ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship --- Indian passport surrender - when ?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GIGPH
Ireland

Irish citizenship --- Indian passport surrender - when ?

Post by GIGPH » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi Guys

I am about to get Naturalisation cert (Fingers crossed :) )

A couple of questions :
1. After getting Naturalisation certificate - while applying for Irish passport - do we have to surrender Indian passport first or we can surrender Indian passport AFTER getting Irish passport ?
2. After getting Irish passport within how many days we have to surrender Indian passport ?
3. What is the current processing time for First time Irish passports (online application) despite Level 5 restrictions ?

please help.

Best Regards
GIG

Stanina
Ireland

Re: Irish citizenship --- Indian passport surrender - when ?

Post by Stanina » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm

1. After getting Naturalisation certificate - while applying for Irish passport - do we have to surrender Indian passport first or we can surrender Indian passport AFTER getting Irish passport ?
you can do it after you receive Irish passport. There are no hard checks

i]2. After getting Irish passport within how many days we have to surrender Indian passport ?[/i]
It is more for Indian laws requirement from Irish perspective it is on to you and your original citizenship countries laws

3. What is the current processing time for First time Irish passports (online application) despite Level 5 restrictions ?
You can only feel the form at L5, you ca not send passport till L4. They say on website after they open up at L4 it will be 6-8 weeks delays in receiving it. I think after previous L5 freeze some people waited 12 weeks and more.

nojoyfrominis

Post by nojoyfrominis » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 am

From Indian embassy website

Renunciation of Indian Nationality: Renunciation of Indian nationality is irrevocable and due care must be exercised in making an application for renunciation. On acquisition of foreign citizenship all Indian nationals included Minors should renounce the Indian citizenship.
Fee: Fee for renunciation of Indian citizenship is €145 + €2 in two separate postal orders/bank drafts.
Penalty time: Penalty would be imposed if a person (including a minor) after acquisition of foreign nationality retains the Indian passport beyond three years or travels on it beyond the grace period of three months, on a passport whose final validity expired on or after 01/01/2005.
Fines would be imposed at the following rates:

Retention of the Indian passport beyond the grace period - Rs. 10,000/- (equivalent in local currency),
For each travel - Rs 10,000 (equivalent in local currency) subject to a maximum of 5 travels,
If the Indian passport got re-issued (after obtaining foreign citizenship/passport), an additional fine of Rs 25,000/- (equivalent in local currency) would be charged.
Applications are to be made to the Embassy of India, Dublin renunciation of your Indian citizenship.
After you receive your Irish passport, you may apply for a Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Certificate.

nojoyfrominis

Post by nojoyfrominis » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:51 am

So you have three years to surrender but travelling is allowed for upto three months of Irish certificate date

GIGPH
Ireland

Post by GIGPH » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Stanina wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 pm
you can do it after you receive Irish passport. There are no hard checks

i]2. After getting Irish passport within how many days we have to surrender Indian passport ?[/i]
It is more for Indian laws requirement from Irish perspective it is on to you and your original citizenship countries laws

You can only feel the form at L5, you ca not send passport till L4. They say on website after they open up at L4 it will be 6-8 weeks delays in receiving it. I think after previous L5 freeze some people waited 12 weeks and more.
I read that while applying for Irish passport (First time applicants by Naturalization) - we have to submit the Birth certificate and Native country (India) passport to DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) . My query is - do they return Native country's passport or cancel it ?

GIG

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 pm

Ireland recognises dual citizenship. It will not cancel your other passport.