ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
MKCG
Junior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MKCG » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:46 am

V3rvangen wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm
I have to say, the fact that the office is likely now closed again all the way until at least April is absolutely insane. I could understand the office being closed during the first lockdowns, when this situation was new and the whole world was caught by surprise and shut down, but they've now had a year to find a way to carry on service. Every other business has had to find ways to work from home, or make their workplaces safe. It is absolutely unacceptable to close such an important government service, which people like myself are depending on.
At this rate, I won't get my citizenship until 2022, when I'm intending to study abroad in September later this year, so I'll likely have to postpone that for a year.
I’ve got to completely agree.
It’s an absolute disgrace that they’ve had a year to make their offices Covid secure, work from home half the week, whatever. But To just stop all work is just nonsense. Every other business in the world has found a way to operate.

I’m afraid this isn’t “can’t do”, this IS “won’t do”

240 quid upfront to likely wait now 2 years for an answer.

Hopeful_galway
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:04 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Hopeful_galway » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 am

Hey, curious for some thoughts here.

I got my paperwork in September of last year, got the email that it was received.

I know I am way at the back of the line, but probably sometime in 2022 we’re going to want to start trying for a family.

If we were to get pregnant, does Ireland accelerate applications?

Is there anything I should do now — I got my grandfathers birth certificate and all of that directly from Ireland so I think all my paperwork will be good to go but I’m just curious if anyone has any advice. Seems like if we’re lucky starting family we’d be cutting it close.

Mr_Knight
Newly Registered
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:55 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:50 pm

Hopeful_galway wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 am
Hey, curious for some thoughts here.

I got my paperwork in September of last year, got the email that it was received.

I know I am way at the back of the line, but probably sometime in 2022 we’re going to want to start trying for a family.

If we were to get pregnant, does Ireland accelerate applications?

Is there anything I should do now — I got my grandfathers birth certificate and all of that directly from Ireland so I think all my paperwork will be good to go but I’m just curious if anyone has any advice. Seems like if we’re lucky starting family we’d be cutting it close.
Yes a pregnancy will help jump the que. Not to sound crass but yes do the "business" it will expediate things and guarantee a cool opportunity for your offspring.

Hopeful_galway
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:04 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Hopeful_galway » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:50 pm
Hopeful_galway wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 am
Hey, curious for some thoughts here.

....removed for brevity
Yes a pregnancy will help jump the que. Not to sound crass but yes do the "business" it will expediate things and guarantee a cool opportunity for your offspring.
Great—that is what was unclear to me. I really empathize with all those on here who are caught maybe missing out while things are closed.

denzimart
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:15 am
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by denzimart » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:19 am

Anyone any thoughts on what will happen to an application on behalf of a child who will be adult by the time it is processed? Submitted application for my daughter who was 16 at the time, but will now most certainly be 18 when they start processing it. Hoping they don't reject at that point due to her no longer being a minor. FWIW, this is just about as easy an application as there is - all 4 grandparents born in Ireland, both my wife and I are Irish passport holders for many years (although both of us born in UK) so hoping it should be plain sailing once they start looking into it.

FrozenTundra
Newly Registered
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by FrozenTundra » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:44 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 pm
Looks like you have it all covered. Make sure you put the application # on outside of delivery package when you send it. Not needed but I had all of my documents notarized . It was free at my bank so I figured that'd make all those signatures look more official. I added a short statement for ID's --i.e -I, "so and so", hereby attest that this is a true copy of , "whomever it is". Followed by signature/date. Best of luck.
Many thanks for the info, I completely missed the requirement to have the application number on the front of the delivery package and would not have done that requirement if not for your post. So thank you again!

There were some unexpected delays acquiring all the documents, but now I have the fully completed FBR application package sealed and ready for delivery. However, the FBR website explicitly states not to send "supporting documentation" since Ireland is in level 5 lockdown. Reading a few news sites, it appears that the lockdown is until April. My son is 10 weeks old so we are in no rush.

Should I go ahead and mail my son's FBR application or should I wait to mail until the lockdown is over?

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:09 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:44 pm
Should I go ahead and mail my son's FBR application or should I wait to mail until the lockdown is over?
I'd say wait until Level 5 is lifted to send it. It'll be a long time until completion so a few weeks won't matter.
I originally paid extra for my shipping to get it there faster (almost two years ago). Now I see I should have just sent it on a slow boat cheaply with a tracking number haha

jgclancy

Mandino55
Newly Registered
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 pm
Canada

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mandino55 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 pm

Does anyone know when Irelands current lock down is scheduled to be lifted?

Fbrlad
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:57 pm
Aruba

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Fbrlad » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:51 am

Nobody knows - but the govt hinted that it wont be before May.

DannyKMCR
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by DannyKMCR » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi all

I've been keeping tabs on this forum for a while but not posted before. Thanks for sharing your advice and insights.

I submitted my application in September 2020 then followed that up shortly after to let the FBRS know that I was an expectant parent.

There were a couple of requests for additional docs, and I submitted the last batch on 24th December just as they stopped processing documents.

Anyway I've had an email through today confirming that my application was successful and my certificate is on its way.

The site is still saying applications aren't being processed but there's obviously a skeleton staff behind the scenes processing expectant parent applications.

There can't be that many of us, so hopefully this means things will get underway for the rest of the applications in the near future.

Apologies for queue jumping to those of you who've been waiting ages - but I'm just relieved that I'll be able to pass citizenship to my daughter when she arrives in May.

Cheers and best of luck

D

AntrimGrandchild
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Hello all! Hope you’ve been keeping well... so I received an email today saying my application was successful and my certificate was printed and posted. I initially was notified in October 2020 that my application was successful and then did not receive a certificate due to their lockdown. I emailed again when they opened back up, they confirmed by application was successful, and then the FBR quickly shut down again. Hoping the third time is the charm! I will update once the certificate is actually received.

Additionally, does anyone know if the Irish consulate in NYC is allowing you to apply for passports online, similar to the SF consulate? Thanks!

Iolanthe73
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Iolanthe73 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:08 pm

Same boat here, only my son’s cutoff is far more imminent - I sent paperwork off 3rd March 2021 and he will turn 18 in May 2021. I paid the child fee as he was a minor when I signed and sent the forms, and I’m expecting it to be processed as such, not his fault it won’t be opened for a year or so. Will post back here if I hear anything to contrary!
denzimart wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:19 am
Anyone any thoughts on what will happen to an application on behalf of a child who will be adult by the time it is processed?

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 pm
Does anyone know when Irelands current lock down is scheduled to be lifted?
As of now it is April 5th for Level 5 but it will probably be extended until May.

jgclancy

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:35 pm

AntrimGrandchild wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:29 pm
Hello all! Hope you’ve been keeping well... so I received an email today saying my application was successful and my certificate was printed and posted. I initially was notified in October 2020 that my application was successful and then did not receive a certificate due to their lockdown. I emailed again when they opened back up, they confirmed by application was successful, and then the FBR quickly shut down again. Hoping the third time is the charm! I will update once the certificate is actually received.

Additionally, does anyone know if the Irish consulate in NYC is allowing you to apply for passports online, similar to the SF consulate? Thanks!
Good to see anyone get anything. No change for NYC consulate last I checked. I think I read that in April for no more paper filing in NYC for first timers.

jgclancy

dublin3
- thin ice -
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 am
Location: ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by dublin3 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:06 pm

Glad to see that FBR section have started processing again. I received an email on 16th december for address confirmation. Hopefully I will get some news soon

jgclancy
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 pm

dublin3 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Glad to see that FBR section have started processing again. I received an email on 16th december for address confirmation. Hopefully I will get some news soon
I'll be racing you. I received same email on Dec 14th......

jgclancy

dublin3
- thin ice -
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 am
Location: ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by dublin3 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:09 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 pm
dublin3 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Glad to see that FBR section have started processing again. I received an email on 16th december for address confirmation. Hopefully I will get some news soon
I'll be racing you. I received same email on Dec 14th......

jgclancy
😊😊

I will wait for your update. Hopefully we will get an update soon.

AntrimGrandchild
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:23 pm

dublin3 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:09 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 pm
dublin3 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:06 pm
Glad to see that FBR section have started processing again. I received an email on 16th december for address confirmation. Hopefully I will get some news soon
I'll be racing you. I received same email on Dec 14th......

jgclancy
😊😊

I will wait for your update. Hopefully we will get an update soon.
Best of luck to you and JGClancy!

taco_lover
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:44 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by taco_lover » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:48 am

Hello everyone. Can't believe I only just found this forum. I have a couple of very basic queries I hope someone can help me with.

My paternal grandfather was Irish, born in Dublin. My dad, his son, was born in England. Both are now dead. I don't think my dad was registered, but I think I still qualify.

Do I need to send birth and death certificates for both of them, or just birth? I've read that page many times and it's not clear to me.

And... I can apply now and post the documents when the office opens?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just read it again and it makes perfect sense this time. Maybe I just needed to type it out. :oops:

Corkythecat
Newly Registered
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Corkythecat » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:31 am

You need Birth and Marriage certificates for each generation and death certificates for your father/grandfather.
Ensure you have original long-form Birth certifcates for England as these include the parents details. (The short form only has the child's details.)

Good luck - it's good to see posts of some FBR activity happening - so here's hoping.

Regards

Celtic67
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:48 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Celtic67 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am

Hi, does anyone know the current submission timestamp that the FBR office where processing on December 26 2020 before they paused. I submitted all my documents in october 2019 and wondering whre i am as the 18 month timeline is almost upon us...

thanks :?:

DMJ
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by DMJ » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi - I submitted mine in May 2019, I got the address verification email on the 7th December, just waiting on the confirmation of certificate now.

Corkythecat
Newly Registered
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Corkythecat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Celtic67 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am
Hi, does anyone know the current submission timestamp that the FBR office where processing on December 26 2020 before they paused. I submitted all my documents in october 2019 and wondering whre i am as the 18 month timeline is almost upon us...

thanks :?:
Before the last lockdown they seemed to be processing numerous July 2019 and before, some August 2019 and 1-2 September 2019 I think. There were quite a few being overtaken in the timeline some by months.
So there didn't seem to be an exact date order.

I applied end of August 2019 and am still waiting - I have 2 siblings who applied in July 2019 and both have been granted FBR.

So I am 19 months since application and counting.

obrienlj
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:00 pm
Dominican Republic

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by obrienlj » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:35 pm

For anyone that has had a photo denied, when you resubmit a new one does it need to be witnessed again? I'm sending in my passport photo and it has a bit of a shadow behind my head, wondering if it's a hassle to resubmit if it's denied?

obrienlj
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:00 pm
Dominican Republic

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by obrienlj » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:35 pm

For anyone that has had a photo denied, when you resubmit a new one does it need to be witnessed again? I'm sending in my passport photo and it has a bit of a shadow behind my head, wondering if it's a hassle to resubmit if it's denied?

Post Reply
cron