AT ALL for year before application

Post by markem » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:40 am

markem wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:22 pm
Several TDs are now asking questions about the timing. It will be interesting to see the responses.
The response is back, copied below... same answer for all questions. The key piece is that the Minister has confirmed they are waiting for the outcome of the appeal before introducing the new legislation. The appeal is set for 8th October in the Court of Appeal.
I am aware that the recent judgment of the High Court relating to continuous residency under Section 15(1)(c) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956 (as amended) has given cause for concern. The matter remains before the courts with the lodgement of an appeal before the Court of Appeal and is therefore sub-judice.

I can, however, assure the Deputy that my Department is doing everything possible to put in place a solution on an urgent basis. I have taken expert legal advice and I intend to introduce legislation to address the issue. At the end of July, I obtained Spam approval for a proposed Bill and intensive work is taking place in my Department where officials are working with the Office of Parliamentary Counsel in the Attorney General's Office to finalise the draft Bill.

I am advised that the appeal is likely to be heard early next month. The outcome of the appeal will, of course, have a bearing on whether or not legislation is required.Should it be necessary, I intend to introduce the Bill in the Oireachtas as soon as possible this term. I know that colleagues of all parties are concerned with the difficulty that has arisen and I am hopeful that the Oireachtas will give the Bill early and positive consideration.

As soon as the legal issues are resolved, my officials will make all necessary arrangements for the next Citizenship Ceremony. Invitations will issue four weeks in advance of the ceremony to ensure everyone has adequate notice.

In the interim, the Immigration Service of my Department is advising those who are planning to apply for citizenship to continue to collect all of the necessary proofs that support their application and to submit a comprehensive application form. Once a solution is in place, if any additional information is required, applicants will be contacted as part of the processing of their application.

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:58 am

markem wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:22 pm
Several TDs are now asking questions about the timing. It will be interesting to see the responses.

The response is back, copied below... same answer for all questions. The key piece is that the Minister has confirmed they are waiting for the outcome of the appeal before introducing the new legislation. The appeal is set for 8th October in the Court of Appeal.
I already predict that on 20 Sept that they are waiting for appeal.

post1828221.html#p1828221

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:53 pm

aneelrahim wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:58 am
I already predict that on 20 Sept that they are waiting for appeal.
Congratulations :lol:

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:43 am

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Hungary

Post by masterboy123 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:22 pm

So when is the next ceremony? Any idea? :|

White_Pearl
Ireland

Post by White_Pearl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:55 pm

@masterboy123 as soon as the Bill of minister Flanagan becomes law. His officials will “make all necessary arrangements for the next citizenship ceremony”.

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 pm

masterboy123 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:22 pm
So when is the next ceremony? Any idea? :|
It depends on 8 Oct when they hear the appeal.

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:40 am

So what do we think?
Will the next ceremony be at the end of Oct or Nov?
As per INIS they need 4 weeks to send out the approval notifications. So it may not be until the end of Nov?

Issagenius
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Issagenius » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 am

I kinda feel like there will be no ceremony this year.

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 am

I call last week and they said we are hoping for end of year (December) but nothing confirmed.
They will be no ceremony in October if we follow 4 weeks rule.
Now think about mid Nov or early December if everything super fast else it goes in January 2020.

Omad24
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Omad24 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:18 pm

They never had a ceremony in January but I wouldn’t be surprised

You also have to consider the thousands of gnibs they are holding from people, hopefully their will be a ceremony in November because they all go on holiday in December

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:55 pm

There is no item relating to citizenship in Dail Schedule for next week

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/dail-sched ... 2019-10-01

I think they will put on schedule on 2nd week of October after 8 Oct appeal if needed

saleamcrown
Ireland

Post by saleamcrown » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 pm

aneelrahim wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:55 pm

I think they will put on schedule on 2nd week of October after 8 Oct appeal if needed
No there is item in 3rd October

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:33 pm

saleamcrown wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 pm
Which item? I can't see one. The Minister has already said they're waiting for the Court of Appeal to hear the Jones case at 10.30am on 8th Oct so I'd be surprised if it comes up in the Dail before then.

Chap1122
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by Chap1122 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 am

Relax guys
The way Irish system works ,i think next ceremony is in November but not 2019 in 2020.
Never expect anything before next Summer.
Holiday period has already kicked in here!

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:23 am

saleamcrown wrote:
aneelrahim wrote:

It is for parliamentary questions not for the citizenship bill

robber
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by robber » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:27 am

Chap1122 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 am
Relax guys
The way Irish system works ,i think next ceremony is in November but not 2019 in 2020.
What a stupid comment

saleamcrown
Ireland

Post by saleamcrown » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 am

aneelrahim wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:23 am
saleamcrown wrote:
aneelrahim wrote:

It is for parliamentary questions not for the citizenship bill
You are right sorry i am wrong

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 am

robber wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:27 am
Chap1122 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 am
Relax guys
What a stupid comment
We have to try not to be discourteous to each other. Everyone is perfectly entitled to express their views, even though you may not like it.
After thinking long and hard, I have come to the conclusion that brexit is a cancer. The only good brexit is a dead brexit.