ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by teranos » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi lads,

I am applying the FBR for my child .

How i am bit confused because i got the form FB1A and it says :

Application by a person aged 18 years and upwards who wishes to become an Irish Citizen by the
registration process laid down in Section 27 of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956, as
amended.

Not sure if the same form is for minor and adults ? i have search online not much info anyone could share a thought or experience here?

Cheers

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:45 pm

Solved . Please ignore the message above . I selected something wrong to test the process .

Cheers

EK29259
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by EK29259 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:36 am

Will the 9 month application get shorter? Obviously over the last year the processing time has reduced rapidly and due to my complicated last application (family issues and being -18) it might just be easier to re apply once i turn 18 and i was just wondering whether it would be shorter processing time in the next year or if it would keep at the 9 months it is now. Any info would be great, thank you :)

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:47 am

EK29259 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:36 am
due to my complicated last application (family issues and being -18) it might just be easier to re apply once i turn 18
I wouldn't encourage that. You applied once so the process is on its wheels, while reapplication put it at the beginning (if not make your other application invalid).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

ciscokid
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ciscokid » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:41 am

ciscokid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:46 am
Just thought I would add in my timelines for interest sake.
I am a South African and have an Irish Passport through the FBR my Mum did for me back in '86
My 2 daughters were born in the UK and we moved back to SA in 2010.
With Brexit I decided to apply for the FBR for both of them - Basically to give them options when they leave home (and perhaps to be able register their children when the time comes)

My time lines are:

Online Application Completed (for both) 30th June 2021
(Could not send physical documents as FBR was closed due to Covid Restrictions)

Physical Documents sent to FBR Department Ireland 15th August 2022
Documents Received by FBR Department Ireland 22nd August 2022
Address confirmation from FBR 15th May 2023
Congrats email (Still Waiting)

I have not been asked to submit any further documentation, so holding thumbs :)

I see people who submitted after me have received their congrats emails so convincing myself that I had to submit for 2 mine is taking a little longer :D
Final update:
Happy days !! have just collected the FBR for my 2 daughters yesterday from the Irish Embassy in Pretoria.
An interesting note is that I never received a congratulatory e-mail as expected (did check all email plus spam etc) but did receive an email on July 7 saying that I had documents ready for collection at the Embassy.
So my timelines are as follows for those interested:

Online Application Completed (for both) 30th June 2021
(Could not send physical documents as FBR was closed due to Covid Restrictions)

Physical Documents sent to FBR Department Ireland 15th August 2022
Documents Received by FBR Department Ireland 22nd August 2022
Address confirmation from FBR 15th May 2023
Congrats email: Did not receive
FBR Certificates arrived 7 July 2023

Very pleased that the process has been cut down from 2 years to 11 months.
Online passport applications have begun :)

kiladre-sw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kiladre-sw » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:44 pm

Congrats to the 2022 applicants getting their acceptance. Though as a 2020 applicant starting to feel discouraged. Are there any other 2020 applicants still waiting? Misery loves company…

FairyPurple1
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by FairyPurple1 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:50 pm

Hello

So we just got confirmation of FBR registration.

We were wondering if we can travel in Ireland or the UK and then apply for the passport from Ireland or the UK?

South Africans can travel to Ireland 30 days visa free.
We do have current visitors visas for the UK.

I hope that makes sense

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:34 pm

It looks like applying online is the best way. The other way is to just mail everything in, takes longer.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-app ... -passport/

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:40 pm

FairyPurple1 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:50 pm
Hello
We were wondering if we can travel in Ireland or the UK and then apply for the passport from Ireland or the UK?
I hope that makes sense
You can apply from anywhere online but I doubt you will have a secure address linked to your name while on holiday to recieve important passport documents by post.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:43 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:40 pm
FairyPurple1 wrote:
Hello
I hope that makes sense
You can apply from anywhere online but I doubt you will have a secure address linked to your name while on holiday to recieve important passport documents by post. Or if you mean to physically post your documents while in Ireland to miss some of the international mailing rigmarole...... Maybe.

Runrig
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Runrig » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 pm

Someone in the Facebook group with a January 2023 application date just got their congratulations email :-(

Seems like a bit of a lottery
kiladre-sw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:44 pm
Congrats to the 2022 applicants getting their acceptance. Though as a 2020 applicant starting to feel discouraged. Are there any other 2020 applicants still waiting? Misery loves company…

Runrig
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Runrig » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 pm

Someone in the Facebook group with a January 2023 application date just got their congratulations email :-(

Seems like a bit of a lottery
kiladre-sw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:44 pm

FairyPurple1
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by FairyPurple1 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:58 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:43 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:40 pm
FairyPurple1 wrote:
Hello
I hope that makes sense
You can apply from anywhere online but I doubt you will have a secure address linked to your name while on holiday to recieve important passport documents by post. Or if you mean to physically post your documents while in Ireland to miss some of the international mailing rigmarole...... Maybe.
We do have an address that we will be staying at, it will be our permanent address for the first while we are in the UK. I'm wondering though if you have to provide proof of address in the application verse where the passport will be sent. I'm not sure what is all required as you need your FBR details to apply for the passport.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:04 am

FairyPurple1 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:58 am
We do have an address that we will be staying at, it will be our permanent address for the first while we are in the UK. I'm wondering though if you have to provide proof of address in the application verse where the passport will be sent. I'm not sure what is all required as you need your FBR details to apply for the passport.
I see. Yes proof of address from utility bills/government correspondence is required with first time applications because that is where your documents will be sent.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:56 am

kiladre-sw wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:10 am
Timeline
-------------
Application submission: 13/12/2020
Sent documents mid January 2021
Received email on 24/11/2022 from J***.M****@dfa.ie (don't know if I'm allowed to post names) titled Clarification Required [my fbr application number]
Dear [my name],
I have received your application to obtain Irish Citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register. Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

We require a new witness form as we were unable to verify the witness who signed this form. Please ensure you are only signing your application with a supported witness in the provided list of your FBR application and ensure we will be able to verify the witness.

Please also submit photographic identification of yourself and of your mother as both have been certified by the same invalid witness therefore we cannot verify as a true copy of the document.

We can accept a certified copy of a drivers license or passport once it has been certified by your new witness as we cannot proceed with the others as they've also been certified by an invalid witness.

While submitting these documents, please also submit additional proof of address to reconfirm the current address you are living in and in which you wish for your documents to be dispatched to.

Kind Regards
J***
On 25/11/2022 sent reply email to j***.m****@dfa.ie explaining that the witness I used was a valid notary public with the state of California - USA. During the almost 2 year gap between my application and receiving this first response the notary's commission number had changed. I explained a method for how to verify the notary via our state's government website. I also explained that I would not be able to obtain new documentation for my mother as I had gone 'no contact'.

On 27/11/2022 sent a reply followup to j***.m****@dfa.ie providing just a little bit more information I thought might be valueable.

Never received any reply from either of these emails.

Bundled up what additional/updated documentation I could get together and mailed it mid January 2023. Received automated email "Application for Foreign Birth Registration [my original fbr number] received" on 30/1/2023. I took this to me they received my updated documents and applied it to my original fbr as I had sent it with the original fbr number.

Sent an email to fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie on 24/3/2023 explaining that I had not heard anything back from j***.m****@dfa.ie and if it would be possible to receive an update.

Never received any reply.

So, in 2.5years I've received a total of 1 email from the dfa.ie and no additional information, my documents haven't been returned, and I'm just sitting in limbo.

I really hope that request for updated documents doesn't put me at the bottom of a pile somewhere.
Well this is a sticky situation. Quoting for visibility. Maybe others can provide advice.

One thing I've learned over my time here is that the FBR folks are not good about responding to email. It's unclear if they even read them, apart from the "address confirmation" emails.

They are always on guard for fraud, and I get the feeling that this application triggered a bunch of red flags. And when they asked you to do certain things to address the red flags, you weren't able to?

Sounds like they asked for:
- new witness form
- new ID for you (with new witness)
- new ID for your mother (with new witness)
- new proof of address for you

What did you send?

kiladre-sw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kiladre-sw » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:56 am
kiladre-sw wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:10 am
Timeline
-------------
Application submission: 13/12/2020
Sent documents mid January 2021
Received email on 24/11/2022 from J***.M****@dfa.ie (don't know if I'm allowed to post names) titled Clarification Required [my fbr application number]
Dear [my name],
I have received your application to obtain Irish Citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register. Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

We require a new witness form as we were unable to verify the witness who signed this form. Please ensure you are only signing your application with a supported witness in the provided list of your FBR application and ensure we will be able to verify the witness.

Please also submit photographic identification of yourself and of your mother as both have been certified by the same invalid witness therefore we cannot verify as a true copy of the document.

We can accept a certified copy of a drivers license or passport once it has been certified by your new witness as we cannot proceed with the others as they've also been certified by an invalid witness.

While submitting these documents, please also submit additional proof of address to reconfirm the current address you are living in and in which you wish for your documents to be dispatched to.

Kind Regards
J***
On 25/11/2022 sent reply email to j***.m****@dfa.ie explaining that the witness I used was a valid notary public with the state of California - USA. During the almost 2 year gap between my application and receiving this first response the notary's commission number had changed. I explained a method for how to verify the notary via our state's government website. I also explained that I would not be able to obtain new documentation for my mother as I had gone 'no contact'.

On 27/11/2022 sent a reply followup to j***.m****@dfa.ie providing just a little bit more information I thought might be valueable.

Never received any reply from either of these emails.

Bundled up what additional/updated documentation I could get together and mailed it mid January 2023. Received automated email "Application for Foreign Birth Registration [my original fbr number] received" on 30/1/2023. I took this to me they received my updated documents and applied it to my original fbr as I had sent it with the original fbr number.

Sent an email to fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie on 24/3/2023 explaining that I had not heard anything back from j***.m****@dfa.ie and if it would be possible to receive an update.

Never received any reply.

So, in 2.5years I've received a total of 1 email from the dfa.ie and no additional information, my documents haven't been returned, and I'm just sitting in limbo.

I really hope that request for updated documents doesn't put me at the bottom of a pile somewhere.
Well this is a sticky situation. Quoting for visibility. Maybe others can provide advice.

One thing I've learned over my time here is that the FBR folks are not good about responding to email. It's unclear if they even read them, apart from the "address confirmation" emails.

They are always on guard for fraud, and I get the feeling that this application triggered a bunch of red flags. And when they asked you to do certain things to address the red flags, you weren't able to?

Sounds like they asked for:
- new witness form
- new ID for you (with new witness)
- new ID for your mother (with new witness)
- new proof of address for you

What did you send?
GoingBackBackToEire thank you for quoting my original post for visibility, I appreciate it!
As for what I sent:
  • Filled out new form, but replaced the new form number with my original application number as I wasn't doing a fresh application but a request for new documents.
  • Updated passport sized photographs stamped, signed, date by notary.
  • Updated proof of address.
  • Copies of correspondence that I had sent digitally
What I did not include is updated ID for mother as that is not something I can obtain anymore. As I mentioned both in the documentation I sent and in the post I have gone no contact with my mother. Recently I even had a C&D delivered on my behalf.
All I have received was the automated email saying my documents had been received with the original application number attached.

I still just have fingers crossed that my application will be processed as I have seen other posts about individuals getting their applications approved even when being estranged from the parent or grandparent they are filing under. The lack of communication is disheartening though.

MrsMary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by MrsMary » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:17 pm

Does anyone know if additional documents request come before or after address check?

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:33 pm

Address check email means you are home free, next step is the certificate granted email will arriving in around a month

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:38 pm

MrsMary wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:17 pm
Does anyone know if additional documents request come before or after address check?
I received additional documents request in the same email with address check at the same time. But usually it is document request first.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:42 pm

kiladre-sw wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm
What I did not include is updated ID for mother as that is not something I can obtain anymore. As I mentioned both in the documentation I sent and in the post I have gone no contact with my mother. Recently I even had a C&D delivered on my behalf.
I still just have fingers crossed that my application will be processed as I have seen other posts about individuals getting their applications approved even when being estranged from the parent or grandparent they are filing under. The lack of communication is disheartening though.
They will require you to send them an "Affidavit of parental estrangement" in place of ID. Signed/witnessed by a Notary or solicitor.

kiladre-sw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kiladre-sw » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:09 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:42 pm
kiladre-sw wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm
They will require you to send them an "Affidavit of parental estrangement" in place of ID. Signed/witnessed by a Notary or solicitor.
I have seen that mentioned before. If that is what they require I will happily try to obtain that document for them, but until they send me further correspondence I'm just in limbo waiting.

TTYW
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTYW » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:01 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:38 pm
MrsMary wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:17 pm
I received additional documents request in the same email with address check at the same time. But usually it is document request first.
I just received my additional documents request (a divorce decree absolute for the grandparent I’m applying for), along with a question asking if I have changed address to inform them, so I’m assuming I’m getting the address check simultaneously to the additional documents requests and everything else is okay. My current time frame is:

Documents sent: 23/09/22
Documents received: 03/10/22
Additional docs and address check: 15/07/23

Am hoping to get the additional documents and send them over to them in the next week and will update on here when I get (hopefully) a congratulations email!

ronaldbutterbean
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by ronaldbutterbean » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:51 am

Unfortunately you will most likely be put on the additional document line which will be at least 4 more months maybe more

Runrig
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Runrig » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:56 am

More like 6 to 9 months or even longer :-(
ronaldbutterbean wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:51 am
Unfortunately you will most likely be put on the additional document line which will be at least 4 more months maybe more

Runrig
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Runrig » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:57 am

More like 6 to 9 months or even longer :-(
ronaldbutterbean wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:51 am