ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Direct and Indirect Action

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zen63

Direct and Indirect Action

Post by zen63 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:56 am

I’m not quite sure if this is a rant brought on before I visit the GNIB later today. My wife was denied EU1 residence a year ago, but granted permission to remain for a year. Today we must find out if her card can be renewed via the GNIB or if the whole EU1 nightmare will start again. This has given me a sleepless night.

For background information, I am a British Citizen, my wife is Russian. I have lived in Ireland since the age of thirteen, and own a business in Cork which employs 8 people. We followed all of the procedures correctly and at no stage have bypassed any of the laws.

I used to love this country, but for the past year have been depressed and slowly driven mad by the DeptJus.

So at 5am after reading this forum for the 100th time I want to ask if any of the following have been done:

1. Organised and templated complaints to the European Commission with organised follow-up phone calls, faxes, e-mails, and letters.

2. Organised and templated letters to all members of the Government with follow-up phone calls, faxes, e-mails, letters. Database of contacts.

3. Systematic complaints to the Irish Ombudsman regarding the lack of a useable phone system for the DeptJus.

4. Mass requests under the FOI act for personal information for all affected parties to be released by the Dept/Jus.

5. Organised and templated letters of complaint to the DeptJus with follow-up letters, faxes, e-mails, calls(!)

6. Individual but templated mass petitions to the European Parliament with follow-up calls, faxes, e-mails, letters

7. Direct contact and complaints to every European Member of Parliament we can contact, these must be followed up. Database of contacts.

8. Organised letter writing backed by phone, fax and e-mail to Vice President in charge of Justice, Freedom and Security, Franco Frattini

9. Organised group use of the SOLVIT system to force them to act more strongly on the issue

10. Establishing a database of affected parties and the subsequent systemisation of complaint and letter writing activities.

11. Database of media outlets established and subsequently targeted in a mass press release campaign

12. Organised and systematic campaign of letters and requests for help to be sent to consular departments of the embassies of effected parties.

The Dept/Jus is hiding behind a wall of silence, and their civil servants have no reason to want to increase their workload by actually helping individuals. If they are pushed and forced through sheer volume of activity you can bet that they will get off their collective lazy rear ends and do something – if only to reduce their work load.

As far as I can see the staff in the EU1 part of the DeptJus actually does very little (I’m open to correction). So let’s make them work for their pay cheque. More than this though – it is the governments (Irish/EU) responsibility to work FOR the people – a fact sadly forgotten in this modern age.

With a little work – we can systemise and template each of the steps above, and then with 20 people following these templates and sending one letter/follow-up a day, we can sent over 7000 pieces of correspondence a year. Could we get 50 people? That’s over 18,000 complaints a year. I’m talking about copy and past jobs with the odd randomisation thrown in, tracked by an online database of activity.

I am willing to bet that a few politicians will get quite annoyed at being forced to work for a living, and will wonder why such a simple matter cannot be handled professionally as is the case in other EU countries.

What’s your opinion on these ideas? What’s stopping us?

For this to be done, we would need to agree that its an all or nothing situation – as frequently individuals seem to be bought off with a five year card when they complain enough, and subsequently disappear from this struggle.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 am

Very best of lcuk, hope it all gets sorted today.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Ark
Newly Registered

Post by Ark » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 pm

8. Organised letter writing backed by phone, fax and e-mail to Vice President in charge of Justice, Freedom and Security, Franco Frattini

9. Organised group use of the SOLVIT system to force them to act more strongly on the issue
On point 8 we're working on a template in another thread.

I tried with SOLVIT and in all honesty got a bit confused filling their online template - I'll give it another shot later on tonight.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:20 pm

you can try Solvit, but honestly they have not been much help so far except to say they are wringing their hands and they cannot do much else.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 pm

Concerted action is a great idea, but organizing it would basically be a full time job for someone. Well, since a whole bunch of spouses can't work, maybe someone has time for it.

Might be an uphill climb considering it's proven difficult to even get people together to meet! There's lots of anger and rage on this board, but basically any legal action taken will require a year or more to get results. I gave up a long time ago.

(I've also kind of figured that those people with the time, energy, money and wherewithal have already sued the DoJ themselves.)

zen63

Post by zen63 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I visited the local cork GNIB today and they will give my wife a new one year card directly as we got the initial one year letter from the Dept/Jus

No further EU1 form is required - thank god for this small mercy

JAJ
Australia

Re: Direct and Indirect Action

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:34 pm

zen63 wrote:I
For background information, I am a British Citizen, my wife is Russian. I have lived in Ireland since the age of thirteen,
Any particular reason why you haven't become an Irish citizen, out of interest?

zen63

Post by zen63 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:26 am

Im British, thats where i was born and thats where my family come from. Why would i want to become Irish?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:36 pm

zen63 wrote:Im British, thats where i was born and thats where my family come from. Why would i want to become Irish?
When people move permanently to a particular country and make their home there, it's fairly normal for them to become citizens of that country. Especially if they do not lose their original citizenship.

If you had done, you would be able to sponsor under domestic law and not be subject to the EU1 issues. Your wife would also have a shorter waiting period for naturalisation herself.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:59 pm

zen63 wrote:The Dept/Jus is hiding behind a wall of silence, and their civil servants have no reason to want to increase their workload by actually helping individuals. If they are pushed and forced through sheer volume of activity you can bet that they will get off their collective lazy rear ends and do something – if only to reduce their work load.
I think you'll find that "sheer volume of activity" will actually make them work slower, if that is at all possible. Civil servants do not respond well to pressure. The problem is that most of them tend to be poorly educated and very difficult to fire due to the "jobs for life" culture that seems to have embedded itself in the civil service all over the world.

They have no motivation to do their jobs properly because they have no fear of being fired.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Dawie wrote:
zen63 wrote:The Dept/Jus is hiding behind a wall of silence, and their civil servants have no reason to want to increase their workload by actually helping individuals. If they are pushed and forced through sheer volume of activity you can bet that they will get off their collective lazy rear ends and do something – if only to reduce their work load.
I think you'll find that "sheer volume of activity" will actually make them work slower, if that is at all possible. Civil servants do not respond well to pressure. The problem is that most of them tend to be poorly educated and very difficult to fire due to the "jobs for life" culture that seems to have embedded itself in the civil service all over the world.

They have no motivation to do their jobs properly because they have no fear of being fired.
is not the people in gnib. is more like the guy in charge of DOJ. if the person in charge of DOJ wanted to change their response time for the immigrants, it is not hard! look at the last minister fo injustice, he managed to talk to around with other issues(e.g. like put more restrictions on) instead of solving the problem. i must say to the people in this forum. in reality, you guys better complaint to the guy in charge instead of complaint to the one taking the order. to be honest, most of the people here properly knows that, the guys working in gnib just taking the order from the top.