ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR - Working in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lauraaa31
Newly Registered
Canada

FBR - Working in Ireland

Post by lauraaa31 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi all!

I have applied for my Foreign Birth Registry and I am hoping to move to Ireland later this year for a gap year. I am wondering - do I have the right to work in Ireland once I have my FBR? What would I have to do to get that... do I NEED an Irish passport to work? I plan to get one... I'm just in a bit of a time crunch with summer travels in mind.

Thank you everyone!

Bluegill
United States of America

Re: FBR - Working in Ireland

Post by Bluegill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:26 pm

You’ll be a citizen won’t you? I think that’s all you need to know :)

lauraaa31
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by lauraaa31 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:46 pm

That’s what I thought! But I’ve read differently! I saw it on a blog and someone from a program for working holiday visas told me the same. Not the most reliable sources but they are getting me nervous!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 pm

An FBR certificate alone does not grant you permission to work. The certificate allows you to apply for an Irish passport, and you will need to use that passport to prove that you are an Irish citizen for the purpose of working without a work permit.

When you arrive in Ireland you will need to apply for a PPS Number which will be the only number to identify you for tax purposes.

In this process, you will need an Irish passport to prove that your nationality is Irish. FBR certificate is not a recognised document.

See details below.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Persona ... Apply.aspx

Of course you can use your other passport to get in Ireland - but the immigratuon officer will most likely give you a short term temporary visit stamp on that passport. The PPS Office will not allow you to register with them whilst on a temporary stamp. This means you would still have to apply for an Irish passport while you stay in Ireland without the ability to work.