ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

De Facto current processing times

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ewisto
Newly Registered
Ireland

De Facto current processing times

Post by ewisto » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:28 am

Hi all - my partner and I applied for De Facto permission in April of this year. We received confirmation that it was being processed about a week later, but have had no further updates since (we have sent a few enquiries, but have just been told it can take up to six months to process). We have not been asked for any further information, and I feel our application is pretty strong - there is clear evidence of cohabitation and a legitimate relationship.

I have heard some stories about people waiting for up to a year for a decision, but according to the website and the comms we have received, a decision should be reached within 6 months.

Does anyone have recent experience of an application, or does anyone know why they take so long? I imagine it is partly as a deterrent to this being viewed as any easy option to secure residency.

Thank you.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: De Facto current processing times

Post by littlerr » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:25 pm

I applied for my partner's de facto application in 2018. A strong and straightforward application. We've been living together for many years and have provided a huge amount of documentary proof of cohabitation.

I can't remember how long it took but it definitely took more than 6 months. I think it took 9 months but I honestly can't remember.

Yes there's no response in between. They would just issue you a letter when the application is approved.

These were all before COVID. With COVID restrictions still in place and staff being diverted to other key departments, I'd say it would take even longer.

ewisto
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ewisto » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:17 pm

Thank you for the info - I'm hoping things have improved since then, all of the documentation says it can take up to 6 months, and that's what they've mentioned in the correspondence. When we applied, they were only accepting application from de facto partners of Irish nationals due to Covid, which hopefully means the volumes were lower, but it's impossible to tell.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Ok you clearly haven't dealt with INIS previously or checked out any posts here :) You should always multiply their expected timeframe by at least 1.5 - 2 for anything they say. When they say 6 months, your expectation should be 9-12 months at the very least in the best possible scenario.

Things are getting worse over the last 3 years, initially due to Brexit, then further complicated by Covid (and finally by the government decision to move immigration staff to other lines of duty).

I just dug out my partner's application details here. The application was submitted in July 2017 and was approved in March 2018 - so 8 months back then. I'd be super super surprised if they could stick to their timeframe with the current staff shortage.

Anyway, there's nothing anyone can do other than pure speculation. All I'm saying is that when you set your expectation proper, you wouldn't be disappointed. If you don't hear anything back in the next 9 months, contact them and ask for an update.

ewisto
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ewisto » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Fair point, although that hasn't been our personal experience to date. On a few occasions when INIS didn't stick to their own timeframe in the past, we simply contacted our local government TD and things were always resolved within a few days

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 pm
Ok you clearly haven't dealt with INIS previously or checked out any posts here :) You should always multiply their expected timeframe by at least 1.5 - 2 for anything they say. When they say 6 months, your expectation should be 9-12 months at the very least in the best possible scenario.

Things are getting worse over the last 3 years, initially due to Brexit, then further complicated by Covid (and finally by the government decision to move immigration staff to other lines of duty).

I just dug out my partner's application details here. The application was submitted in July 2017 and was approved in March 2018 - so 8 months back then. I'd be super super surprised if they could stick to their timeframe with the current staff shortage.

Anyway, there's nothing anyone can do other than pure speculation. All I'm saying is that when you set your expectation proper, you wouldn't be disappointed. If you don't hear anything back in the next 9 months, contact them and ask for an update.
What other line of duty have they been moved to. The immigration system is a real mess, there are residence applications under EU law taking over 2 years for processing.

One wonders what is going on in that department.

Anyway I have lodge a court application, hopefully one will find out what is really going on.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors