ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
ripforreallldo
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by ripforreallldo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:47 pm

schmood wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:34 pm
Hi all,

I finally got all my documents together just in time for the new lockdown. Sigh. I thought I'd may as well send them off so they are ready to process once 'Dublin returns to tier 3'. Unfortunately, I lost the tracking number for my package but I did send it recorded 1st class delivery, about a week ago. I haven't heard anything back which obviously makes sense because there's no one working there but I did start to panic a little

1. Can I expect to get a 'confirmation of receipt' email once they do reopen their office?
2. Should I be worried that the package is lost forever/if there is physically nobody there to receive it?
3. Would also be great to hear from anyone who submitted during the first lockdown or now

Thanks all

Hey schmood I sent my digital app at the end of March, and my paper docs immediately afterwards. They didn’t get to Ireland until May 26, during the first lockdown. The governments were limiting the amount of planes in and out of the countries and USPS told me they were essentially waiting to fill the plane with mail before it got sent off.. I never got an email saying it was received but when I contacted the web chat service a few weeks ago they said they had received it and my timeline of 12-18 months would begin from May 27 so right now I have supposedly 6-12 months left. They have such a big estimate window bc so think they were anticipating another lockdown. Even though they are closed, they are definitely still accepting apps. So, I wouldn’t expect to hear anything but try contacting the office when they open back up and see if they’ve received it. Good Luck!

bobrayner
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:44 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by bobrayner » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Hello! I'd like to post my own timeline of a moderately complex application, just in case anybody else is "in the dark" and worrying about the combination of Brexit and Covid-19 causing a logjam.

1940s: My maternal grandparents, an unmarried couple in Ireland, decide to have their daughter adopted in the UK - fairly common at the time but with minimal regulation

1952: Ireland passes a law regulating adoption

23 June 2016: The UK votes to leave the EU. This sparks an surge of FBR requests as there are zillions of people in the UK who have an Irish grandparent. There are spikes in requests for other registration/naturalisation processes in other EU countries.

05 November 2018: I apply for FBR, sending off a long chain of documentation (although my mother's paperwork is sparse) showing that I qualified. At the time, DFA said it would take "up to 6 months" but I'm pragmatic and my application isn't urgent.

November 2019: After a year, I started to worry. Phoned the FBR team. They said they were working through a backlog, and that my request was in the queue, which is all the assurance I could hope for. I tried not to chase them much - if they're obviously busy, and if my request isn't urgent, what's the point?

29 September 2020: It's been almost 2 years so I followed up with Webchat (there's no phone option now). The webchat system isn't great, but workload must be a factor; I can't complain as I eventually talked to somebody who said the decisionmaker in my case was on leave but would look at it next week.

20 October 2020: FBR team send a request for clarification around the adoption, asking for more evidence, which appears to be phrased in terms of the 1952 law.

21 October 2020: I do some amateur legal sleuthing and draft an epic passive-aggressive email telling the FBR team that they're wrong, they're asking for evidence of a process which didn't exist before 1952 &c.

22 October 2020: My mother finds extra documentation which is exactly what the FBR team wanted; my amateur legal sleuthing was totally wrong, and I'm glad I didn't click "send". I post the documentation to Balbriggan.

09 November 2020: I haven't heard anything back yet. Surely the gears are turning, it'll probably happen in a few weeks...

The combination of extra demand (Brexit) and reduced throughput (Covid-19) has surely caused an extreme spike in wait times. If anybody's thinking of applying now, well, I assume most of the extra demand has already passed through and the restrictions in throughput can hardly get any worse, so your wait would probably be less than my 2 years.

schmood
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by schmood » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful.

Ireland seems to be doing relatively well with handling COVID. So here's hoping it stays that way, and maybe the office will reopen before the end of the year... Will definitely take your tip of using the web-chat
ripforreallldo wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:47 pm
schmood wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:34 pm
Hi all,

I finally got all my documents together just in time for the new lockdown. Sigh. I thought I'd may as well send them off so they are ready to process once 'Dublin returns to tier 3'. Unfortunately, I lost the tracking number for my package but I did send it recorded 1st class delivery, about a week ago. I haven't heard anything back which obviously makes sense because there's no one working there but I did start to panic a little

1. Can I expect to get a 'confirmation of receipt' email once they do reopen their office?
2. Should I be worried that the package is lost forever/if there is physically nobody there to receive it?
3. Would also be great to hear from anyone who submitted during the first lockdown or now

Thanks all

Hey schmood I sent my digital app at the end of March, and my paper docs immediately afterwards. They didn’t get to Ireland until May 26, during the first lockdown. The governments were limiting the amount of planes in and out of the countries and USPS told me they were essentially waiting to fill the plane with mail before it got sent off.. I never got an email saying it was received but when I contacted the web chat service a few weeks ago they said they had received it and my timeline of 12-18 months would begin from May 27 so right now I have supposedly 6-12 months left. They have such a big estimate window bc so think they were anticipating another lockdown. Even though they are closed, they are definitely still accepting apps. So, I wouldn’t expect to hear anything but try contacting the office when they open back up and see if they’ve received it. Good Luck!

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JuniorBatman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:52 am

A while since I've posted my obsessive watching of the stats, partly because I've been on my back with Covid for a few weeks (and having had that experience, have no issue whatsoever with the closure of their processing centre).

I guess it's all back to square one now, since there will be at least another few weeks added to times. The overall average since the first lockdown has been 461 days from confirmation of receipt to confirmation of address. However, it was also clear after initially slowing down that they are getting quicker overall, and because of the way they appear to be doing batches some people are getting it a lot quicker than others. (Usual caveats that there's not a huge dataset and those motivated to report their dates on her are probably not representative of the typical application.)

Applications received in April 2019: 454 days
in May 2019: 477 days
in June 2019: 488 days
In July 2019: 446 days
In August 2019: 433 days

The graph shows it quite nicely but not sure what the best way to get that image hosted to show on here is.

jgharte87
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:28 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgharte87 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Long time lurker, cheers for the positivity folks, and for what it’s worth thought I’d post my timeline.

Applied online: early august 2019
Confirmation of documents received: 13/08/2019
Confirmation of address email: 19/10/2020
Added to FBR: TBC

Annoying the confirmation email says “ I am pleased to inform you that your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly.” I responded with an hour or so with confirmed address but then Dublin went back into lockdown. Was hoping my documents and the FBR certificate would have been posted just before lockdown but as I’ve still not received anything, I assume not.

Hopefully only another few weeks to wait! Keep the faith folks

adorinda
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:30 pm
Canada

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by adorinda » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:38 pm

Hi all, my documents were received exactly 1 year ago tomorrow and I have heard nothing since (not surprising, given what I have read here, which has been very helpful).

What I am currently thinking about: my grandmother first married my grandfather, but then divorced and remarried someone else, and so the last name on her death certificate is her second husband's last name. I did not include the second marriage certificate in my original application but have now obtained it. Any insight into whether that marriage certificate will be requested? If yes, is that marriage certificate sufficient or does anyone know if I would also need a divorce certificate from her first marriage to my grandfather (hoping not as this would be much more difficult)?

Also, any knowledge on if it is possible/recommended to submit other documents now, before they are requested? What info would I provide to ensure it is matched to my application? I want to minimize delays!

Many thanks!

MikeyMike
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:35 am

adorinda wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:38 pm
Hi all, my documents were received exactly 1 year ago tomorrow and I have heard nothing since (not surprising, given what I have read here, which has been very helpful).

What I am currently thinking about: my grandmother first married my grandfather, but then divorced and remarried someone else, and so the last name on her death certificate is her second husband's last name. I did not include the second marriage certificate in my original application but have now obtained it. Any insight into whether that marriage certificate will be requested? If yes, is that marriage certificate sufficient or does anyone know if I would also need a divorce certificate from her first marriage to my grandfather (hoping not as this would be much more difficult)?

Also, any knowledge on if it is possible/recommended to submit other documents now, before they are requested? What info would I provide to ensure it is matched to my application? I want to minimize delays!

Many thanks!
I found the instructions concerning marriage certificates to be a little vague but my understanding is that they are required where surnames have changed in the path back to the qualifying relative.

In my case, eligibility derives from my maternal grandparents. Having chosen my grandfather, I only submitted my mother's marriage certificate, thus establishing the link between my surname, her married & maiden names and her father's surname. If on the other hand I had chosen my grandmother, I would have needed to supply her marriage certificate as well, to establish the link between her maiden & married surnames and my mother's maiden name (derived from my grandfather). Essentially, the path starts from the surname on the birth certificate of the qualifying relative and ends with your surname.

Concerning submission of additional documents, I believe the correct and safest approach is to wait for a request from DFA. There shouldn't be much of a delay, apart from the turnaround time of the new documents. In any case, a covering letter with your application number (also on the outside of the envelope) would be wise.

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm

[
[/quote]

I found the instructions concerning marriage certificates to be a little vague but my understanding is that they are required where surnames have changed in the path back to the qualifying relative.

In my case, eligibility derives from my maternal grandparents. Having chosen my grandfather, I only submitted my mother's marriage certificate, thus establishing the link between my surname, her married & maiden names and her father's surname. If on the other hand I had chosen my grandmother, I would have needed to supply her marriage certificate as well, to establish the link between her maiden & married surnames and my mother's maiden name (derived from my grandfather). Essentially, the path starts from the surname on the birth certificate of the qualifying relative and ends with your surname.

Concerning submission of additional documents, I believe the correct and safest approach is to wait for a request from DFA. There shouldn't be much of a delay, apart from the turnaround time of the new documents. In any case, a covering letter with your application number (also on the outside of the envelope) would be wise.
[/quote]

You didn't include your grandparents marriage certificate? I would think they would want that even if name did not change. My grandfather's name is Michael Kelly and there are lots of Michael Kelly's. If I submitted any old Michael Kelly birth certificate how would they know it's the correct one.There are 101 other Michael Kelly's born in just the same year as him in Ireland. His marriage certificate contains HIS parents names. That's why they want his marriage certifcate too. It matches his parents names with the birth certificate.


jgclancy

MikeyMike
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm
[
I found the instructions concerning marriage certificates to be a little vague but my understanding is that they are required where surnames have changed in the path back to the qualifying relative.

In my case, eligibility derives from my maternal grandparents. Having chosen my grandfather, I only submitted my mother's marriage certificate, thus establishing the link between my surname, her married & maiden names and her father's surname. If on the other hand I had chosen my grandmother, I would have needed to supply her marriage certificate as well, to establish the link between her maiden & married surnames and my mother's maiden name (derived from my grandfather). Essentially, the path starts from the surname on the birth certificate of the qualifying relative and ends with your surname.

Concerning submission of additional documents, I believe the correct and safest approach is to wait for a request from DFA. There shouldn't be much of a delay, apart from the turnaround time of the new documents. In any case, a covering letter with your application number (also on the outside of the envelope) would be wise.
[/quote]

You didn't include your grandparents marriage certificate? I would think they would want that even if name did not change. My grandfather's name is Michael Kelly and there are lots of Michael Kelly's. If I submitted any old Michael Kelly birth certificate how would they know it's the correct one.There are 101 other Michael Kelly's born in just the same year as him in Ireland. His marriage certificate contains HIS parents names. That's why they want his marriage certifcate too. It matches his parents names with the birth certificate.


jgclancy
[/quote]

I did not, although I can obtain it easily enough if they subsequently ask. Although both my maternal grandparents were Irish born I deliberately chose to apply for FBR through my grandfather rather than my grandmother precisely to avoid the extra time and cost of obtaining additional marriage certificates (to complicate things, my grandmother was widowed before marrying my grandfather).

As I said, the DFA wording around marriage certificates is a bit vague in my opinion but I think it's to establish familial links where surnames have changed. The following text from the DFA website seems to imply that birth certificate with parent details will be used to help establish basic identity whilst marriage certificate covers surname changes. Note the phrase "OR other change of name document". If I'm right then since my grandfather's name did not change through marriage, no need for the certificate.

"Original civil birth certificate of Irish born grandparent (showing parental details). Original civil marriage certificate of Irish born grandparent (if applicable) OR other change of name document."

Also, if your logic is correct what would happen in the case that my grandfather never married my grandmother but still appeared on my mother's birth certificate? A far stronger confirmation of my grandfather's identity, surely, is what the DFA do ask for which is birth certificate and current ID (or, sadly in the case of my grandfather, death certificate), where name, place of birth and date of birth correlate.

Anyway, I'll find out in a year or two if the DFA come knocking for my grandparents' marriage certificate!

Berthalily18
Newly Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:11 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Berthalily18 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:06 pm

I was interested to see your posts. My problem is that I simply can't locate the marriage certificate of grandparents anywhere. Having assumed they married in Ireland before migrating to England, i searched high and low in terms of looking at dates and neighbouring counties to cover all eventualities. No joy. Then thought perhaps they did marry in Britain. No sign there, either! I was assuming the certificate was required, but now wondering if that's true, after reading your posts! (A helpful chap in the Waterford Heritage Centre is going all out to help me. He couldn't find it either, and said he'd try to directly access the records of the likely church, though lockdown isn't helping!)

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:15 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm
[
I found the instructions concerning marriage certificates to be a little vague but my understanding is that they are required where surnames have changed in the path back to the qualifying relative.

In my case, eligibility derives from my maternal grandparents. Having chosen my grandfather, I only submitted my mother's marriage certificate, thus establishing the link between my surname, her married & maiden names and her father's surname. If on the other hand I had chosen my grandmother, I would have needed to supply her marriage certificate as well, to establish the link between her maiden & married surnames and my mother's maiden name (derived from my grandfather). Essentially, the path starts from the surname on the birth certificate of the qualifying relative and ends with your surname.

Concerning submission of additional documents, I believe the correct and safest approach is to wait for a request from DFA. There shouldn't be much of a delay, apart from the turnaround time of the new documents. In any case, a covering letter with your application number (also on the outside of the envelope) would be wise.
You didn't include your grandparents marriage certificate? I would think they would want that even if name did not change. My grandfather's name is Michael Kelly and there are lots of Michael Kelly's. If I submitted any old Michael Kelly birth certificate how would they know it's the correct one.There are 101 other Michael Kelly's born in just the same year as him in Ireland. His marriage certificate contains HIS parents names. That's why they want his marriage certifcate too. It matches his parents names with the birth certificate.


jgclancy
[/quote]

I did not, although I can obtain it easily enough if they subsequently ask. Although both my maternal grandparents were Irish born I deliberately chose to apply for FBR through my grandfather rather than my grandmother precisely to avoid the extra time and cost of obtaining additional marriage certificates (to complicate things, my grandmother was widowed before marrying my grandfather).

As I said, the DFA wording around marriage certificates is a bit vague in my opinion but I think it's to establish familial links where surnames have changed. The following text from the DFA website seems to imply that birth certificate with parent details will be used to help establish basic identity whilst marriage certificate covers surname changes. Note the phrase "OR other change of name document". If I'm right then since my grandfather's name did not change through marriage, no need for the certificate.

"Original civil birth certificate of Irish born grandparent (showing parental details). Original civil marriage certificate of Irish born grandparent (if applicable) OR other change of name document."

Also, if your logic is correct what would happen in the case that my grandfather never married my grandmother but still appeared on my mother's birth certificate? A far stronger confirmation of my grandfather's identity, surely, is what the DFA do ask for which is birth certificate and current ID (or, sadly in the case of my grandfather, death certificate), where name, place of birth and date of birth correlate.

Anyway, I'll find out in a year or two if the DFA come knocking for my grandparents' marriage certificate!
[/quote]

Yes-it's all a little vague I agree. I was lucky that my grandparents marriage certificate was rather easy to obtain. Hopefully, they don't ask you for it. It's all a cumulation of document information to prove the direct applicant to grandparent line is correct. I even tossed in a notarized 1911 Irish Census for my grandfather as proof . God luck.
jgclancy

Pb300
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:49 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Pb300 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:19 am

JuniorBatman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:52 am
A while since I've posted my obsessive watching of the stats, partly because I've been on my back with Covid for a few weeks (and having had that experience, have no issue whatsoever with the closure of their processing centre).

I guess it's all back to square one now, since there will be at least another few weeks added to times. The overall average since the first lockdown has been 461 days from confirmation of receipt to confirmation of address. However, it was also clear after initially slowing down that they are getting quicker overall, and because of the way they appear to be doing batches some people are getting it a lot quicker than others. (Usual caveats that there's not a huge dataset and those motivated to report their dates on her are probably not representative of the typical application.)

Applications received in April 2019: 454 days
in May 2019: 477 days
in June 2019: 488 days
In July 2019: 446 days
In August 2019: 433 days

The graph shows it quite nicely but not sure what the best way to get that image hosted to show on here is.

Pb300
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:49 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Pb300 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:26 am

I am not sure how I feel about this info since I am now over 515 days since my documents were received in June 2019. It is a bit concerning to hear about responses from August 2019 applicants, especially since they are following “strict” process order.

TheImagineer
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by TheImagineer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 am

I sent my application away in April of this year, and it was received by dfa only a few days before my child's birth, stating on the application that i was an expectant parent.

I cannot remember finding any details when applying at the time that i had to be registered on the FBR for my child to automatically be eligible - only mention of stating that you were an expectant parent with your application.

Have a completely fckd this up? Can anyone tell me if there's any way to appeal?

jamiepompey
Junior Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jamiepompey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:21 pm

TheImagineer wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 am
I sent my application away in April of this year, and it was received by dfa only a few days before my child's birth, stating on the application that i was an expectant parent.

I cannot remember finding any details when applying at the time that i had to be registered on the FBR for my child to automatically be eligible - only mention of stating that you were an expectant parent with your application.

Have a completely fckd this up? Can anyone tell me if there's any way to appeal?
If you haven't heard from them then it is likely that you weren't registered in time. It would usually take them more than a few days for them to sort out the registration. I sent in a letter in early September telling them that my wife was expecting and I was added to the register on October 3rd. So it took them around a month to actually add me. My wife is due in January so there was still enough time. As far as I'm aware, the rules are, if you're not on the FBR when your child is born then they won't be eligible. I don't know your exact circumstances though so probably best to check with them when they reopen. I do feel for you though, what a shame if you can't pass it on.

In the FBR section on the website the rules are written in bold. Link below.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JuniorBatman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Pb300 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:26 am
I am not sure how I feel about this info since I am now over 515 days since my documents were received in June 2019. It is a bit concerning to hear about responses from August 2019 applicants, especially since they are following “strict” process order.
Not sure I can offer any reassurance. Oddly there aren't many reports from people in June, or I've missed them if there are, so my average for that month is only based on three people. It was It definitely seems to be the peak and the longest of the three was 498 days.

It is speculation but I've long felt, based on the dates, that they aren't processed in strict date order but there was something else at play, possibly as simple as them just pulling the applications from a big pile. It certainly felt like they were processing from a wide range just before the lockdown.

andrewberry
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by andrewberry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 am

Could someone tell me whether the "email confirming address" comes from the same email address that confirmed receipt of the application? I believe the email confirming receipt of the application was from noreply@dfat.ie.

I believe I accidentally deleted the email confirming receipt of the application. The email is no longer in my account, but for some reason when I search on my idiot-phone it shows I received an email from "noreply@dfat.ie".
The application was submitted Mid-October 2019.
Long story short, I saved this email address to my contacts so I don't lose an email again (or it goes to spam.)

Could anyone confirm that "noreply@dfat.ie" is the email the FBR will use to contact me to confirm my mailing address? Thanks!

Doddyod
Newly Registered
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Doddyod » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi,

Address confirmation came from PPOCFBRSection@dfa.ie for me. . . The day before the new shutdown :-)

DoddyOD

BigDaddy100
Junior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BigDaddy100 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:36 pm

I received mine from fbrclarification@dfa.ie

FlyingMum
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:48 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by FlyingMum » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Mine came on 19/10 from: fbrclarification@dfa.ie

andrewberry
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by andrewberry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll save those email addresses so the email doesn’t go to spam.

Berthalily18
Newly Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:11 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Berthalily18 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi again. So....I have now managed to obtain all relevant documents from various kinds of research etc, except my grandparents' marriage certificate. There is simply no record of their marriage. I have searched beyond the obvious Irish country (Waterford); I have searched a ridiculously wide period of time for the marriage record. I have even searched the UK records extensively, just in case. Nothing. I engaged the assistance of a chap in the Waterford Heritage Centre, who also drew a blank. He even went to the church he thought might have some records that aren't online, but still nothing. He says that the church's records for that particular period are simply not there. I surmise that something must have happened to them. I am pretty certain my grandparents DID marry. The Irish authorities must surely have witnessed my kind of problem before? Does anyone have any idea what I should do, or what the FBR people might think of this situation? Many thanks.

schmood
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by schmood » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:59 am

So as of tomorrow Ireland is leaving Level 5 and re-entering Level 3 of the National Framework for Living with COVID-19. Hoping this means the FBR should start processing again but the phases are a bit confusing.

AP1972
Newly Registered
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by AP1972 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 am

schmood wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:59 am
So as of tomorrow Ireland is leaving Level 5 and re-entering Level 3 of the National Framework for Living with COVID-19. Hoping this means the FBR should start processing again but the phases are a bit confusing.
Trying to get on the webchat, either they are overwhelmed or still not working?

Corkythecat
Newly Registered
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Corkythecat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:16 am

schmood wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:59 am
So as of tomorrow Ireland is leaving Level 5 and re-entering Level 3 of the National Framework for Living with COVID-19. Hoping this means the FBR should start processing again but the phases are a bit confusing.
Foreign Birth Registrations

The processing of Foreign Birth Registrations will resume on 1 December 2020.


Copied from the dfa website - they have updated the holding page. So official confirmation that they are processing FBR and passports form today.

Good news and long may it continue.

I submitted my application in August 2019 so was hoping to hear soon.
My two siblings applied in July 2019 - Just before lockdown ,one had received the FBR certificate and the other had the confirmation of address email.

Good luck everyone and thanks for the postings.

Post Reply
cron