ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

For those approved for citizenship, when do you handover your GNIB card?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

siseñor
Saudi Arabia

For those approved for citizenship, when do you handover your GNIB card?

Post by siseñor » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:51 am

Is there a way to travel after handing it over and before getting the passport? I'd be able to leave the country with my original passport, but would they let me back in with the citizenship certificate maybe?

meself2
Ireland

Re: For those approved for citizenship, when do you handover your GNIB card?

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am

siseñor wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:51 am
I'd be able to leave the country with my original passport, but would they let me back in with the citizenship certificate maybe?
on Irish border - maybe
but you need to get there first
and they won't let you onto the plane as airlines won't accept certificate as a travel document

I think there is an option for re entry visa if you can be persuasive enough and have a reason to leave, see this and linked threads - ireland/travel-under-emergency-circumst ... 28353.html
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

siseñor
Saudi Arabia

Post by siseñor » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:32 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am
siseñor wrote:
I'd be able to leave the country with my original passport, but would they let me back in with the citizenship certificate maybe?
on Irish border - maybe
and they won't let you onto the plane as airlines won't accept certificate as a travel document

I think there is an option for re entry visa if you can be persuasive enough and have a reason to leave, see this and linked threads - ireland/travel-under-emergency-circumst ... 28353.html
Oh that’s a good point re airlines letting me on! Thanks for the re-entry tip. Do you know at which stage I’d need to give up the GNIB card?

Thanks so much! 🙏

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:37 am

Im still not sure if they really ask for your IRP card back as it was discussed before and was told that Irish travel document (that is needed to be returned) means travel document issued by Ireland for people that has no valid passport and doesn't indicate IRP.

But this is just what I remember, if someone has official info it would be great.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:41 am

siseñor wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:32 am
meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am
siseñor wrote:
on Irish border - maybe

Oh that’s a good point re airlines letting me on! Thanks for the re-entry tip. Do you know at which stage I’d need to give up the GNIB card?

Thanks so much! 🙏
from what I've seen on forums, before COVID you were supposed to give it in when you were sending the 950 euro fee and received the invitation, so if you do, it's a few months without either (very rough estimate)
but now people say they're just being asked for a scanned copy (eg post2091027.html#p2091027), so you mightn't even be asked to send it back.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

siseñor
Saudi Arabia

Post by siseñor » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Interesting if they’re not asking for the IRP card anymore. That would be great!

Thanks so much all I appreciate the comments 🙏

StarKing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by StarKing » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:05 pm

Just to add, my letter only asked to send back travel document (if applicable), I asked my solicitor…

She said “ A Travel Document is issued to Refugees so this is not relevant for you, so you can ignore this. You should receive an invitation in the post shortly, hopefully within the next couple of weeks for the citizenship ceremony on either 5th or 6th December 2022 and you will need to attend the ceremony to receive your citizenship certificate.”

Hope that helps someone in the future.