ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
BigDaddy100
Junior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BigDaddy100 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:47 pm

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:28 pm
Has anyone else changed their address after applying for a passport? We will be moving at the end of March (same general area). After processing, does the Passport Office or Consulate send an address confirmation email like the FBR team does, or should I reach out to them now? 8)
UPDATE: I contacted the Consulate. They told me to provide the new address and they would update my application.

anthonydoh
Newly Registered
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by anthonydoh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:41 am

Applied for my kids in May 2019.

Still waiting.

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JuniorBatman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:53 pm

As much as it is mightily inconvenient for those of us waiting for an FBR I'm not sure we should be criticising the way the Irish government are handling it, especially here.

Pretty much every government in the world has faced criticism for the way they have handled things, whether it's doing too much, too little, too quick or too slow. It is for the Irish government to decide what measures they think are necessary and I wouldn't expect them to give my needs too much weight. For the most part those waiting are the second generation born outside Ireland and won't ever have lived or paid tax on the island.

It's inconvenient, but often we are only going through the process for our own convenience. Personally I'm hugely grateful that Ireland has such a liberal citizenship policy, and don't have any complaint over them exercising their sovereign right to implement a lockdown policy. I'd rather wait a little longer for my children to become Irish than risk people in Ireland becoming ill to speed it up.

V3rvangen
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by V3rvangen » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:02 pm

JuniorBatman wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:53 pm
As much as it is mightily inconvenient for those of us waiting for an FBR I'm not sure we should be criticising the way the Irish government are handling it, especially here.

Pretty much every government in the world has faced criticism for the way they have handled things, whether it's doing too much, too little, too quick or too slow. It is for the Irish government to decide what measures they think are necessary and I wouldn't expect them to give my needs too much weight. For the most part those waiting are the second generation born outside Ireland and won't ever have lived or paid tax on the island.

It's inconvenient, but often we are only going through the process for our own convenience. Personally I'm hugely grateful that Ireland has such a liberal citizenship policy, and don't have any complaint over them exercising their sovereign right to implement a lockdown policy. I'd rather wait a little longer for my children to become Irish than risk people in Ireland becoming ill to speed it up.
I do agree that all of us here are incredibly lucky that Ireland has such a liberal citizenship policy, and I truly will be eternally grateful for it, and will cherish it far and above my other citizenship and country ties. But the fact remains that Irish law grants us the right to participate in the Irish nation, after a simple registration process. It's an awkward grey area in the sense that we're not citizens yet, but yet are intrinsically entitled to it from birth. Obviously as non-citizens yet our needs should be behind the needs of current citizens, and
I'll accept I'm a bit frustrated because of my personal situation, but I do think the waiting period is getting beyond what the process is supposed to be, and it's just a little frustrating to see a lack of action. Although of course those working in the actual FBR office won't be the ones making these decisions, and I don't mean it to come across as though I'm complaining at anyone personally.

chelsearob77
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by chelsearob77 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:21 pm

JuniorBatman wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:53 pm
As much as it is mightily inconvenient for those of us waiting for an FBR I'm not sure we should be criticising the way the Irish government are handling it, especially here.

Pretty much every government in the world has faced criticism for the way they have handled things, whether it's doing too much, too little, too quick or too slow. It is for the Irish government to decide what measures they think are necessary and I wouldn't expect them to give my needs too much weight. For the most part those waiting are the second generation born outside Ireland and won't ever have lived or paid tax on the island.

It's inconvenient, but often we are only going through the process for our own convenience. Personally I'm hugely grateful that Ireland has such a liberal citizenship policy, and don't have any complaint over them exercising their sovereign right to implement a lockdown policy. I'd rather wait a little longer for my children to become Irish than risk people in Ireland becoming ill to speed it up.
To have the Irish Foreign Birth offices closed since late December last year and not be able to process any applications until next month (or possibly even later) is beyond ridiculous!

Yes there is a global pandemic but as I said before most businesses have been able to make their work premises Covid safe for their employees but the Irish Foreign Birth and Passports offices have been unable to do the same?

I’m not in any rush for my Irish citizenship to be processed but am entitled to express my opinion on their lack of progress since December last year!

And no I don’t expect the Irish Foreign Birth Registration department employees to be taking everyone’s official documents home to process our Irish citizenships but as others said previously on here they should have been verifying the official documents and scanning them upon receiving them so they would be ready for processing when the time came for the processing of the applicants citizenship application there’s nothing to stop a certain number of their employees to go into the offices to check and scan our documents now surly providing Covid safety mesures was in place?

Also for the record I lived, worked and paid taxes for a good few years in Ireland until recently so have have a strong understanding of the country and not just someone wanting a quick EU passport through my Irish grandparents.

Colfla
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Colfla » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi all

Sent off my documents this week for my FBR application but just read that I should send them until the office reopens after lockdown!!! Even worse I didn’t send them signed for ( :oops: ) and I didn’t even put a return address on the envelope ( :oops: ). I feel sick.

Worst case scenario: if the letter is turned away by the office, will the Irish post open the letter before destroying it, so they will be able to return the precious documents to me?

Thanks :)

Corkythecat
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Corkythecat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi Colfla,

Even though they are not processing I can't believe they would actually destroy post sent to the FBR service.
But until you have had your email from the FBR team you are bound to be worrying.

Maybe you could try and get some reassurance from An Post - they have a contact page with both a messaging option and a telephone number

https://www.anpost.com/Help-Support/Contact-Us

Regards

Colfla
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Colfla » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Corky.

Yes I’m sure it’s just anxiety getting the better of me. Just feel a bit silly having read afterwards, and not putting a return address on the envelope.

Best case scenario it gets delivered and added to the pile.

Worse case scenario, someone from the post office will open it, find my address and send it back... right? ;)

nmcilveen2016
BANNED
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:03 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by nmcilveen2016 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 am

People on here spouting criticism of FBR delays due to a global pandemic are acting very entitled.

First of all no one is eligible to be issued a certificate on the basis of an application alone, checks need to be made to establish a claim to irish citizenship, the most common reason for FBR to be rejected is that the applicant submits their application on the basis of a great grandparent and above, which is not possible and a bulk of these applications would come from the USA as there is a huge misconception among the irish american community that any form of "irish heritage" no matter how vague gives them the right to hold irish citizenship which is of course is false and ultimately delays the process for everyone else who is eligible.

Second of all people complaining that their personal documents are somehow being "withheld" from them by the INIS where not forced to submit an application and sent in the documents knowing that for whatever reason there could be delays in processing ect, you are applying for citizenship of another country and applications need to be checked throughly which takes time and you cannot demand for it to be expedited.

nmcilveen2016
BANNED
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:03 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by nmcilveen2016 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 am

Colfla wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm
Hi all

Sent off my documents this week for my FBR application but just read that I should send them until the office reopens after lockdown!!! Even worse I didn’t send them signed for ( :oops: ) and I didn’t even put a return address on the envelope ( :oops: ). I feel sick.

Worst case scenario: if the letter is turned away by the office, will the Irish post open the letter before destroying it, so they will be able to return the precious documents to me?

Thanks :)
Mail is not being "turned away" from the office, it is still being delivered however no mail will actually be opened or any documents processed until normal operations resume.

nmcilveen2016
BANNED
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:03 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by nmcilveen2016 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am

V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm
I have to say, the fact that the office is likely now closed again all the way until at least April is absolutely insane. I could understand the office being closed during the first lockdowns, when this situation was new and the whole world was caught by surprise and shut down, but they've now had a year to find a way to carry on service. Every other business has had to find ways to work from home, or make their workplaces safe. It is absolutely unacceptable to close such an important government service, which people like myself are depending on.
At this rate, I won't get my citizenship until 2022, when I'm intending to study abroad in September later this year, so I'll likely have to postpone that for a year.
Can I please point out that no one's FBR application is guaranteed to be successful and citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right, hence why an application has to be made and proof needs to be submitted which in some cases is not deemed sufficient enough.

So let me get this straight you are depending on the fact that Ireland will grant you irish citizenship, despite the fact that no FBR application submitted is guaranteed and there is a possible chance for whatever reason the application could be rejected, thats your own fault you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study !

nmcilveen2016
BANNED
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:03 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by nmcilveen2016 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 am

nmcilveen2016 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm
I have to say, the fact that the office is likely now closed again all the way until at least April is absolutely insane. I could understand the office being closed during the first lockdowns, when this situation was new and the whole world was caught by surprise and shut down, but they've now had a year to find a way to carry on service. Every other business has had to find ways to work from home, or make their workplaces safe. It is absolutely unacceptable to close such an important government service, which people like myself are depending on.
At this rate, I won't get my citizenship until 2022, when I'm intending to study abroad in September later this year, so I'll likely have to postpone that for a year.
Can I please point out that no one's FBR application is guaranteed to be successful and citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right, hence why an application has to be made and proof needs to be submitted which in some cases is not deemed sufficient enough.

So let me get this straight you are depending on the fact that Ireland will grant you irish citizenship, despite the fact that no FBR application submitted is guaranteed and there is a possible chance for whatever reason the application could be rejected, thats your own fault you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study ! No one should ever be applying for FBR citizenship with the expectation that it will be granted, thats not the way it works.

V3rvangen
Newly Registered
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by V3rvangen » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 am

nmcilveen2016 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm
I have to say, the fact that the office is likely now closed again all the way until at least April is absolutely insane. I could understand the office being closed during the first lockdowns, when this situation was new and the whole world was caught by surprise and shut down, but they've now had a year to find a way to carry on service. Every other business has had to find ways to work from home, or make their workplaces safe. It is absolutely unacceptable to close such an important government service, which people like myself are depending on.
At this rate, I won't get my citizenship until 2022, when I'm intending to study abroad in September later this year, so I'll likely have to postpone that for a year.
Can I please point out that no one's FBR application is guaranteed to be successful and citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right, hence why an application has to be made and proof needs to be submitted which in some cases is not deemed sufficient enough.

So let me get this straight you are depending on the fact that Ireland will grant you irish citizenship, despite the fact that no FBR application submitted is guaranteed and there is a possible chance for whatever reason the application could be rejected, thats your own fault you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study !
I don't want to get into an argument, I know that's why the last thread on FBR was shut down, and I feel like I've been as civil as possible.

But you can't just go spouting things like 'citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right' - actually yes it is, providing the criteria are met. That's kind of the entire point of this process.

Obviously sufficient evidence needs to be submitted, as it does for anything, so I don't understand your point that 'for whatever reason the application could be rejected' - providing we meet the criteria and submit the required evidence, why would it be rejected? And even if mine does eventually get rejected for some unforeseen reason, my entire issue is that NO evidence is being reviewed for ANY applications at this point.

I'm also fed up of this idea that wanting to be granted your legal right in a timely manner is somehow acting 'entitled'; Irish law allows me to become an Irish citizen, I have paid a large fee to exercise that right. I don't see that as any more entitled than making use of any other public service where I'm legally entitled to it.

'you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study' - well we all have our own personal reasons for applying, and I won't be shamed for mine. I'm legally entitled to become an Irish citizen. I've already accepted I'm frustrated because of my personal situation, and I feel like I've been more than patient in the year since I submitted my application. I'm not complaining at 'FBR delays' as you put it - if they were processing at even a 20th of the speed as before the pandemic, that would be some progress and I wouldn't be as frustrated. But they've completely shut down a crucial service.

chelsearob77
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by chelsearob77 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:18 pm

chelsearob77 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:21 pm
JuniorBatman wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:53 pm
As much as it is mightily inconvenient for those of us waiting for an FBR I'm not sure we should be criticising the way the Irish government are handling it, especially here.

Pretty much every government in the world has faced criticism for the way they have handled things, whether it's doing too much, too little, too quick or too slow. It is for the Irish government to decide what measures they think are necessary and I wouldn't expect them to give my needs too much weight. For the most part those waiting are the second generation born outside Ireland and won't ever have lived or paid tax on the island.

It's inconvenient, but often we are only going through the process for our own convenience. Personally I'm hugely grateful that Ireland has such a liberal citizenship policy, and don't have any complaint over them exercising their sovereign right to implement a lockdown policy. I'd rather wait a little longer for my children to become Irish than risk people in Ireland becoming ill to speed it up.
To have the Irish Foreign Birth offices closed since late December last year and not be able to process any applications until next month (or possibly even later) is beyond ridiculous!

Yes there is currently a global pandemic but as I said before most businesses have been more than able to make their work premises Covid safe for their employees but the Irish Foreign Birth and Passports offices have been unable to do the same?

Don’t get me wrong I’m not in any particular rush for my Irish citizenship to be processed but am entitled to express my opinion on their total lack of progress since December last year!

And no I don’t expect the Irish Foreign Birth Registration department employees to be taking everyone’s official documents home to be able to process our Irish citizenships but as others said previously on here they should have been verifying the official documents and scanning them upon receiving them in their offices so they would be ready for processing when the time came for the processing of the applicants citizenship application, surly there’s nothing to stop a certain number of their employees to go into the offices to check and scan our documents now surly providing Covid safety mesures was in place?

Also for the record I lived, worked and paid taxes for a good few years in Ireland until recently so have a strong understanding of the country and not just someone wanting a quick EU passport through my Irish grandparents.

chelsearob77
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by chelsearob77 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:26 pm

V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 am
nmcilveen2016 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm
I have to say, the fact that the office is likely now closed again all the way until at least April is absolutely insane. I could understand the office being closed during the first lockdowns, when this situation was new and the whole world was caught by surprise and shut down, but they've now had a year to find a way to carry on service. Every other business has had to find ways to work from home, or make their workplaces safe. It is absolutely unacceptable to close such an important government service, which people like myself are depending on.
At this rate, I won't get my citizenship until 2022, when I'm intending to study abroad in September later this year, so I'll likely have to postpone that for a year.
Can I please point out that no one's FBR application is guaranteed to be successful and citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right, hence why an application has to be made and proof needs to be submitted which in some cases is not deemed sufficient enough.

So let me get this straight you are depending on the fact that Ireland will grant you irish citizenship, despite the fact that no FBR application submitted is guaranteed and there is a possible chance for whatever reason the application could be rejected, thats your own fault you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study !
I don't want to get into an argument, I know that's why the last thread on FBR was shut down, and I feel like I've been as civil as possible.

But you can't just go spouting things like 'citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right' - actually yes it is, providing the criteria are met. That's kind of the entire point of this process.

Obviously sufficient evidence needs to be submitted, as it does for anything, so I don't understand your point that 'for whatever reason the application could be rejected' - providing we meet the criteria and submit the required evidence, why would it be rejected? And even if mine does eventually get rejected for some unforeseen reason, my entire issue is that NO evidence is being reviewed for ANY applications at this point.

I'm also fed up of this idea that wanting to be granted your legal right in a timely manner is somehow acting 'entitled'; Irish law allows me to become an Irish citizen, I have paid a large fee to exercise that right. I don't see that as any more entitled than making use of any other public service where I'm legally entitled to it.

'you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study' - well we all have our own personal reasons for applying, and I won't be shamed for mine. I'm legally entitled to become an Irish citizen. I've already accepted I'm frustrated because of my personal situation, and I feel like I've been more than patient in the year since I submitted my application. I'm not complaining at 'FBR delays' as you put it - if they were processing at even a 20th of the speed as before the pandemic, that would be some progress and I wouldn't be as frustrated. But they've completely shut down a crucial service.
Exactly my point!

The Irish Foreign Birth Registration Department (and also Irish passport offices) have been closed since late December until April or even May is a bit much, and anyone still waiting for their Irish citizenship to be processed is entitled to their opinions positive or negative.

chelsearob77
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by chelsearob77 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:36 pm

nmcilveen2016 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am
V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm
I have to say, the fact that the office is likely now closed again all the way until at least April is absolutely insane. I could understand the office being closed during the first lockdowns, when this situation was new and the whole world was caught by surprise and shut down, but they've now had a year to find a way to carry on service. Every other business has had to find ways to work from home, or make their workplaces safe. It is absolutely unacceptable to close such an important government service, which people like myself are depending on.
At this rate, I won't get my citizenship until 2022, when I'm intending to study abroad in September later this year, so I'll likely have to postpone that for a year.
Can I please point out that no one's FBR application is guaranteed to be successful and citizenship on the basis of irish grandparents is not an automatic right, hence why an application has to be made and proof needs to be submitted which in some cases is not deemed sufficient enough.

So let me get this straight you are depending on the fact that Ireland will grant you irish citizenship, despite the fact that no FBR application submitted is guaranteed and there is a possible chance for whatever reason the application could be rejected, thats your own fault you can't automatically expect that another country gives you citizenship so you can go and study !
On the DFA website in relation to Irish Foreign Birth Registration it states:

If you were born outside of Ireland, you can become an Irish citizen if:

One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or;
One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland.
In these cases, you can become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration.

So as long as people have collected and submitted all the required supporting documents I can’t see why their application would be rejected?

brianteur
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:01 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by brianteur » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi, everybody! I have a question about the FBR. I understand it's closed until at least April, I am just trying to get all my documents together in preparation.

My husband had a hard time finding a birth certificate for his grandfather, but was eventually able to find a baptismal record. We got in contact with the parish and they were able to send it to us in the form of an official document that confirms that they have a record of his grandfather's baptism, official dates, stamps and all, signed by the current priest.

At the top of the document it says "BIRTH AND BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE", but the birth date on the template is left with a line through it, I'm assuming since they don't know his exact birthday either.

From what I understood previously, if you have a baptismal certificate you can then apply to make a birth certificate with it and then use that new birth certificate to do FBR. However, if the document already says birth certificate on it and is notarized, does that mean that we have to go through the formal process of making a new birth certificate? Are there any guidelines on this type of thing?

Any input would be appreciated!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:45 pm

brianteur wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm
...However, if the document already says birth certificate on it and is notarized, does that mean that we have to go through the formal process of making a new birth certificate? Are there any guidelines on this type of thing?
When I was in the same position as you, I did some research and found that you had previously been able to apply using a baptismal certificate but that policy had subsequently changed and you now had to provide a civil birth certificate. I don't have a record of where I read that, but the 'supporting documents' list on the DFA website now states: 'Original Long form Civil Birth Certificate'

It's really not difficult to carry out a late registration of birth, however it's likely that you'll experience some form of delay for the next few months because of Covid disruption. However, once they're back up and running, the process should only take a couple of weeks as there's no queue like there is for FBR. The fact that the baptism certificate doesn't have a date might cause you a problem, but you've done the hard work, i.e. finding the local parish church with the baptism register, so if necessary, you could get them to edit that one or provide a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if the General Register Office will do that for you, as they seemed extremely friendly and helpful.

brianteur
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:01 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by brianteur » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:04 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:45 pm
brianteur wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm
...However, if the document already says birth certificate on it and is notarized, does that mean that we have to go through the formal process of making a new birth certificate? Are there any guidelines on this type of thing?
When I was in the same position as you, I did some research and found that you had previously been able to apply using a baptismal certificate but that policy had subsequently changed and you now had to provide a civil birth certificate. I don't have a record of where I read that, but the 'supporting documents' list on the DFA website now states: 'Original Long form Civil Birth Certificate'

It's really not difficult to carry out a late registration of birth, however it's likely that you'll experience some form of delay for the next few months because of Covid disruption. However, once they're back up and running, the process should only take a couple of weeks as there's no queue like there is for FBR. The fact that the baptism certificate doesn't have a date might cause you a problem, but you've done the hard work, i.e. finding the local parish church with the baptism register, so if necessary, you could get them to edit that one or provide a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if the General Register Office will do that for you, as they seemed extremely friendly and helpful.
thank you so much for your reply! The baptismal certificate says when the baptism was performed, just not his grandfather's birthday. But am I right in understanding based on your comment that a "BIRTH AND BAPTISM CERTIFICATE" document is different than a civil birth certificate and therefore we will have to do the late registration anyway?

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:47 pm

brianteur wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:04 pm
But am I right in understanding based on your comment that a "BIRTH AND BAPTISM CERTIFICATE" document is different than a civil birth certificate and therefore we will have to do the late registration anyway?
That's correct. For my grandfather, the document which says 'birth and baptismal certificate' is the one I got from the church, and is generally just referred to as the baptism certificate. What you need is a document issued by the General Register Office (GRO), which will be entitled 'Birth Certificate' (in English and Irish) and have a picture of a harp at the top of the page.

To get one of these, you have to apply for a late registration of birth to the GRO with the following:

1. A 'no trace' certificate which says that the GRO have done a search for your grandparent's birth certificate but no entry was found.

2. The baptism certificate you already have.

3. The application form.

4. 20 Euros.

Here's the website for (1) above (half way down the page entitled 'no trace letter'):
https://www.gov.ie/en/service/124a70-ap ... cates.aspx

I can't find a webpage with late registration info or application form, but here are the contact details for the GRO, who deal with it and are very helpful:
https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/af7893- ... er-office/

BigDaddy100
Junior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BigDaddy100 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am

Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:22 pm

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
I hope that whenever they re-open the Dublin offices and send my FBR certificate that NYC will be doing the same.
jgclancy

jamiepompey
Junior Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:22 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
I hope that whenever they re-open the Dublin offices and send my FBR certificate that NYC will be doing the same.
jgclancy
Clancy and BigDaddy,

Have you both received your certificates/passports yet? Seems like you've been waiting for an absolute age.

BigDaddy100
Junior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BigDaddy100 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:40 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:22 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
I hope that whenever they re-open the Dublin offices and send my FBR certificate that NYC will be doing the same.
jgclancy
Clancy and BigDaddy,

Have you both received your certificates/passports yet? Seems like you've been waiting for an absolute age.
FBR Certificate: Yes (received October 2020). Passport: No (applied January 2021).

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:22 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am
Interesting statement from the Consulate in San Francisco about ending paper applications for first-time passport applicants, and transitioning to the Passport Online system in mid-April:
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/
I hope that whenever they re-open the Dublin offices and send my FBR certificate that NYC will be doing the same.
jgclancy
Clancy and BigDaddy,

Have you both received your certificates/passports yet? Seems like you've been waiting for an absolute age.
I received & replied to the "address check & you're approved email" on Dec 14th. Then it all shutdown. So once it starts up again I'll get certificate in the weeks/month thereafter. Hopefully haha!
jgclancy

Post Reply
cron