ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DKCalifornia
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by DKCalifornia » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:31 am

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:36 am
Do not give up, DK. There is every chance that you are super close to hearing some good news. The issue is that you don't know it yet! It's that Wall of Silence that is the real killer and this must be difficult bear, having gone past the 2 year mark. One thing to bear in mind is that FBR processing is purportedly a complex process that even before COVID an application typically took 12-18 months to process. When COVID is taken into consideration, the delay remains plausible, although it is strange that others have had news despite having submitted their applications later - but then from the postings on this forum it is fairly plain to see that the DFA's "strict date order" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Some pieces of information on the DFA website are, by their own admission, somewhat incongruous with the actual state of affairs. With this in mind I would advise a strategic approach that goes something like this:

1) Set a "cut-off date" in your calendar. Something around 10th November would probably be about right, as by then your application will be seriously overdue and out of line with any reasonable expectation (although what is or is not reasonable is largely subject to interpretation), even taking COVID into consideration. The probability is that you will hear some good news before this date, however if you don't...

2) Contact the DFA via live chat or telephone and ask them for an update. Encapsulate the timescale discrepancy in your opening gambit, making it part of the very first thing you tell them, so that they can see that you have a valid point and are not just being hysterical like I was being at one point. Make sure to keep recordings / transcripts of all communications. See what they say. If they say they will look into it, get them to state a specific date or time frame by which you will have an update. If they don't get back to you within the stated time this will strengthen your case for if and when you have do the further steps...

3) Once all the initial general lines of communication have been exhausted I would suggest making a Freedom of Information request requiring them to state what documents they hold on your specific application and what stage your application is at.

4) You can raise a formal complaint. I believe this needs to be done in writing via a letter to Ireland, rather than email.

5) Ultimately you could write to Mr Michael D. Higgins, the President of Ireland. He officially resides in Ireland's version of the White House which is located in Phoenix Park, Dublin. Mr HIggins is an older gentleman - I believe around 80 years of age, and although his role is largely to act as a figurehead in a ceremonial capacity, he does technically have a lot of authority, however you would have to have been treated extremely unfairly by the DFA to warrant a letter to him. Provided you are considered, clear, correct, complete, concise and courteous in your communications with the DFA there is no reason for anything to go wrong. Remember, if it took up to 18 months before COVID it could very well take up to 27 - 30 months in total. With this in mind is is vital to proceed cautiously and gently through the process you decide on. The main purpose of it really is to give you something to do to lessen the sense of despair. Above all what you must NOT do is withdraw your application. The DFA could accede to any such request as it would be an easy way for them to knock one application out of the pile. Don't do it when you are so close! The DFA are claiming they have plans to ramp up capacity to pre-COVID levels by the end of this year. The guy I spoke to in Dublin also mentioned something about training sessions which I would guess is something to do with this. Above all hang on in there and keep your can of Guinness handy!

All the best to you!

Regards,

Flatcap
Dear Flatcap,
I am so grateful for your very kind reply and the encouragement within:=)
I was feeling really hopeful when a few others in the same boat got approved but then…nothing.
My next step is to chat/call DFA as soon as they reopen, maybe end of this month. I’ve already tried Passport chat but they were totally unhelpful.
It is the Wall of Silence that makes the waiting so frustrating- you’re absolutely right about that!
Depending on the information we get from the chat we will determine our next move.

It is possible that our FBR is just not going to happen. However,
I will keep your reply and use your suggestions as needed as they are all good ones.
Above all, I am thankful for people like you who reach out a helping hand. The world needs many more Flatcaps-)
The Guinness is getting old…hopefully it doesn’t go completely off by the time we resolve this-lol.
All the best to you,
DK

Jojo1904
Newly Registered

Post by Jojo1904 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:00 am

Muscat wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:59 pm
Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:00 pm
Oh the paperwork is torturous Muscat, I’m imagining that France is as bureaucratic as Italy? My timeline for the carta di Soggiorno hasn’t been too bad tbh. You were lucky enough to get out before the Brexit deadline whereas after being stuck in Capri for 10 months last year when Covid closed down all travel, I travelled back to Scotland in the November with the intention to come back in December (we had Housesitters looking after our home and had to get back) and we then got stuck in Scotland when it went into another lockdown. We then couldn’t travel back to Italy until June of this year so I started the residency process then. I tried to get residency last year and was erroneously told by the local records office here that I couldn’t be resident as we weren’t married and I wasn’t employed. That meant I wasn’t covered under the Withdrawal Agreement as I wasn’t legally resident before end December. I’ve already got my residency here now in the Comune di Capri which took just under 2 months to do but the hardest part was the Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno which I’ve had two appointments for and just waiting on the card now. They’ve already done my fingerprints at the original interview at the Questura (police) headquarters though, have you done all your paperwork and it’s just fingerprints you’re waiting on? Have you chased them up yet? There’s an organisation that may be able to help if you’re having problems with the delay https://www.iom.int/countries/france
but if you need their help you need to do it fast as the funding from the uk stops at the end of this month. Typically here in Italy it is taking around 2-3 months for uk nationals to receive their carta but it is not compulsory for you to have, it just makes travel easier. Do you actually have residency at your local town hall and it’s just your carta di Soggiorno you are waiting on because if so I wouldn’t worry. As long as you have your receipt that the police gave you for the initial application then you are legal! I know a few people who have travelled without having their carta and they have told border force that they are resident (showing their identity cards) so that they do not stamp their passport.
We were in our holiday home in France when my husband was diagnosed with cancer in March 2020, so we had to stay here because the nhs stopped investigating his illness due to covid. As he is French I’ve applied through marriage to a French citizen which gives me a 10 year card (although many people are being given the 5 year card erroneously) and I believe it’s much easier from the paperwork side of things. but in general French paperwork is a nightmare and the inefficiency in the civil service is staggering. I’ve done an online application and all I’ve had is an acknowledgment. I’m still waiting for the appointment to bring photos and do fingerprints, then they send it in the post, apparently. I contacted one of the agencies that help but they weren’t interested in my case, I think they’re dealing with old people who can’t manage everything online. There’s a lot of passport stamping going on but as we can’t travel it’s not an issue for now, but pre-covid I used to travel for work and I need the space in my passport for visas. I’ll use my Irish passport for work when I get it (certainly for work in Europe). Actually one of our last work trips was to Gaeta (a most bizarre work experience!) and we took a holiday afterwards in Ercolano etc and could see Capri from the apartment window. Such a lovely place but the driving is shockingly bad!
That’s awful about your husband and shocking that they stopped treating him because of Covid 😡, it’s used as an excuse for everything these days. Was it IOM you contacted before as they have been really helpful to a lot of people in the same situation as you. Worth dropping them an email as they’re very fast at replying. You got the 10 year card because you registered as resident before end December whereas I didn’t so I have to make do with 5 years but I know a lot of areas in Italy have been doing the same thing and IOM had to get involved to change it and they had their cards replaced. The paperwork is a nightmare here too and at my questura appointment they wouldn’t allow my husband to come in with me (again because of Covid) so I had to do the whole interview process in my dodgy Italian. I didn’t have to do any online application so that must be a French thing but that is an unbelievable amount of time you have waited so I would chase it up.

Yes it’s amazing down here and Capri is a dream but I wouldn’t attempt driving 😂😂

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:21 am

Jojo1904 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:00 am
That’s awful about your husband and shocking that they stopped treating him because of Covid 😡, it’s used as an excuse for everything these days. Was it IOM you contacted before as they have been really helpful to a lot of people in the same situation as you. Worth dropping them an email as they’re very fast at replying. You got the 10 year card because you registered as resident before end December whereas I didn’t so I have to make do with 5 years but I know a lot of areas in Italy have been doing the same thing and IOM had to get involved to change it and they had their cards replaced. The paperwork is a nightmare here too and at my questura appointment they wouldn’t allow my husband to come in with me (again because of Covid) so I had to do the whole interview process in my dodgy Italian. I didn’t have to do any online application so that must be a French thing but that is an unbelievable amount of time you have waited so I would chase it up.

Yes it’s amazing down here and Capri is a dream but I wouldn’t attempt driving 😂😂
I should get the ten year because I’m married to a French citizen. Otherwise in France you get a 5 year if you’ve been resident under 5 years and a 10 year (=permanent) if you’ve been resident over 5 years. Tbh, once I have my Irish passport I don’t really care as that allows me to come and go between the Uk and France as I please. Also the company I work for has major clients in Germany, Italy, Spain etc, so once we’re back at work in the same way as pre-covid my Irish passport will be very useful. But I don’t fancy going through all this paperwork again 5 years down the line for French residency.

Yes, it was IOM. They were pretty dismissive. I think I’ll be fine on my own. I’ve dealt with most of the admin since my husband’s been ill, re-registering the car, tax return and so on. Brits who don’t speak a word of French :roll: manage their appointments, so I know I’ll be ok if I have to go on my own.

He was being treated at Northwick Park. It was the first uk hospital to declare a crisis situation in late March 2020. In fact a colleague’s son is an A&E doc there and he said it was a very frightening situation. I imagine it was chaos. We were on holiday in France, after I’d had a spell working Ireland, and he went back to London for the consultation and they cancelled it when he was on the ferry. Hence we ended up staying in France so he could get treated.

afcbdave
Newly Registered

Post by afcbdave » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 am

Looking through the list of documents required for FBR based on an Irish Grandparent, I have everything to hand except proof of ID for my mother. She is 82 years old, hasn't had a passport for 20+ years, gave up her driving licence a few years ago and we don't have National ID cards in the UK.

Does anyone have first hand experience of what will be acceptable?

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JuniorBatman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:33 pm

afcbdave wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 am
Looking through the list of documents required for FBR based on an Irish Grandparent, I have everything to hand except proof of ID for my mother. She is 82 years old, hasn't had a passport for 20+ years, gave up her driving licence a few years ago and we don't have National ID cards in the UK.

I have no direct experience I'm afraid, but recall these questions being asked in the past.

This post suggested they were told a bus pass would suffice: ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277 ... l#p1846329

Although this post was a bit more pessimistic about the situation:
ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277 ... l#p1837778

As noted in one of the posts, it seems a bit odd requiring it, because it effectively means you need parental permission and it's the birth certificates that prove your eligibility. I know that when I applied for my passport (I have have an Irish-born parent) I only provided birth certificates.

You might be able to find something more concrete with better searches than I used, but I can't imagine you are the only one with this problem, and would have thought they'd be understanding of the situation.

afcbdave
Newly Registered

Post by afcbdave » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:42 pm

Thanks for the links..

I think I'll send certified copies of the most recently expired passport and driving licence, together with anything else I can find and en explanitory note. Might even apply for a bus pass for her (she's never had one)

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:16 pm

Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:02 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 am
Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m a UK applicant from early January 2020. Up to now I’ve just had the confirmation of receipt of documents sent email and nothing else. I’ve probably still got a long wait ahead of me but I thought I would ask if anyone has been in a similar situation as me. When I did the application online I made the mistake of going off to print my application form straight away and when I went back to pay the page had timed out! I couldn’t get back in to pay so I called DFR (those were the days you could actually speak to someone!) and they reassured me I would receive an email with a link to pay. Well, we all know what happened, in March 2020 everything closed down and I have heard nothing back regarding payment let alone anything else. After all this delay of almost 20 months I don’t want this to delay it even further. I’m also nervous as my mother who is still living did not have an up to date passport, only an old one, does not drive so no licence for photographic evidence so I sent her old passport with a doctors letter saying she was registered with them, does anyone think this would be a problem? On top of all of that, I’ve since moved permanently to Italy with my Italian husband and because of Brexit I’ve had to apply for the permission to stay here in Italy because I don’t have my irish citizenship yet which means my address on the application has changed so it’s caused no end of hassle! I’m hoping by next year I will have my Irish passport but I’m not holding my breath! I’m watching all of your posts avidly desperate to see an early 2020 application result!
Hi Jojo, you would probably be fine to just do another application online and use that application number when you send them off after you've paid.
I’ve already sent off everything January 2020 though, only payment was missing so I would be scared to do another application which would put me back at the end of the queue!
Oh my mistake, sorry I misread your post. Yes my suggestion is a bad idea. That's what I would have done at the time anyway before you'd sent it off. I can't imagine they'll even begin to process your application without payment. Then again you could get away it, who knows! In all seriousness though you do need to find some way of getting in contact with them. Easier said than done I know!

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:43 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:16 pm
Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:02 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 am
Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m a UK applicant from early January 2020. Up to now I’ve just had the confirmation of receipt of documents sent email and nothing else. I’ve probably still got a long wait ahead of me but I thought I would ask if anyone has been in a similar situation as me. When I did the application online I made the mistake of going off to print my application form straight away and when I went back to pay the page had timed out! I couldn’t get back in to pay so I called DFR (those were the days you could actually speak to someone!) and they reassured me I would receive an email with a link to pay. Well, we all know what happened, in March 2020 everything closed down and I have heard nothing back regarding payment let alone anything else. After all this delay of almost 20 months I don’t want this to delay it even further. I’m also nervous as my mother who is still living did not have an up to date passport, only an old one, does not drive so no licence for photographic evidence so I sent her old passport with a doctors letter saying she was registered with them, does anyone think this would be a problem? On top of all of that, I’ve since moved permanently to Italy with my Italian husband and because of Brexit I’ve had to apply for the permission to stay here in Italy because I don’t have my irish citizenship yet which means my address on the application has changed so it’s caused no end of hassle! I’m hoping by next year I will have my Irish passport but I’m not holding my breath! I’m watching all of your posts avidly desperate to see an early 2020 application result!
Hi Jojo, you would probably be fine to just do another application online and use that application number when you send them off after you've paid.
I’ve already sent off everything January 2020 though, only payment was missing so I would be scared to do another application which would put me back at the end of the queue!
Oh my mistake, sorry I misread your post. Yes my suggestion is a bad idea. That's what I would have done at the time anyway before you'd sent it off. I can't imagine they'll even begin to process your application without payment. Then again you could get away it, who knows! In all seriousness though you do need to find some way of getting in contact with them. Easier said than done I know!
They probably would process without payment - the €170 is refundable if you aren't added to the FBR, only the €8 postage and handling fee isn't.

Also if they said a link to pay would be sent then I'm sure that's what will happen.

V3rvangen
Newly Registered

Post by V3rvangen » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm

afcbdave wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 am

During my gathering of documents in Jan 2020 I ran into the same issue - grandparent had no ID.
I rang up the FBR office and they said a letter from my grandparent's doctor confirming personal details and that due to old age and ill health it would be unlikely he would have had a passport would be sufficient.
My grandparent unfortunately then passed away before I could finish the application process so I never actually went through with that step.
It sounds like the FBR office may be open again soon for enquiries so you can double check with them, but I think the advice re: a doctors note would still be the way to go.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:03 pm

For the record I would like to apologise to everyone for how I carried on before. I was really stupid, worrying about my job in Luxembourg and not being able to live in my cottage in Brittany. Ever since I owned it I have never spent more than 90 days there so it is not a huge issue. As for working in the EU, there will be opportunities once I've sorted out the FBR. I was extremely upset about Brexit - it was so wrong on so many levels. Right now I just have to accept that COVID is delaying things. That trip to Ireland did me the world of good. You know how they "the grass is greener on the other side," well the grass in Ireland really is greener! It almost glows! We will all get through the FBR process as COVID will eventually run its course. Pretty much everything in life is cyclical. My prediction is that even when Balbriggan is operational again they won't update the website for a few weeks, thereby avoiding a tidal wave of documents arriving when they are just getting back to speed. FBR and COVID are something of a thorny wood however there are glimmers of hope. I see things a lot more clearly now.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:03 pm
For the record I would like to apologise to everyone for how I carried on before. I was really stupid, worrying about my job in Luxembourg and not being able to live in my cottage in Brittany. Ever since I owned it I have never spent more than 90 days there so it is not a huge issue. As for working in the EU, there will be opportunities once I've sorted out the FBR. I was extremely upset about Brexit - it was so wrong on so many levels. Right now I just have to accept that COVID is delaying things. That trip to Ireland did me the world of good. You know how they "the grass is greener on the other side," well the grass in Ireland really is greener! It almost glows! We will all get through the FBR process as COVID will eventually run its course. Pretty much everything in life is cyclical. My prediction is that even when Balbriggan is operational again they won't update the website for a few weeks, thereby avoiding a tidal wave of documents arriving when they are just getting back to speed. FBR and COVID are something of a thorny wood however there are glimmers of hope. I see things a lot more clearly now.
The whole situation really has been frustrating, and even though we know it's going to work out eventually, the sheer uncertainty (particularly the lengthy silence you touched on) has been tough on all of us.

There are absolutely more glimmers of hope at this stage - seriously hoping any May - June '19 cases still pending get an update soon. Then the rest should be smoother sailing.

Feeling very lucky that my supporting passport documents have officially been received. If all goes according to plan, the entire process (from FBR docs received in Ireland to passport received in CA) will have taken ~25 months.

Fish Fry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Fish Fry » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:25 pm

DKCalifornia wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:23 pm
Despondent is the exact word for my feelings right now. Still nothing at all… June 2019 application and documents confirmed in Balbriggan.
Seeing everyone else in this (now 2years and 3 months) group now getting approvals, even if mail is slow to arrive, have me feeling more like this is never going to happen. Despondent- yep. Really just need the original documents back at this point and we can give up. Sigh.
Don't give up DK. I was in the same boat and was also reaching the point of despondency. I filed online in late May 2019, received confirmation my documents were received in Balbriggan on June 6, 2019, and then ... nothing for 27 months, give or take. I finally received my confirmation of address email on August 19 and then just this morning received my congratulatory email saying my certificate has been printed and mailed. I'll believe it when I see it, but it is all looking good for me, as I am sure it will for you too, and soon.

rickiclark
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rickiclark » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Is there an email address (clarification@fbr.ie)? or any other way of contacting them? The passport office said there was but this is the best I can come up with. Has anyone had any success getting a response or confirmation of their place in the queue? Seems to me this is a granted right that we are all exercising but are at complete mercy to their new and changing timelines. Wont theyl be completely overwhelmed trying to catch up if they are not employing any of their people at all on the FBR side of things? Can't they be a little more transparent, and provide some form letter...or something! to let people know ...after 2 years? sorry for the rant. I am little less patient than I would like to be congrats to all the ones i notice starting to get theirs, even tho there are 10s of thousands now piling up. oh well...Thanks for the encouragement i have gotten from posters here!

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 pm

It is possible to submit a Freedom of information request, essentially forcing them to admit in writing that they have your documents and that they are waiting to be processed, however they will likely not tell you your place in the queue, as the FOI request essentially is a request to know about information held on file. If you have already received an acknowledgement that they have your documents, the FOI will likely be little to no use. If on the other hand you haven't heard anything at all it might serve some purpose. I do have some email addresses however I think it would be unprofessional and inappropriate for me to share them on here. Anyone wanting to make a FOI request can look up the information on the "How we are accountable" section here:

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/accountabil ... -requests/

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/accountabil ... countable/

Best regards,

Flatcap

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm

With all the waiting and no information or communication so many are despairing.

The FBR and passport processing is a clearly a big issue for the whole country. The passport delays featured in a Live phone-in on RTE radio just a few weeks ago. If you want to hear some of the issues experienced it gives some insights into the widespread frustrations with the service.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/21994595/

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:53 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm
With all the waiting and no information or communication so many are despairing.

The FBR and passport processing is a clearly a big issue for the whole country. The passport delays featured in a Live phone-in on RTE radio just a few weeks ago. If you want to hear some of the issues experienced it gives some insights into the widespread frustrations with the service.

I'll give that a listen on my day off, Corky. It is, for the most part, the deafening wall of silence from the DFA that is quite crushing for many. I had to fly over to Dublin and barge into their main office before I could get anyone to access any tangible information and get someone to speak to me in a human manner. I do not blame the webchat agents, though. Not all of them were terrible - only one was exceptionally rude - and when I submitted my FOI request, they "couldn't find" that particular chat (it happened alright) - which is why I always keep transcripts now. I bet they must have an extremely hard time fielding multiple chats on the go, dealing with fraught and angry communications from people all around the world, each of whom will have their own life situation and set of circumstances, some of which are a whole lot more urgent than mine. The problem is that the DFA pretty much shut down FBR and did not do anything to deal with the eventual enquiries that were bound to come through.

When it comes down to it I can wait a couple of years if I have to. My British passport seems to work perfectly well and I will still be able to visit the places I like while it's all going through. There will be opportunities to work abroad again. Golden Harp Day will come!!! For all people might knock Ireland's tough stance on COVID, they must be doing something right, for their COVID levels are relatively low. I will continue to press the DFA and make enquiries and will share anything useful, where appropriate.

Countrychicken
Newly Registered

Post by Countrychicken » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Well. I’m a newbie but have been following all you news in the hopes mine will get sorted soon and now can confirm the following:

application : 30th May 2019
Confirmation docs received: 4th June 2019
Confirmation of address email: 16th August 2021
Congratulations email : 10 September 2021
Cert received: TBC

So 28 months altogether and if I hadn’t chased I don’t think I would still have received anything! Don’t give up!

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Countrychicken wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:53 pm
Well. I’m a newbie but have been following all you news in the hopes mine will get sorted soon and now can confirm the following:

So 28 months altogether and if I hadn’t chased I don’t think I would still have received anything! Don’t give up!
That is great news. Congrats to you. Good to see more of the stragglers from Spring 2019 being completed when some applications received 5-6 months later are being completed sooner.

My suspicion is that these earlier (partly completed?) applications are stuck in the office systems with few staff there to complete them and the later (freshly started?) applications are therefore easier to process.

When you say 'chased' did you have contact with someone that helped move things on ?

Thanks for posting as it does keep hopes alive.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:44 pm

Countrychicken wrote:

Hello Chicken,

Welcome and congratulations on the congratulations after 28 long months. That must be one of the longer FBR processing times I've heard of. I suppose if one adds the DFA's purported maximum pre-COVID processing time (18 months) with however long Balbriggan has been out of action we are probably looking at a theoretical maximum of something approaching 30 months. I sometimes wonder what must the people applying for citizenship through naturalisation must be going through. They have to live in Ireland for 5 years and then apply....dreadful.. however your story and others' highlight the importance of hanging in there and not giving up. I think it is important that the DFA be lobbied to improve communications however it is hard to get them to take notice. I have half a mind to go back to Dublin dressed as a giant golden harp and jump out in front of Simon Coveney and say: "Sorry for HARPING on about this issue....oh actually I'm not, now sort it out!!! Ireland has the Taoiseach, well I could be the CLAIRSEACH (see I've been practising my Irish) however I might find myself committed to an asylum. Having been to the DFA in Ireland and spoken to them I do kind of see their perspective a little bit more, however their comms leave a lot to be desired.

Regards,

Flatcap

Fish Fry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Fish Fry » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:10 am

Countrychicken wrote:

Your timeline and mine are virtually identical. Here's mine:

Application : 26th May 2019
Confirmation docs received: 6th June 2019
Confirmation of address email: 18th August 2021
Congratulations email : 8 September 2021

Congratulations.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:26 am

Not sure whether this article from a month ago has been discussed previously, however it is interesting as it throws some light on what Simon Coveney had to say about what the government are purportedly doing about passport and FBR processing...

Link to the full article here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.4646579

However if you're short on time I have provided a bullet-point précis as follows:-

- Many Irish citizens were upset at not being able to get their passports renewed. This led to numerous complaints to TD's (MP's).

- There was a huge backlog of passport applications to be cleared. Processing of passports for urgent cases still was happening.

- 80 additional staff were hired to help clear the backlog.

- Simon Coveney stated that the Government is embarking on a further recruitment drive planned for September to deal with anticipated further demand for passports and also to assist with FBR processing. Here is the direct quote:

"“My department continues to work with the Public Appointments Service to finalise a recruitment campaign for September to hire more staff to meet the forecasted demand for passports and to address the foreign birth registration applications, paused during the Covid-19 restrictions,” Mr Coveney said.

Regards,

Flatcap

Countrychicken
Newly Registered

Post by Countrychicken » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:49 am

Thank you all it’s a relief. I left it for about 18 months and phoned December 20 to be told it was on the pile next to do. I then tried several web chats and go no where.

I was so angry come July this year when it had been over 2 years. So I emailed the passport email address with all my dates and communication. A week later I had a phone call.

My application was not complete. I was missing my dads if as we are estranged. I had to send over his siblings birth and death certificate and things went quickly then.

I think they are processing all the ones they can that are straight forward and any that are incomplete or complicated leaving until some of the backlog is sorted.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 pm

I listed to the whole 50-minute clip, Corky. If old Simon Coveney was right in that at full capacity they can process 120,000 passports a week, one could extrapolate a figure of 30,000 FBR applications - as they are purportedly much more complicated. I wonder what has precluded the DFA's resolving things within the timescale he quoted? I wonder how many staff members they are looking to allocate to FBR this year? I emailed Joe Duffy outlining the FBR situation - not that I expect anything will come of it, however it would be nice to get the issue some more airtime. So many questions remain unanswered.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:20 am

Hello again everyone. Flatcap here again with another update!

This one comes from the Oireachtas (Irish parliament) and, dated 9th September 2021, it as far as I can tell, at the time of writing, one of the most recent statements from the Oireachtas about FBR processing.

Here is the link to read the statement in full:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 52_460_470

For those of you who are short on time, I have summarised the key points below:

- Simon Coveney was asked by minister Mick Barry when FBR will resume, the estimated backlog in applications, if he will consider reviewing the way the register is managed and if he will make a statement on the matter. SImon Coveney trotted out the well-worn lines we are all familiar with about safety during COVID, redeployment and prioritisation in other areas, how complex FBR processing is... blah, blah blah, and then added the following interesting statement:-

"The Passport Service is very concerned about this backlog situation and are actively planning to resume processing FBR applications as soon as possible. We will be making a public announcement on specific dates in the coming weeks. My Department is committed to allocating further resources to this service to assist with the high volume of applications when regular processing resumes with a focus on reducing turnaround times to pre COVID-19 levels by the end of 2021. In the medium term, changes to the FBR process to increase efficiencies and improve the customer experience will be delivered under the next phase of my Department's Passport Reform Programme."

In summary - They are VERY concerned about the backlog situation. They are making plans to resume processing and will announce further details "in the coming weeks" (as I predicted). Even when they resume processing it is still going to take ages anyway. In the "medium term" (in other words not particularly soon at all - probably several months away at least, if not longer) they will be reviewing FBR processing to improve processes in line with the DFA's phased "Passport Reform Programme".

All in all, lots of words, very little action that will generate any tangible improvement over the coming months.

Now I am going away to think up a list of intelligent, probing questions I can put to Mr Coveney's office.

Cheers!

Flatcap

-

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:04 am

A further noteworthy point (that I missed earlier): SIMON COVENEY HAS PUT A CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN...

Mr Coveney, in response to numerous parliamentary questions to which he replied all with one single statement, including the following potentially useful bit:

"In cases of exceptional urgency applicants may continue to contact the Passport Service directly using email address: travelemergency@dfat.ie "

As ever, I have pasted the link to this below so you can see I am only something Mr Coveney has already put in the public domain in response to parliamentary questions Click on the link and scroll down to the bottom to see the bit I quoted:-

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 52_460_470

I hope some of you will find this helpful.

Cheers!

Flatcap