ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Freelance Worker - Self Employed - How to pass receipts?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nobasil
Newly Registered

Freelance Worker - Self Employed - How to pass receipts?

Post by nobasil » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:56 pm

Being from the US, I thought that working in Portugal would be totally complicated, but it wasn't. The treasury here and the border control police are not really connected. All I had to do was get a Contribution Card (cartão de contribuinite) and open activity at the treasury where they gave me a book of receipts (recibos verdes). No one asked about residence status. I work as a freelance sound engineer for Portuguese clients and write receipts when people need them.

Obviously I am working in a gray legal area. Is the situation similar in Ireland?
Thanks for any info!
Last edited by nobasil on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Freelance Worker - Self Employed - How to pass receipts?

Post by Dawie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 am

nobasil wrote:Being from the US, I thought that to be able to work in Portugal would be totally complicated, but it wasn't. The treasury here and the border control police are not really connected. All I had to do was get a Contribution Card (cartão de contribuinite) and open activity at the treasury where they gave me a book of receipts (recibos verdes). Never asked about residence status. I work as a freelance sound engineer and write receipts when people need them.

Obviously this is sort of I am working in a gray legal area. Is the situation similar in Ireland?
Thanks for any info!
There's no grey area, what you did in Portugal and would like to do in Ireland is completely 100% illegal. Working without permission from the immigration authorities is illegal in any EU country if you are a non-EU citizen.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 am

I guess it might be illegal because he was earning money from portuguese clients. I guess it might be a different situation if he was living in the E.U and doing work online for american clients in the U.S as an online stock trader.