ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Williamj1
Newly Registered

Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Williamj1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi Apologies if this posted is in the wrong place or been answered before.

If it has been answered before, then if anyone can direct to that answer that would be much appreciated.

My Nan was born in Ireland in 1942, left at age 17 to live and work in the UK, where she still lives now.

Through the naturalisation process she eventually was given a British Passport which states "British subject."

Her birth records from the church state the 5th of April 1942 which she has used since the age of 17 and was same birtb record used to obtain employment, pension her current passport etc...

I recently discovered record with the GRO in Ireland which has her DOB of 20th April 1942.
Obviously the criteria for FBR states long form birth certificate, but with these conflicting dates and my nan stating that the 20th April is wrong. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything which could be done to accepted? Or am I over thinking that this would be a problem?

All other details on both records match, it is just the DOB that do not match!

Thanks,

William

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Try emailing the FBR registry

Williamj1
Newly Registered

Post by Williamj1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 am

Hi Michelle,

Sorry only just seen your reply. I did that, they were'nt much help. So I just sent off both my nans church records and her birth certificate with my application and attached a letter with her contact info. That was in January this year.

So fingers crossed I hear something in a few months.

Thanks

William

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:47 am

There is another, longer discussion of FBR questions and status on this board here. It is rather long, but I think you will find some posts that suggest DFA can be forgiving of some discrepancies with dates, because record keeping wasn't always as precise years ago. After all, the discrepancy for your grandmother's birth date is only a bit over two weeks. It would be a different matter if the discrepancy was two years.

It would be important that other information you submit matches. For example, your grandmother's birth certificate should list her parents names. Those should be the same as the parent names on her her marriage certificate. If her birth certificate says her parents names were Michael Doherty and Mary Collins, but her marriage certificate lists her parents as Dennis Flanagan and Eileen Murphy -- well, then you have a problem.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:30 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:47 am
There is another, longer discussion of FBR questions and status on this board here. It is rather long, but I think you will find some posts that suggest DFA can be forgiving of some discrepancies with dates, because record keeping wasn't always as precise years ago. After all, the discrepancy for your grandmother's birth date is only a bit over two weeks. It would be a different matter if the discrepancy was two years.

It would be important that other information you submit matches. For example, your grandmother's birth certificate should list her parents names. Those should be the same as the parent names on her her marriage certificate. If her birth certificate says her parents names were Michael Doherty and Mary Collins, but her marriage certificate lists her parents as Dennis Flanagan and Eileen Murphy -- well, then you have a problem.

Tom,

Hope all is well, haven’t heard from you in sometime. I finally got the magical email of an approved FBR application, now just waiting for the certificate!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:21 am

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on finally getting your FBR! I am sorry that it took so long for you. I guess they just got really busy with Brexiteers and the like. I think I was just really lucky with my timing.

I've only looked at the FBR discussion a few times in the last few months. Frankly, I got tired of Sulla's (and a couple of others) condescending and indignant comments about DFA -- and his threats to bring legal action against them. Since I completed the process several months ago, the discussion was no longer relevant to me. And my timeline was no longer useful to others, because it was outdated. No one who is waiting wants to hear that if they applied earlier, the wait could have been halved.

Anyway, congratulations again. After a while, you won't think about the wait you endured. You're now an official Irishman -- forever.

At least I now know that I didnt' give you bad information when I told you that your documentation looked solid.

Tom

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:21 am
Hi Michael,

Congratulations on finally getting your FBR! I am sorry that it took so long for you. I guess they just got really busy with Brexiteers and the like. I think I was just really lucky with my timing.

I've only looked at the FBR discussion a few times in the last few months. Frankly, I got tired of Sulla's (and a couple of others) condescending and indignant comments about DFA -- and his threats to bring legal action against them. Since I completed the process several months ago, the discussion was no longer relevant to me. And my timeline was no longer useful to others, because it was outdated. No one who is waiting wants to hear that if they applied earlier, the wait could have been halved.

Anyway, congratulations again. After a while, you won't think about the wait you endured. You're now an official Irishman -- forever.

At least I now know that I didnt' give you bad information when I told you that your documentation looked solid.

Tom
Great to hear from you! Thank you. I have moved on to the passport stage, I have some additional information that I think you would like to hear, if you have a moment, please send me an email, I can not locate your email. I have lots to share with you.

Yes, your information was solid!!

Feel as we are Alumni!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 am

Please continue in the existing FBR topic to avoid a second long running one starting.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.