ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:18 pm

Valo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:04 pm
Just got a reply from the person processing my application. It’s approved and is in the queue for printing.

Standard spiel about Brexit delay etc etc, but is good to finally here that it is due to be printed and has been approved.
Thats fantastic news 🇮🇪 . I've been too scared to bother them :mrgreen:

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:04 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:18 pm
Valo wrote:
Just got a reply from the person processing my application. It’s approved and is in the queue for printing.

Standard spiel about Brexit delay etc etc, but is good to finally here that it is due to be printed and has been approved.
Thats fantastic news 🇮🇪 . I've been too scared to bother them :mrgreen:
I’d say go for it. Can’t see the harm. Just word it nicely

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:31 pm

Valo wrote:

Congrats Valo especially on navigating the estranged parent issues! Great news! Welcome to the team :)

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:31 pm
Valo wrote:

Congrats Valo especially on navigating the estranged parent issues! Great news! Welcome to the team :)
Thanks guys. Glad to have it off my shoulders now.

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:03 am

FrozenTundra wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:48 pm
Just got my first communication from the FBR staff for my infant son's FBR application!

Application submitted online: February 14th, 2021
Documents mailed: April 13th, 2021
Documents received in Ireland: April 26th, 2021 (according to the United States Postal Service tracking system; I never received any confirmation from the Irish authorities)
Request for updated photos of infant child: November 29th, 2022 (today!)

All the email asked for was updated photos of my son, so I assume there is nothing else to do and nothing wrong with the application. I'll send updated photos to the FBR staff later this week. Hopefully my son's FBR is approved by the end of the year.

But wow, can't believe they are already blowing through April 2021 applications. Very speedy.
So as an update for the above: I mailed the updated photos of my son to the FBR from the United States on November 30th, 2022. And since then... crickets. I emailed the FBR person (the one who sent me the original email requesting updated photos) on December 19th and December 30th asking for any updates, but no reply.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation of having to send updated child photos and then not hearing anything afterwards?

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:02 pm

Shanners wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 pm
I just wondered whether anyone else has a similar history and has found a way around this situation.
My Irish grandfather's birth was never registered. Mine was a much easier situation than yours though as I found a record of his baptism in Ireland. With your grandmother having been baptised in Shrewsbury, it's going to be very difficult to find a document to prove she was born in Ireland. Off the top of my head, the only evidence I could imagine you finding would be immigration or travel records to show your great grandmother took her from Ireland to England prior to her baptism?

The only vaguely useful advice I can offer you is that, in order to get this resolved, you will need to create a birth certificate for you grandmother, and this is not something that the FBR people deal with. Having done a quick search on the internet, it appears that the process that I followed to do this (a 'late registration of birth') appears to have either changed or is no longer possible, but if you want to look into this, the responsible department is not the DFA. Here's all the info. I've got so you can try to follow this up yourself:

1. The department I dealt with was the Civil Registration Service, Office of the Registrar General, Convent Road, Roscommon.

2. The two forms I had to fill in were:
- B1 L. ('Application for the late registration of a birth.' Section 19(5) of the Civil Registration Act 2004)
- CRA 12(L) (Declaration for Late Registration of Birth (more than 12 months after the birth)'

3. The B1 L has to have the following attached: (1) Baptism certificate (2) Parents' marriage certificate (3) CRA 12(L) (4) If born in hospital or nursing home, either records from there, or letter stating it has now closed down. (5) If their parents have died, date and place of death, and certificate if they died outside Ireland (6) Confirmation that no older siblings are in a position to apply for the birth registration

4. The CRA 12(L) form requires all sorts of info. about the person who's birth is being registered, and must be notarised.

As you'll have gathered, your big problem is that your Grandmother has an English baptism certificate. If you want to find out whether there's any way to prove her Irish birth, your best bet would be to try to talk to the Civil Registration Service. I've just Googled them, and they now appear to be in Dublin. And I couldn't find any info about Late Registration via a Google search, so I'm wondering if that's no longer a thing?

snugglebug
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by snugglebug » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:59 am

Congratulations everyone who has received confirmation of their FBR! I just had mine approved! :lol:

I applied online September 2021 but wasn’t expecting to hear anything for a long while due to the huge backlog of applications so was pleasantly surprised when I had email asking for confirmation of address last month.

Here’s my timeline
Online application-06 September 2021
Supporting docs received Balbriggan 19th November 2021 (according to postal tracking , there was no email confirmation)
Confirmation of address email -20th December 2022
Congratulations email - 19th Jan 2023

Shanners
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Shanners » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:43 pm

To: BrexitEscapee

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of relying in such detail; this is very helpful and I will look into this.

THANK YOU!

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered

Post by ilikefrogs » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:49 pm

Valo wrote:

Congratulations. I bet that’s a relief.

I’ve got impatient and have emailed them, hopefully they’ll reply confirming I’ve been processed!

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:27 pm

Just got my Congratulations email through!!

Good luck for the folks still waiting. I am off to stalk the postman.

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered

Post by ilikefrogs » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:57 am

ilikefrogs wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:49 pm
Valo wrote:

Congratulations. I bet that’s a relief.

I’ve got impatient and have emailed them, hopefully they’ll reply confirming I’ve been processed!
Looks like my chaser was worth sending!

No gratulations email, but a manually typed one saying my entry to the FBR has been approved and I have been granted Irish citizenship. I’m so happy!

Also included was the following note:

Additionally, at the request of the Royal Mail in the UK, all outgoing postage to the UK has been halted by our postage team for a period. This is due to the recent strikes and the backlog that has been created.

Our documentation team will arrange for the return of all of your original supporting documentation alongside your FBR certificate via Registered Post once they have reached your place in the queue.

Next challenge, receive my FBR certificate and apply for a passport!

LongWayDown
Newly Registered

Post by LongWayDown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:10 pm

I've just emailed again having not heard anything since the address confirmation on 19/12/22. Even a simple reply at the time to say that they received it would stop a lot of stressing.

LongWayDown
Newly Registered

Post by LongWayDown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:12 pm

And whaddya know, a congrats email within 1 minute if me sending the email. Very very strange situation but glad it's nearly over!

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm

Makes me wonder if they hold off on the congrats email until the Certificate is actually printed? Someone else had posted something about this theory but it does seem that those who have got the address check but are still waiting and have emailed them about it seem to get the congrats email pretty quickly although with the standard phrases that you are accepted but it's still in the print queue.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:11 pm

We are all aware that FBR does not post certificates/supporting docs back to UK. Has anyone received any documents since that policy was enacted in mid December?

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:27 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm
Makes me wonder if they hold off on the congrats email until the Certificate is actually printed? Someone else had posted something about this theory but it does seem that those who have got the address check but are still waiting and have emailed them about it seem to get the congrats email pretty quickly although with the standard phrases that you are accepted but it's still in the print queue.
Seems to be the case with me. I was approved (but only knew that because I asked lady checking). A week later I received my Congrats email saying my certificate was being printed.

I will let folks know if I receive it.

LongWayDown
Newly Registered

Post by LongWayDown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:39 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:02 pm
This is what I got as soon as I emailed

"Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful.

A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope"

xRGHx
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by xRGHx » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 pm

Woke up to the best email! I am a bit surprised with how emotional it made me feel...I'm so grateful to my Grammy for the gift of her lineage and culture. I was a Dec 2020 applicant, with a request for an additional document (I had sent my Mother's proof of death certificate, not the civil death certificate) in mid November 2022....so all told I'm just over two years. Hope the wait for the actual certificate and my documents back isn't too long!

"Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful.

A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope.

If you live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, Passport Online is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your first Irish passport. See https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/ for more information."

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:07 pm

The shipping of documents from the DFA to the UK has resumed:

PatientWaiter
Newly Registered

Post by PatientWaiter » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:57 pm

Update on Kildare Street says that the waiting time for new applications submitted today has gone down from 2 years to 11 months. Hopefully that backlog just keeps going down..

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id ... Fbr#g615.r

BigRig
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by BigRig » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:35 am

Hey Everyone, new here, but have been sitting on my application for 8 years due to unforeseen circumstances when I started it that caused me to keep putting it aside. Heading to Ireland for a wedding this spring with out my passport, which I don't want to do again, so looking to finally fix this thing for my future, and happy to see so many people having success.

My issue which I am looking for some information on is around submitting an affidavit along with the application to confirm the accuracy of misaligned information. Essentially when my grandpa was born his parents didn't report his date of birth to the state accurately so there is a irregularity between what his age at death on his death certificate says, and what his age at death would be if calculating it from his birth certificate.

Speaking to a lawyer\commissioner of oaths (in Canada) I was told I can submit a sworn affidavit signed by my mom along with a copy of his baptismal certificate as evidence (recorded in 1902 which confirms my mom's knowledge of his actually birth date used on the death certificate). However they told me that different countries and governing boards have different requirements for affidavits, and that is what I haven't been able to find for Ireland causing me to sit on my application for the last 8 years.

TLDR: Does anyone have any experience or information on sworn affidavit format\template to submit with an FBR application that they can share with me?

PS: what kind of documents can be used for proof of address? Would a cell phone or other bill and\or bank statements printed from online work?

Thanks!

IdaCanada
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by IdaCanada » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:40 pm

Thanks to this fourm I’ve been following for years and it’s really helped understand the situation.

Final update:
Application submitted online: 05/19/2021
Documents received at Balbriggan: 03/02/2022 (I waited due to COVID)
Confirmation of address email: 01/27/2022 (Responded with 1 hr)
Congrats email: 01/27/2022 (got confirmed 3hrs after confirming my address)

I will say, the package sent was very “clean”. When they asked for 1 proof of address, we sent 2 notarized copies for example. We tried to make it easy

They said certificates will be mailed in 4 weeks but my understanding is I can apply for the passport even without that in hand?

TichB
Newly Registered

Post by TichB » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Hi, I have been following the site for a while and see that others with similar dates have had their application successfully processed.
Application submitted online 23 Jun 21.
Documents received at Balbriggan 13 Dec 21 - Posted as Covid advised.
Confirmation of address email 29 Dec 22.
Not heard a thing after sending my address confirmation.
I noticed that a few people have contacted FBR and have then had their confirmation of being accepted. Do you contact the person who sent the address check or the FBR helpline.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:05 pm

TichB wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:32 pm
Hi, I have been following the site for a while and see that others with similar dates have had their application successfully processed.
Application submitted online 23 Jun 21.
Documents received at Balbriggan 13 Dec 21 - Posted as Covid advised.
Confirmation of address email 29 Dec 22.
Not heard a thing after sending my address confirmation.
I noticed that a few people have contacted FBR and have then had their confirmation of being accepted. Do you contact the person who sent the address check or the FBR helpline.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hi

I contacted the person dealing with my application and they then told me it was approved and waiting in the queue for printing and that I would hear back again with a. Congrats email once printed (still waiting).

It depends on the person dealing with the application though. I know one other person who emailed and didn’t get a reply but mines was very prompt in replying to me.

bsprtsgrp
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bsprtsgrp » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Online Application Sent: April 30, 2021
Documents Mailed USPS Priority International: May 1, 2021
Tracking Mail Received in Balbriggan: May 11, 2021
Acknowledgment of Receipt email received: July 29, 2021
Email request from Clarification for additional document for Mother: November 28, 2022
Additional Document Mailed USPS Priority International: November 29, 2022
Additional Document Tracking -Mail received in Balbriggan: December 10, 2022
Application back with Team; January 5, 2023
Mailing Address Confirmation email received and sent: January 5, 2023
Congratulations email: TBD
FBR Certificate Received: TBD

I was told a week ago by my email contact at FBR that I am approved however the process as a whole may take up to 4 working weeks, but due to the complex nature of FBR I unfortunately cannot provide you with an exact time frame. There are significant delays in printing due to the large volume of applications.