ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU member married to south american

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ulilopes
Newly Registered

EU member married to south american

Post by ulilopes » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:13 pm

Hello,

I am brazilian passport holder and my wife holds an Italian passport. We are planning to go to Dublin look for a job and spend some time enjoying Irish pubs and beers...We´ve met in London where we lived for nearly 2 years then we got married and moved to Barcelona where we´ve been living for the last 17 months on a spouse visa, as she is Italian.
What do we need to get an spouse visa in Ireland and what is the best (or easiest) way for me to get an EU passport so I can forget about visas in the future?

Thank you very much for your attention and help,

Ulisses

cantaro

Re: EU member married to south american

Post by cantaro » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 am

ulilopes wrote:what is the best (or easiest) way for me to get an EU passport so I can forget about visas in the future?
Stay in Spain some more. As a Latin American citizen you can apply for Spanish citizenship after completing two years of legal residence in the country. Once you have a Spanish passport you can move to Ireland without having to worry about any formalities.

As for going to Ireland before becoming a EU citizen: read e.g. the threads I opened as my wife is in the same situation as you. Short summary: to avoid problems, apply for an entry visa for the non-EU spouse of an EU citizen at the Irish embassy in Spain. Moving to Ireland without one might cause you problems. After arriving, get a EU1 form (you can download it), send it to the Department of Justice with all required original documents, and be prepared to wait for 6 to 9 months for them to issue you with a residence card.