ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen or EU citizen????

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kevarms
Newly Registered

Irish citizen or EU citizen????

Post by kevarms » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:33 pm

Since I am entitled to Irish citizenship (my mum was born here ), would it have been easier for me to go that route rather than EU-1?

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:48 pm

AFAIK it currently takes 4-5 years to get Irish citizenship. A colleague of mine applied and he is curently in waiting year 3 and was recently told that he should expect to be waiting for at least another 18 months.

I think even the EU1 route will be quicker in the end. :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm

dsab85 wrote:AFAIK it currently takes 4-5 years to get Irish citizenship.
If his mother was born in Ireland, then he is automatically an Irish citizen. He only needs to apply for an Irish passport. Any children he has can be registered as Irish citizens by descent.

Your information is referring to naturalisation and does not apply in this case.

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:10 am

JAJ, You are quite right. I'm not just entitled, I already AM an Irish citizen :?

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000041

I'm not sure how this affects my EU-1 app

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 am

You should just apply for an Irish passport (and then write your MP and the Minister regarding the awful EU1 situation?).

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am

kevarms wrote:JAJ, You are quite right. I'm not just entitled, I already AM an Irish citizen :?

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000041

I'm not sure how this affects my EU-1 app
If you have not lived in another EU/EEA state previously, then you should avoid the EU route as they are currently refusing all of these applications.

Use your Irish citizenship and apply for your wife under the domestic Irish immigration rules. You may need an Irish passport to prove your citizenship.

Does your wife want to become an Irish citizen in due course? (she may lose her Japanese citizenship if so)