ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Covid unemployment payments can affect citizenship?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

karldub
Newly Registered
Ireland

Covid unemployment payments can affect citizenship?

Post by karldub » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello

Can you please share opinions if applying for covid unemployment payment can cause issues in future citizenship application? I am temp laid off as the work place is closed and on stamp 4.

thank you

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Covid unemployment payments can affect citizenship?

Post by littlerr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:51 pm

There are two threads already that answered your question. Please take some time to review the existing threads.

ireland/fresh-faq-from-inis-in-covid19- ... 99638.html

ireland/immigration-status-extended-for ... l#p1891067

This is mentioned in the Q&A document of ISD (aka INIS).
Q 39. If I’m temporarily unemployment and or in receipt of Covid 19 PandemicUnemployment Payment, will this impact my Citizenship application?
A.A pragmatic approach will be applied in this emergency

karldub
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by karldub » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks
Majority of answers are in black and white but when ask about citizenship INIS have made this unclear as they always have.

karldub
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by karldub » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:54 pm

karldub wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 am
Thanks
Majority of answers are in black and white but when ask about citizenship INIS have made this unclear as they always have.

Anyone here with definite suggestions/advise "NOT TO APPLY" for covid unemployment as it can affect future citizenship application?

ailA2019
Ireland

Post by ailA2019 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:41 am

karldub wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:54 pm
karldub wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:20 am
Thanks

Anyone here with definite suggestions/advise "NOT TO APPLY" for covid unemployment as it can affect future citizenship application?

they are clear

Q 39. If I’m temporarily unemployment and or in receipt of Covid 19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment,
will this impact my Citizenship application?
A. A pragmatic approach will be applied in this emergency

so , My advice not use covid unemploymen because Only few weeks and you will back to work then may give them impression if you lost your job in future, you will use state support . however I Could be wrong

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:05 am

Hi karldub,

Covid Payment seems to be a separate scheme and not linked with PRSI (Jobseekers Benefits / Allowance (means tested))

If you are concered, you may claim Jobseekers Benefits. Please note that Jobseekers Benefits is your entitlement. If you have sufficient PRSI contributions, I think it shouldn't impact Citizenship application as it not a 'benefit' benefit if you see what I mean. Bear in mind 'I' in PRSI stands for insurance that you are paying and hence you are entitled to get payments should you loose your job. Otherwise what is the point of government charging you PRSI?

In my opinion its still early days whether the government will judge / consider Covid Payment as a Jobseekers Allowance which is means tested. We will have to wait and watch when the dust settles.

If I were you, I would go for Covit Payment if Jobseekers Benefits is insufficient to feed my family.

I hope it helps.

ApplyingforCitizen
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ApplyingforCitizen » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:59 pm

S 9.5 of the citizenship application form 8 asks: ‘Have you received a Social Assistance payment or other State support in the past 3 years?’

So clearly in the usual course any State support including unemployment assistance, should be included.

However, the gov.ie website states (at www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-p ... nt-payment):

‘T[i]he Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection wishes to confirm that there are no plans in place to share any data we receive as part of an immigrant’s application for a Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment with GNIB or the Department of Justice and Equality[/i].’

The MRCI (Migrants Rights Centre Ireland) website states (at www.mrci.ie/2020/03/30/covid19-social-w ... or-workers):

The Irish Government has confirmed to MRCI that all people – documented or undocumented – can apply for hardship payments and access information from social welfare services free from fear during COVID19. You will need to give the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) personal information to apply for hardship payments. These services will not share your information with the Department of Justice and Equality during COVID19. It is safe to apply[
/i].’

On the basis that the payment is clearly viewed from a governmental perspective as an emergency payment designed to address hardship during the covid-19 crisis, and having no impact on immigration-related matters, is it really something that requires to be disclosed in a citizenship application?

Really interested in peoples’ views here

karldub
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by karldub » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:18 pm

All of you guys are amazing and provide the additional info. Highly appreciated.
Great question on disclosure if covid i snot regular job seeker benefit and DEASP will not share with DJE?INIS/GNIB, then it shouldn't be disclosed in my view.

White_Pearl
Ireland

Post by White_Pearl » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:10 pm

The govt might not share anything with inis, but when inis will request info from DEASP, then might they are obliged to share??

ApplyingforCitizen
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ApplyingforCitizen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Good news here from Twitter