ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BrexitEscapee » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 am
:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you sent off your FBR application 16 days ago and you're hoping to take up a job offer you've already been given? Even if you were a pregnant woman, and even if Covid/Brexit had never happened, you'd still never have been able to make that one work. After Brexit the processing time for FBR went up to between 12 and 18 month and because of Covid, it currently appears to be around 2 years. However, before all of that, you've always had to expect around 6 months of waiting, and that was never guaranteed - i.e. if you take up job-offers or university places etc. before you've got Irish citizenship, then you're doing it at your own risk.

Good luck with the petition and writing to the Queen etc.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:20 am

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 am
:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you sent off your FBR application 16 days ago and you're hoping to take up a job offer you've already been given? Even if you were a pregnant woman, and even if Covid/Brexit had never happened, you'd still never have been able to make that one work. After Brexit the processing time for FBR went up to between 12 and 18 month and because of Covid, it currently appears to be around 2 years. However, before all of that, you've always had to expect around 6 months of waiting, and that was never guaranteed - i.e. if you take up job-offers or university places etc. before you've got Irish citizenship, then you're doing it at your own risk.

Good luck with the petition and writing to the Queen etc.
Yes, I see your point and I do realise that I am unlikely to expedite anything much - and probably not at all. I do not, however, see why something as important as FBR has essentially been put on ice, thereby inevitably prolonging for so many the purgatorial hell of waiting, given the inevitable backlogs that will have built up whenever they decide to return. It seems that they currently have a skeleton staff in Balbriggan prioritising the needs of expectant parents and nobody else. This is extremely unfair and inconsiderate. There is more to life than having sexual intercourse! The process should be duly reviewed and afforded the urgency it deserves. How government departments can do virtually nothing for extended periods is frankly shocking. We have GOT to return to normal. I am sick of this pandemic and those using it as a pretext to be slack.

Fogg
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Fogg » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:22 am

It's ridiculous to say that the delay is down to 'laziness'. It's not like they've just been having a nap all this time.

There's been a pandemic on, and FBR has not been the priority. That political issues in countries outside of Ireland have resulted in a huge upsurge of demand for this service does not mean that workers should be put at risk. Now that things are getting back to normal, the service has resumed and will gradually get back to full capacity.

Mr_Knight
Newly Registered
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:55 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:32 am

Flatcap_Julius
Some of you comments sound very uppity and quite full of yourself. The process is indeed frustrating but we are owed nothing we are just lucky. So many people born in Ireland & so many people with the same names or different spellings in different documents millions and millions of people. Its complex.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:32 am
Flatcap_Julius
Some of you comments sound very uppity and quite full of yourself. The process is indeed frustrating but we are owed nothing we are just lucky. So many people born in Ireland & so many people with the same names or different spellings in different documents millions and millions of people. Its complex.
I don't know about uppity and full of myself. You do not know me, however you are quite entitled to your opinion - which does not define me any more than my perceptions of you through your scant postings in an online forum define you.

I value the benefits of being a European citizen and, like many, miss this greatly. I would take issue with your statement that "we are owed nothing". The Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 sets out quite clearly who is entitled to claim. It is not some act of charity on behalf of the Irish Government and even in the current pandemic situation there is no need for them to deprioritise FBR processing to the extent that they have. I find it curious that the only consideration being made is to expectant parents. It would seem that they are rewarding people for merely having had sexual intercourse and to hell with everybody else! That FBR processing should take 2 years is disgraceful in itself. Goodness knows how long it's going to take if they persist with their shenanigans! 6 months to a year should be the maximum time! It's not just the delays, however, it's the abject contempt in which they hold people. No tangible contact, no real updates. It is perhaps this that is the worst part.
Rather than sit languishing for years I have taken to raise a petition on change dot org calling on the Taoiseach to please urgently review and overhaul the Foreign Birth Registration process. I have also written to HM The Queen - not that I expect she will do terribly much. I do not expect people to be subjected to the purgatorial hell of waiting indefinitely with no update when there is nothing to preclude people from going into the office and doing their job - as I have had to do throughout this pandemic.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:22 am
It's ridiculous to say that the delay is down to 'laziness'. It's not like they've just been having a nap all this time.

There's been a pandemic on, and FBR has not been the priority. That political issues in countries outside of Ireland have resulted in a huge upsurge of demand for this service does not mean that workers should be put at risk. Now that things are getting back to normal, the service has resumed and will gradually get back to full capacity.
There is no reason for there to have been such delays. I have attended my office every working day right throughout the pandemic. I provide an important service and step up to my responsibilities. So should the Irish Government. I agree that it's not Ireland's fault that Brexit happened, however the delays in FBR processing will only have compounded the delays, and by extension, the suffering of the applicants, not to mention the workload for the FBR Processing Team when they eventually resume. I maintain that Irish citizenship, though a privilege, is also an entitlement to those entitled to claim as set out in the 1956 Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act.

Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!

Fogg
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Fogg » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!
I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!
I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.
Well, perhaps if the Irish citizenship of their offspring really were such an important consideration they maybe ought to have postponed their sexual intercourse, or at the very least, used reliable contraception. This pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year! They chose when to have sexual intercourse, and therefore when their child would be born. Many people did not choose Brexit!

Fogg
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Fogg » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Unlike job applications, pregnancies are not always planned.

I emphasise with anyone who has lost opportunities due to the delay in FBR processing. However this thread is about sharing knowledge/advice on how to successfully apply - it’s not helpful to use it to publicly lash out, lambast the Irish government, and gnash your teeth about people whose applications have priority over your own.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BrexitEscapee » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:20 am
How government departments can do virtually nothing for extended periods is frankly shocking. We have GOT to return to normal. I am sick of this pandemic and those using it as a pretext to be slack.
According to a post on this thread back at the beginning of the pandemic, the DFA website had a message stating that their staff were being redeployed to other roles associated with responding to the pandemic:
ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277 ... l#p1897308

(That message has now gone - presumably because they're now back to their normal roles.) There are plenty of news articles online about this, explaining that they had been redeployed doing work such as contact tracing and processing Covid-related benefits payments, e.g: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new ... 13972.html

It's understandable to be frustrated about waiting longer than expected for something, but the reality is that the Irish public will have FBR as being very low down on their priority list when compared with responding to the pandemic and the economic fall-out it's caused. Over the past few years, there have been lots of very angry people on here, threatening legal action etc. against DFA, because of their frustration with the delays caused by Brexit and then Covid. However, the reality is that the only option they ever had was to wait in line, because the Irish public just won't be demanding their Government divert resources to handling FBR. So therefore your best personal strategy is to try and accept the fact that you're now in a queue of potentially 2 years, rather than drive yourself mad complaining about something you just can't change.

Lambymchammy
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Lambymchammy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm
Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!
I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.
Well, perhaps if the Irish citizenship of their offspring really were such an important consideration they maybe ought to have postponed their sexual intercourse, or at the very least, used reliable contraception. This pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year! They chose when to have sexual intercourse, and therefore when their child would be born. Many people did not choose Brexit!
That’s one way to look at it I guess. This notion of postponing intercourse based on the Irish FBR is quite frankly ridiculous and childish. I agree that the system needs to be updated but if I agree with anything they do it’s the fast tracking of expectant mother’s applications. If you were so desperate for your Irish citizenship (and we’ve all known about Brexit for a while now), why didn’t you apply sooner? It’s a little entitled to come here complaining that your application won’t be processed at your convenience when a lot of us have been waiting for two years. I wish you luck and know it’s a sh*tty, lengthy process, and I know you have a job that you need your citizenship for, but you’re in the same boat with the rest of us. Hopefully once things get back to normal there can be a change to the system but acting entitled and blaming people for having “intercourse” isn’t going to get your application processed any faster.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:28 pm

Lambymchammy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm
Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!
I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.
Well, perhaps if the Irish citizenship of their offspring really were such an important consideration they maybe ought to have postponed their sexual intercourse, or at the very least, used reliable contraception. This pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year! They chose when to have sexual intercourse, and therefore when their child would be born. Many people did not choose Brexit!
That’s one way to look at it I guess. This notion of postponing intercourse based on the Irish FBR is quite frankly ridiculous and childish. I agree that the system needs to be updated but if I agree with anything they do it’s the fast tracking of expectant mother’s applications. If you were so desperate for your Irish citizenship (and we’ve all known about Brexit for a while now), why didn’t you apply sooner? It’s a little entitled to come here complaining that your application won’t be processed at your convenience when a lot of us have been waiting for two years. I wish you luck and know it’s a sh*tty, lengthy process, and I know you have a job that you need your citizenship for, but you’re in the same boat with the rest of us. Hopefully once things get back to normal there can be a change to the system but acting entitled and blaming people for having “intercourse” isn’t going to get your application processed any faster.
I understand that with a pandemic and with increased demand that there will be delays. What I don't understand so much is why there is virtually zero update available. It would be nice if there were some sort of online tracker that would update - or at least some point of contact to check things. Yes I really do wish I had applied sooner, however I faced my own personal challenges over recent years, being ill and then made redundant and relocating for work and buying my flat. I managed somehow to get a 95% mortgage on a studio flat in the middle of a pandemic - however this took some doing and a lot of wrangling, alongside dealing with the other issues outlined. My family history was somewhat shrouded in secrecy and, having lost my family, I had to piece together the bits that I could when the time was right for me, and then I eventually got some help from a professional genealogist. I think I will have to face that it's not quite time to move on yet - but it's coming. With luck, the FBR process will be given due consideration after having been deprioritised for so long. I appreciate that any expectant parent will want to pass on the citizenship rights to their child, however if I am not mistaken there is nothing to prevent the child from applying for citizenship through descent in due course. With this in mind I find it discriminatory and unfair that expectant parents are being prioritised when other people do not even get so much as an acknowledgement. This is why I have registered my petition on change dot org to call on An Taoiseach to review things.

jamiepompey
Junior Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jamiepompey » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:28 pm
Lambymchammy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm
Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!
I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.
Well, perhaps if the Irish citizenship of their offspring really were such an important consideration they maybe ought to have postponed their sexual intercourse, or at the very least, used reliable contraception. This pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year! They chose when to have sexual intercourse, and therefore when their child would be born. Many people did not choose Brexit!
That’s one way to look at it I guess. This notion of postponing intercourse based on the Irish FBR is quite frankly ridiculous and childish. I agree that the system needs to be updated but if I agree with anything they do it’s the fast tracking of expectant mother’s applications. If you were so desperate for your Irish citizenship (and we’ve all known about Brexit for a while now), why didn’t you apply sooner? It’s a little entitled to come here complaining that your application won’t be processed at your convenience when a lot of us have been waiting for two years. I wish you luck and know it’s a sh*tty, lengthy process, and I know you have a job that you need your citizenship for, but you’re in the same boat with the rest of us. Hopefully once things get back to normal there can be a change to the system but acting entitled and blaming people for having “intercourse” isn’t going to get your application processed any faster.
I understand that with a pandemic and with increased demand that there will be delays. What I don't understand so much is why there is virtually zero update available. It would be nice if there were some sort of online tracker that would update - or at least some point of contact to check things. Yes I really do wish I had applied sooner, however I faced my own personal challenges over recent years, being ill and then made redundant and relocating for work and buying my flat. I managed somehow to get a 95% mortgage on a studio flat in the middle of a pandemic - however this took some doing and a lot of wrangling, alongside dealing with the other issues outlined. My family history was somewhat shrouded in secrecy and, having lost my family, I had to piece together the bits that I could when the time was right for me, and then I eventually got some help from a professional genealogist. I think I will have to face that it's not quite time to move on yet - but it's coming. With luck, the FBR process will be given due consideration after having been deprioritised for so long. I appreciate that any expectant parent will want to pass on the citizenship rights to their child, however if I am not mistaken there is nothing to prevent the child from applying for citizenship through descent in due course. With this in mind I find it discriminatory and unfair that expectant parents are being prioritised when other people do not even get so much as an acknowledgement. This is why I have registered my petition on change dot org to call on An Taoiseach to review things.
The Irish government redeployed all of the FBR staff to other government departments to deal with the pandemic. Things such as the social security payments and the general dealing with an unprecedented situation and the need for social distancing at work. Ireland's priority must absolutely be their existing citizens. It's unfortunate that it has coincided with your application but this is the way of things.

Also, my citizenship was fast tracked due to pregnancy last year and if it had not been then my daughter would not be entitled to apply for citizenship. Was our pregnancy planned? No, but that's none of your business and your opinions on my sex life and other peoples sex lives are not relevant. The laws, policies and rules are as they are.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:12 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:28 pm
Lambymchammy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm
Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Yes I have complained about the delays, and yes I have tried to do something about it. The attitude of the Irish Government over FBA has been contemptuous beyond belief. They are now apparently only giving consideration to those having had sexual intercourse. This is both unfair and strange - for a supposedly progressive country that claims to uphold the fundamental values of human rights. I want my citizenship SORTED - and everybody else's too, without undue let or hindrance!
I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.
Well, perhaps if the Irish citizenship of their offspring really were such an important consideration they maybe ought to have postponed their sexual intercourse, or at the very least, used reliable contraception. This pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year! They chose when to have sexual intercourse, and therefore when their child would be born. Many people did not choose Brexit!
That’s one way to look at it I guess. This notion of postponing intercourse based on the Irish FBR is quite frankly ridiculous and childish. I agree that the system needs to be updated but if I agree with anything they do it’s the fast tracking of expectant mother’s applications. If you were so desperate for your Irish citizenship (and we’ve all known about Brexit for a while now), why didn’t you apply sooner? It’s a little entitled to come here complaining that your application won’t be processed at your convenience when a lot of us have been waiting for two years. I wish you luck and know it’s a sh*tty, lengthy process, and I know you have a job that you need your citizenship for, but you’re in the same boat with the rest of us. Hopefully once things get back to normal there can be a change to the system but acting entitled and blaming people for having “intercourse” isn’t going to get your application processed any faster.
I understand that with a pandemic and with increased demand that there will be delays. What I don't understand so much is why there is virtually zero update available. It would be nice if there were some sort of online tracker that would update - or at least some point of contact to check things. Yes I really do wish I had applied sooner, however I faced my own personal challenges over recent years, being ill and then made redundant and relocating for work and buying my flat. I managed somehow to get a 95% mortgage on a studio flat in the middle of a pandemic - however this took some doing and a lot of wrangling, alongside dealing with the other issues outlined. My family history was somewhat shrouded in secrecy and, having lost my family, I had to piece together the bits that I could when the time was right for me, and then I eventually got some help from a professional genealogist. I think I will have to face that it's not quite time to move on yet - but it's coming. With luck, the FBR process will be given due consideration after having been deprioritised for so long. I appreciate that any expectant parent will want to pass on the citizenship rights to their child, however if I am not mistaken there is nothing to prevent the child from applying for citizenship through descent in due course. With this in mind I find it discriminatory and unfair that expectant parents are being prioritised when other people do not even get so much as an acknowledgement. This is why I have registered my petition on change dot org to call on An Taoiseach to review things.
The Irish government redeployed all of the FBR staff to other government departments to deal with the pandemic. Things such as the social security payments and the general dealing with an unprecedented situation and the need for social distancing at work. Ireland's priority must absolutely be their existing citizens. It's unfortunate that it has coincided with your application but this is the way of things.

Also, my citizenship was fast tracked due to pregnancy last year and if it had not been then my daughter would not be entitled to apply for citizenship. Was our pregnancy planned? No, but that's none of your business and your opinions on my sex life and other peoples sex lives are not relevant. The laws, policies and rules are as they are.
The FBR process needs to be reviewed. If there were better communication it would take the stress out of things. I do not believe it is right to prioritise only one set of circumstances, particularly when those children can always apply for citizenship by descent, as the Act allows. I am glad you got your citizenship, I would just like to see a more communicative and transparent process that accommodates different needs.

jamiepompey
Junior Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jamiepompey » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:12 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:28 pm
Lambymchammy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm
Fogg wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm


I think you have misunderstood the reason that applications are fast-tracked due to pregnancy. It's not a reward for having had sex, it's because if the prospective parent is not granted citizenship before their baby is born, that baby loses their entitlement to Irish citizenship forever.
Well, perhaps if the Irish citizenship of their offspring really were such an important consideration they maybe ought to have postponed their sexual intercourse, or at the very least, used reliable contraception. This pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year! They chose when to have sexual intercourse, and therefore when their child would be born. Many people did not choose Brexit!
That’s one way to look at it I guess. This notion of postponing intercourse based on the Irish FBR is quite frankly ridiculous and childish. I agree that the system needs to be updated but if I agree with anything they do it’s the fast tracking of expectant mother’s applications. If you were so desperate for your Irish citizenship (and we’ve all known about Brexit for a while now), why didn’t you apply sooner? It’s a little entitled to come here complaining that your application won’t be processed at your convenience when a lot of us have been waiting for two years. I wish you luck and know it’s a sh*tty, lengthy process, and I know you have a job that you need your citizenship for, but you’re in the same boat with the rest of us. Hopefully once things get back to normal there can be a change to the system but acting entitled and blaming people for having “intercourse” isn’t going to get your application processed any faster.
I understand that with a pandemic and with increased demand that there will be delays. What I don't understand so much is why there is virtually zero update available. It would be nice if there were some sort of online tracker that would update - or at least some point of contact to check things. Yes I really do wish I had applied sooner, however I faced my own personal challenges over recent years, being ill and then made redundant and relocating for work and buying my flat. I managed somehow to get a 95% mortgage on a studio flat in the middle of a pandemic - however this took some doing and a lot of wrangling, alongside dealing with the other issues outlined. My family history was somewhat shrouded in secrecy and, having lost my family, I had to piece together the bits that I could when the time was right for me, and then I eventually got some help from a professional genealogist. I think I will have to face that it's not quite time to move on yet - but it's coming. With luck, the FBR process will be given due consideration after having been deprioritised for so long. I appreciate that any expectant parent will want to pass on the citizenship rights to their child, however if I am not mistaken there is nothing to prevent the child from applying for citizenship through descent in due course. With this in mind I find it discriminatory and unfair that expectant parents are being prioritised when other people do not even get so much as an acknowledgement. This is why I have registered my petition on change dot org to call on An Taoiseach to review things.
The Irish government redeployed all of the FBR staff to other government departments to deal with the pandemic. Things such as the social security payments and the general dealing with an unprecedented situation and the need for social distancing at work. Ireland's priority must absolutely be their existing citizens. It's unfortunate that it has coincided with your application but this is the way of things.

Also, my citizenship was fast tracked due to pregnancy last year and if it had not been then my daughter would not be entitled to apply for citizenship. Was our pregnancy planned? No, but that's none of your business and your opinions on my sex life and other peoples sex lives are not relevant. The laws, policies and rules are as they are.
The FBR process needs to be reviewed. If there were better communication it would take the stress out of things. I do not believe it is right to prioritise only one set of circumstances, particularly when those children can always apply for citizenship by descent, as the Act allows. I am glad you got your citizenship, I would just like to see a more communicative and transparent process that accommodates different needs.
You're not understanding how it works. If I wasn't put onto the FBR before my daughter was born then she would not be entitled to claim citizenship by descent as the link would be broken.

CynicalOptimist
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:20 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by CynicalOptimist » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 pm

Julius, the act states that you must have a parent or grandparent born on the island of Ireland to be added to the FBR. If someone is waiting for their application to be processed because their grandparent was born on the island and then gets pregnant- that child would not be eligible unless the pregnant parent is added before their birth. The family member in question would be that child’s great-grandparent, which is why it is critical for the pregnant applicant to be given priority. The child would have no right to apply otherwise.

And stating that you should be given priority because you didn’t support Brexit is utter madness. Many people applying aren’t British at all- or even European. We are all just in line. The late, great Tom Petty said it best, “The waiting is the hardest part.” It sucks. I get it. We have all done all that we can do and just need to wait for our tickets to be punched in due time. Whining will not help anyone. This thread can be a great tool in order to get an idea of where things are in the line and estimate where your application may fall.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:57 pm

CynicalOptimist wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 pm
Julius, the act states that you must have a parent or grandparent born on the island of Ireland to be added to the FBR. If someone is waiting for their application to be processed because their grandparent was born on the island and then gets pregnant- that child would not be eligible unless the pregnant parent is added before their birth. The family member in question would be that child’s great-grandparent, which is why it is critical for the pregnant applicant to be given priority. The child would have no right to apply otherwise.

And stating that you should be given priority because you didn’t support Brexit is utter madness. Many people applying aren’t British at all- or even European. We are all just in line. The late, great Tom Petty said it best, “The waiting is the hardest part.” It sucks. I get it. We have all done all that we can do and just need to wait for our tickets to be punched in due time. Whining will not help anyone. This thread can be a great tool in order to get an idea of where things are in the line and estimate where your application may fall.
Ah, yes, I see. Point taken! I can appreciate why it's important under those circumstances now. I would like to think I am not whining - although I probably am a bit. I am not a fan of government departments or bureaucracy. When the communication is clear I am a lot better with it. I have tried to take reasonable actions to raise awareness. There is some bloke called "xxxxx" in Balbriggan 'cos he's the one who signed for my letter!

Mr_Knight
Newly Registered
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:55 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 pm
I don't know about uppity and full of myself. You do not know me, however you are quite entitled to your opinion - which does not define me any more than my perceptions of you through your scant postings in an online forum define you.

I have also written to HM The Queen -
I have never known anyone to write a letter to the Queen because they didnt get what they wanted. It just seems a bit crazy considering she is not the Queen of Ireland. Very uppity indeed.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:19 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 pm
I don't know about uppity and full of myself. You do not know me, however you are quite entitled to your opinion - which does not define me any more than my perceptions of you through your scant postings in an online forum define you.

I have also written to HM The Queen -
I have never known anyone to write a letter to the Queen because they didnt get what they wanted. It just seems a bit crazy considering she is not the Queen of Ireland. Very uppity indeed.
I am not writing to her merely because I didn't get what I wanted. I have already explained my reasoning and it is further explained in my petition.

MrIrrelevant
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MrIrrelevant » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:42 pm

I can confirm someone is in the FBR and processing stuff- got the good news today.

Application submitted online: 7th October 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 23rd October 2019
Clarification Request Email: 16/06/21
Clarification Sent: 17/06/21
Confirmation of address email: 21/06/21
Congrats email: 22/06/21
Date added to FBR: Pending
FBR certificate received: Pending

derekkn
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:22 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by derekkn » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:01 pm

This is heartening. I'm in the late November cohort and have so far heard nothing. It might still be a few months for me but this is good to see anyway.

derekkn
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:22 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by derekkn » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:02 pm

MrIrrelevant wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:42 pm
I can confirm someone is in the FBR and processing stuff- got the good news today.

Application submitted online: 7th October 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 23rd October 2019
Clarification Request Email: 16/06/21
Clarification Sent: 17/06/21
Confirmation of address email: 21/06/21
Congrats email: 22/06/21
Date added to FBR: Pending
FBR certificate received: Pending
Can I ask what the clarification was? I'm hoping I don't need to send any.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 pm

MrIrrelevant wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:42 pm
I can confirm someone is in the FBR and processing stuff- got the good news today.

Application submitted online: 7th October 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 23rd October 2019
Clarification Request Email: 16/06/21
Clarification Sent: 17/06/21
Confirmation of address email: 21/06/21
Congrats email: 22/06/21
Date added to FBR: Pending
FBR certificate received: Pending
Congratulations! :D Sounds like it's taken about 18 months to agree it. All that remains is the certificate. It is interesting that people are saying they have received an email confirming receipt of documents. I haven't, and it says on their website that they do not send any confirmation of receipt, hence they must have changed their policy on this. This is my point, it's the communication from them that is so poor - and virtually nonexistent. This HAS to change and that is why I raised a petition on change dot org calling on the Taoiseach to please urgently review and overhaul the Foreign Birth Registration process.

Flatcap_Julius
Junior Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:41 pm

To those querying my motivations, here is what I wrote on my petition:-

Dear Taoiseach and  Ireland Minister for Foreign Affairs

Never before has Europe been so fractured and divided. The global pandemic has seen millions around the globe put their lives on hold. The folly of Brexit has compounded the feelings of hopelessness and despair felt by many Brits who have been robbed of their European status, largely at the whim of a narrow majority of ignorant, misguided and narrow-minded people. Many a person, like me, has seen their living, beating European heart ripped out, and yet now it seems that the Irish Government is heartless too, for it has left many hundreds of thousands of people who are applying for Irish citizenship by descent, languishing in a post-Brexit purgatorial hell, with nothing likely to become of their application for years, and no way of getting any tangible update. Has the Irish Government's European heart been ripped out too? Or is it just its mind? As a modern, progressive European nation, Ireland should be looking to ensure that we, the global Irish Diaspora, are given the opportunity to reconnect with our Irish heritage and European connections without undue let or hindrance and with improved communication. It is shocking that the Foreign Births Registration process, a tedious and tortuous process (2-year time  frame) at the best of times, has now become "torturous" to those who have employment and study prospects in Ireland and other EU countries. It seems that only expectant parents are currently being given any consideration for the expedition of their FBR / passport applications. Many people, myself included, have had to go into the office every day throughout the pandemic. Why should the DFA's FBR Team be any different? Why take an already painfully slow process and make it worse by putting it almost totally on ice? Why is the only line of contact via a webchat team that does not even deal with  the FBR process and are of no help at all? We, the signatories of this petition call upon you, an Taioseach, and your ministers, we beseech and implore you to review the process to make consideration for other pressing circumstances, and to prioritise less complex cases where the genealogical reports are readily available and just need to be cross-checked. If Ireland upholds European values, including the human rights considerations that are so fundamental to EU ideology, it must acknowledge and address the suffering of the many applicants who currently feel bereft of hope - unless, that is, they happen to have had sexual intercourse and be expecting a child! There is more to life than that!  To only afford consideration to one set of circumstances is both discriminatory and unfair. The total lack of communication is appalling. Please review the process, an Taoiseach. We are not saying that we are Irish - we are of Irish descent and we are damn proud of it! We are European and we are proud of it! We will see some EU beacon of light where there is darkness, and with your help, an Taoiseach, we can! Thank you for reading. Regards, Flatcap Julius.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BrexitEscapee » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 pm
I haven't, and it says on their website that they do not send any confirmation of receipt, hence they must have changed their policy on this.
They've definitely made a few changes to the process over the past couple of years. When I got my certificate through, it just appeared in my letterbox without any prior confirmation that it was coming or even that my application had been successful. Shortly after that, they changed the process so that they now email you and ask you for confirmation of your postal address before sending the certificate out. That would seem to be a sensible improvement (so that you know it's coming and certificates aren't getting posted out to your old address if you've recently moved.) The introduction of email confirmation from DFA of receipt of documents would also appear to be a sensible improvement as it will put the applicants' minds at rest and reduce the number of phone calls they have to deal with. I expect they'll update their website to reflect this change before too long, but as these administrative changes are actually worthwhile improvements in how they communicate, I doubt many people are going to criticise DFA for this. Although the website guidance might be out of date, the current advice is to send documents via recorded delivery in order that applicants have confirmation that they've arrived - this would still seem to be good advice, regardless of whether they're now also sending out confirmation emails.

One thing that I could imagine being frustrated by is the inability to easily contact DFA about FBR, but that's been a very common problem with many public services over the past year. Many public services have moved to webchat to provide support, and in some cases staff have been redeployed, leaving a poor or non-existent level of service. However, that's a pandemic for you: it's a lose-lose situation where people requiring all sorts of much more critical services than FBR (medical treatment, for example) find they're not being provided and ending up stuck on ever-growing waiting lists.

Post Reply
cron