ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
meself2
Member of Standing
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:10 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by meself2 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:55 pm

Abaloneman wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:31 pm
As one of the last 2019 applicants, I am pleased to report a confirmation of address email today.

Date of Application: November 30, 2019
Documents Received: December 30, 2019
Address Conf. email: February 16, 2022

So, after 2 years and 1 and 1/2 months, Team 1 says I will be approved for the FBR and requested address confirmation.

Thanks to all who have posted here as it has been a tremendous support in the long wait. It will be a Jameson for me tonight!

Cheers :D
congrats!

JohnFBR
Newbie
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JohnFBR » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm

Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!

jjustyy
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jjustyy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:00 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm
Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!
Definitely seems to be speeding up John, exciting :D

Apple10
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Apple10 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:54 pm

Does anyone know how long the offices were closed for in 2020? Trying to get a sense of "months" I need them to get through :x

Congratulations to everyone who has received confirmation recently! As another poster said, it's really nice seeing everyone so happy and excited.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:09 am

Apple10 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:54 pm
Does anyone know how long the offices were closed for in 2020? Trying to get a sense of "months" I need them to get through :x

Congratulations to everyone who has received confirmation recently! As another poster said, it's really nice seeing everyone so happy and excited.
Not sure how long or exactly when but....I received email saying I was approved on Dec 14th 2020 then they shut down. I finally received my FBR certificate in Aug 2021.My certificate was dated Dec 16 2020 .My guess is it sat on a desk waiting to be sent. Oh well....

How long they were closed doesn't really help. Just watch who gets approved now and when their documents originally arrived. That shows how long it's taking on average.

Good luck..jgclancy

Apple10
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Apple10 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:28 am

Thanks for tip, I will do that.

Suro
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:05 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Suro » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:53 am

Ben-94 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:02 pm
Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a confusing situation and I'm wondering if you can help. I'm applying for FBR through my Irish grandfather, he was a quirky character and tended to fabricate things a bit. On his birth and marriage certificate just his first and last name are written, however on his death certificate he has his first name, two middle names that he added later in life, and a surname.

The problem is that he never officially had any middle names, he just added them on without any deed poll or name change documentation whatsoever (yet they are present on his death certificate). So I'm a bit lost as to whether to write those middle names in the "Current forename (if different)" section, or whether I should just leave it as his first and last name.

Thanks in advance!
I am in the exact same boat as you! My Grandad, bless him, was known as a totally different name throughout his life than what was on his birth certificate. Then, when my parents married a middle name appeared from nowhere. His death certificate was accurate though. I sent a letter explaining with my application and some military newspaper articles about him, which also detailed the different names. I also discovered his date of birth was inaccurate, presumably to make himself 18 for WW2 signing up. He was actually 17 then according to his birth certificate.
I have no idea if this is going to cause me problems, hence why I sent the covering letter. Fingers crossed :)

Hollyq
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:51 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Hollyq » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:44 am

JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm
Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!
Both my children’s applications were submitted together and received 02/01/2020. Got the address confirmation email today!! Even has an apology for the delay because of COVID. So so pleased the wait is over!!

Mandino55
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 pm
Canada

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mandino55 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:20 pm

Hollyq wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:44 am
JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm
Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!
Both my children’s applications were submitted together and received 02/01/2020. Got the address confirmation email today!! Even has an apology for the delay because of COVID. So so pleased the wait is over!!
Congrats! First 2020 Approval!

Abaloneman
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Abaloneman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:42 pm

Update:

Date of Application: November 30,2019
Documents Received: December 30,2019
Address Conf. email: February 16, 2022
Congratulations email: February 17, 2022 :D

They advise 2-3 weeks for document printing.

JohnFBR
Newbie
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JohnFBR » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:09 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:20 pm
Hollyq wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:44 am
JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm
Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!
Both my children’s applications were submitted together and received 02/01/2020. Got the address confirmation email today!! Even has an apology for the delay because of COVID. So so pleased the wait is over!!
Congrats! First 2020 Approval!
🎉🎉🎉🎉 2020 intake!!

mmccarthy404
Newly Registered
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:53 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by mmccarthy404 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:24 pm

Hollyq wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:44 am
JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm
Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!
Both my children’s applications were submitted together and received 02/01/2020. Got the address confirmation email today!! Even has an apology for the delay because of COVID. So so pleased the wait is over!!
Congrats! Just double checking, is 02/01/2020 January 2nd or February 1st? :D

calgor
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:27 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by calgor » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 pm

I've been lurking here for a while and finally got some news:
Application received: Dec 29 2019
Request for docs: Feb 17 2022

They requested that I send in my mom's FBR, which seems strange because I'm applying through my grandmother (her mother) and I sent in all the appropriate documentation for that, and FBR is not required when claiming citizenship through grandparents. My mom got her FBR nearly a decade ago and is having trouble tracking it down (she does have her Irish passport though).

Does anyone know why they want her FBR to complete my application? I have two brothers who already have their FBRs and they never got this request.

duffy1867
Junior Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:39 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:56 pm

calgor wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 pm
I've been lurking here for a while and finally got some news:
Application received: Dec 29 2019
Request for docs: Feb 17 2022

They requested that I send in my mom's FBR, which seems strange because I'm applying through my grandmother (her mother) and I sent in all the appropriate documentation for that, and FBR is not required when claiming citizenship through grandparents. My mom got her FBR nearly a decade ago and is having trouble tracking it down (she does have her Irish passport though).

Does anyone know why they want her FBR to complete my application? I have two brothers who already have their FBRs and they never got this request.
This is interesting (and something similar was brought up earlier in the week on here in relation to FBR for people with Irish parents)

Have the rules changed since your mum applied? As I understand the current rules, anyone with an Irish parent is already a citizen and therefore nor required or even eligible to apply for FBR - so as I understand the current rules, she could not even have this certificate? (but I think you're saying she does...)

Interested to learn more and if the rules have changed over time...

Hollyq
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:51 pm
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Hollyq » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:18 pm

mmccarthy404 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:24 pm
Hollyq wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:44 am
JohnFBR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:26 pm
Is it wishful thinking or do other people agree it does seem to be speeding up again?
So close to the 2020 applications now!
Both my children’s applications were submitted together and received 02/01/2020. Got the address confirmation email today!! Even has an apology for the delay because of COVID. So so pleased the wait is over!!
Congrats! Just double checking, is 02/01/2020 January 2nd or February 1st? :D
2nd Jan - I forget there are other interpretations 😂

JohnFBR
Newbie
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JohnFBR » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:19 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:56 pm
calgor wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 pm
I've been lurking here for a while and finally got some news:
Application received: Dec 29 2019
Request for docs: Feb 17 2022

They requested that I send in my mom's FBR, which seems strange because I'm applying through my grandmother (her mother) and I sent in all the appropriate documentation for that, and FBR is not required when claiming citizenship through grandparents. My mom got her FBR nearly a decade ago and is having trouble tracking it down (she does have her Irish passport though).

Does anyone know why they want her FBR to complete my application? I have two brothers who already have their FBRs and they never got this request.
This is interesting (and something similar was brought up earlier in the week on here in relation to FBR for people with Irish parents)

Have the rules changed since your mum applied? As I understand the current rules, anyone with an Irish parent is already a citizen and therefore nor required or even eligible to apply for FBR - so as I understand the current rules, she could not even have this certificate? (but I think you're saying she does...)

Interested to learn more and if the rules have changed over time...
If your grandmother was born in Ireland your mother was already Irish so she had no need to apply for citizenship.

calgor
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:27 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by calgor » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:22 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:19 pm
duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:56 pm
calgor wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 pm
I've been lurking here for a while and finally got some news:
Application received: Dec 29 2019
Request for docs: Feb 17 2022

They requested that I send in my mom's FBR, which seems strange because I'm applying through my grandmother (her mother) and I sent in all the appropriate documentation for that, and FBR is not required when claiming citizenship through grandparents. My mom got her FBR nearly a decade ago and is having trouble tracking it down (she does have her Irish passport though).

Does anyone know why they want her FBR to complete my application? I have two brothers who already have their FBRs and they never got this request.
This is interesting (and something similar was brought up earlier in the week on here in relation to FBR for people with Irish parents)

Have the rules changed since your mum applied? As I understand the current rules, anyone with an Irish parent is already a citizen and therefore nor required or even eligible to apply for FBR - so as I understand the current rules, she could not even have this certificate? (but I think you're saying she does...)

Interested to learn more and if the rules have changed over time...
If your grandmother was born in Ireland your mother was already Irish so she had no need to apply for citizenship.
Ah OK I guess that's why she can't find her FBR certificate - she doesn't have one! I think they automatically add you when you apply for the passport. I've replied to their email asking how to proceed given she doesn't have an FBR. This makes it even more confusing as to why they've asked for this...

JohnFBR
Newbie
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JohnFBR » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Just send the passport in and explain the family connection.

Cymro94
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:03 pm
Wales

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Cymro94 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:44 am

Received my confirmation of address phone call today, during which my application was confirmed to have been approved.
Application submitted online: 19/12/2019 (I think!)
Application documents received in Balbriggan: 23/12/2019
Confirmation of address phone call/email: 17/02/2022
Hopefully only a few more weeks now until it’s official, then I can join the queue for a passport!

TrishMc
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by TrishMc » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:39 am

Congrats to all the folks recently added to FBR. Please make sure you fill out the Google doc so we can keep track!

martingeorge
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:13 pm

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by martingeorge » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi all

Long time lurker here

Initial application made 8 Jan 2019
Docs received 3 Feb 2020

Yes a year from application. Time and tide wait for no-one but cancer re-focuses your priority lists very quickly. Nothing happened since then but Wednesday 16 Feb 22, I received a call from a Dublin Number but was out. No message left and when I tried to call the number back the system told me ''We are unable to connect you to this number''.....Oh well, now waiting for another ring....or an 'e' mail. I don't usually get calls from Dublin by the way

Dalton_Trumbo
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:11 pm
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:08 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:56 pm
calgor wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 pm
I've been lurking here for a while and finally got some news:
Application received: Dec 29 2019
Request for docs: Feb 17 2022

They requested that I send in my mom's FBR, which seems strange because I'm applying through my grandmother (her mother) and I sent in all the appropriate documentation for that, and FBR is not required when claiming citizenship through grandparents. My mom got her FBR nearly a decade ago and is having trouble tracking it down (she does have her Irish passport though).

Does anyone know why they want her FBR to complete my application? I have two brothers who already have their FBRs and they never got this request.
This is interesting (and something similar was brought up earlier in the week on here in relation to FBR for people with Irish parents)

Have the rules changed since your mum applied? As I understand the current rules, anyone with an Irish parent is already a citizen and therefore nor required or even eligible to apply for FBR - so as I understand the current rules, she could not even have this certificate? (but I think you're saying she does...)

Interested to learn more and if the rules have changed over time...
martingeorge wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:43 pm
Hi all

Long time lurker here

Initial application made 8 Jan 2019
Docs received 3 Feb 2020

Yes a year from application. Time and tide wait for no-one but cancer re-focuses your priority lists very quickly. Nothing happened since then but Wednesday 16 Feb 22, I received a call from a Dublin Number but was out. No message left and when I tried to call the number back the system told me ''We are unable to connect you to this number''.....Oh well, now waiting for another ring....or an 'e' mail. I don't usually get calls from Dublin by the way
This is indeed interesting. I as well am applying through my Grandmother who was born in Cork to Irish parents. My mother was born in London. She has never applied to the FBR or had an Irish passport, (she moved to the US as a child).
Seems like an error on the FBR end to me. Perhaps to deal with the backlog they have hired and are training people to fill in, and the person misunderstood your application.
I have several friends who've done this process in the last 20 years, through an Irish grandparent, none of them received this request.

Keep us posted as to how it develops!

PMM
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:41 am

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by PMM » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:01 am

I finally got around to submitting an application for Foreign Birth Registration based on my Grandfather a couple of weeks ago and have now received confirmation of receipt - so now sit back and wait for a couple of years.

Two things had delayed my application.

The first was there seemed little point if my wife could not also obtain Irish citizenship as the main reason for applying was to overcome the 90/180 day EU rule for stays there. There was a possibility that her grandmother had been born in Ireland, but that turned into a bit of a dead end, as it turned out there were two women with virtually the same names and virtually the same birth dates who married men with the same name in the same town - one was born in Ireland and one wasn’t. My wife’s grandmother was the one that wasn’t.

However we then discovered the recent EU decision that the days spent in the EU with their spouse who is an EU citizen don’t count towards the 90/180 days, only days spent in the EU on their own. So that meant my application on its own would be enough.

The second problem was that although I had no difficulty tracing my grandfather’s birth and marriage, he separated from my grandmother when my father was a young child and then vanished, and as a result I could find no trace of his death.

As a result I have done a statutory declaration explaining why I can’t provide his death certificate and had it signed by a solicitor, and we will see in a couple of year’s time whether that is acceptable.

TrishMc
Junior Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 am
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by TrishMc » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:05 pm

It would be great if all the new FBR approvals would add or update their information in the Google spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =108802943 we have been using to track progress:


Mandino55
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 pm
Canada

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mandino55 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:58 pm

Today marks 500 days since the FBR received my application in their offices.

Post Reply
cron