ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difficulty applying for Irish citizenship by descent in UK

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Black Adam
Newly Registered

Difficulty applying for Irish citizenship by descent in UK

Post by Black Adam » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:32 am

My father received his Irish citizenship four years ago and my other siblings who applied in the U.S. received theirs last december. I applied to the foreign births register at the UK embassy providing all the neccessary documentation that my sisters had applied with. I have already been charged an application fee of £88 but the foreign birth register has delayed my application for over five months now because he says that I do not have a copy of my grandfather's passport. My grandfather is an old man of 90yrs living in an old folks home in Ireland and I'm not sure he has his passport.

My sisters, applied with the same documents in the U.S.and my brother applied for his in a different country as well and he received his certificate faster than me! . This guy refuses to process my application without it and I'm not sure why....can anyone give me suggestions on what to do, I'm here in the UK until December and I'd really like to finalize this matter. :(

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:10 pm

This is going to sound obvious but can you not get a copy of your dad's naturalisation certificate as Irish and submit it to the embassy?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:30 am

Rogerio wrote:This is going to sound obvious but can you not get a copy of your dad's naturalisation certificate as Irish and submit it to the embassy?

Surely you mean birth certificate? Not every "Irish grandparent" will have had a passport in the first place, still less one that's available, but the Irish Embassy are entitled to expect to see a birth certificate. These should be fairly easily available from the Irish authorities.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:10 pm

I meant naturalisation, as he indicated his father got his citizenhip 4 years ago... the point is - any proof of his father's citizenship. Naturalisation, birth certificate, etc.

easypeasy
Newly Registered

Post by easypeasy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:39 am

"Surely you mean birth certificate? Not every "Irish grandparent" will have had a passport in the first place, still less one that's available, but the Irish Embassy are entitled to expect to see a birth certificate. .. quote]

I have a similar tale.

Mrs. Irishlady, applied for Irish citizenship as her father was born in the N.Ireland, she got the citizenship and passport after producing the three certificates requested. 1) Father's birth certificate 2) his marriage certificate and 3) her (Irishlady's) birth certificate.

Her two daughters applied for Irish citizenship. I was given after producing two more certificates : 1) Irishlady's birth certificate and 2) her marriage certificate and of course, the two daughters' birth certificates, passports etc.

Irishlady was at one time refused her right of abode in UK but the Immigration Tribunal shot down the ECO's nonsense about the ages and names etc. So the UK Courts therefore, accept the Irish origins.

After the daughters got their Irish passports, the sons applied..... and the fun started....

Mr. Busybody of the Dy. High Com. asserted that he did not like the Immigration Tribunal's decision, he was reminded it was the law of the land. Still said he did not like it !! And informed the Irish about his opinions.

Then the Irish began asking for a death certificate of the Ireland born grandfather. The same answer given to the UK Tribunal has been given to them : No idea where he died.

After all, the "raj" and the soldiers were not expected to be stationed in one place. And could be born, married and die in three different places.

Like in the Church chorus "We shall not be moved" the Irish Foreign office, and the Irish Embassy chant the same refrain when told about the impossibility of producing the death certificate. For six years now they have been insisting on the certificate which cannot be produced.

I have been visiting web sites etc. and have seen maybe hundreds of pages. Nowhere, has it been mentioned that DEATH CERTIFICATES will be insisted upon.

Funnily, the Irish Foreign Ofice and the Embassy refuse to close the case with a rejection of the application. Several Irish MP's have taken up the matter too and all have been told that the "case was under process".. EVEN AFTER SIX YEARS ?

I shall be very happy to hear a different tale. Anyone been treated more favourably in the past six years ? Anyone NOT ASKED FOR THE DEATH CERTIFICATE ?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:14 pm

easypeasy wrote: Then the Irish began asking for a death certificate of the Ireland born grandfather. The same answer given to the UK Tribunal has been given to them : No idea where he died.

After all, the "raj" and the soldiers were not expected to be stationed in one place. And could be born, married and die in three different places.

Like in the Church chorus "We shall not be moved" the Irish Foreign office, and the Irish Embassy chant the same refrain when told about the impossibility of producing the death certificate. For six years now they have been insisting on the certificate which cannot be produced.
If he was serving in the British military then there ought to be a service record that should suffice.

And if that doesn't work, it should be time to consult a good Irish lawyer (choose one who understands nationality issues) to examine exactly what the law demands for Foreign Birth Registration.

One of the options could be legal action to seek a writ of Mandamus compelling the application to be granted.

easypeasy
Newly Registered

LEGAL ACTION : THANK YOU

Post by easypeasy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:35 pm

In fact, a letter has gone out today asking them to close the case with a refusal so that the matter may go to the High Court in Ireland.

Your idea was good. Thanks from the person using it.