ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Join family Visa for non EEA spouse to Irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Daisies
Ireland

Join family Visa for non EEA spouse to Irish citizen

Post by Daisies » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Background: I'm Irish, my husband is Malawian. Our original plan was to live in the UK under the EEA family permit, which we currently are doing. However I got a job offer, for my dream job that I have been working towards for over 2 years, a week before he was due to join me in the UK.
We managed to submit a Long stay Join family visa application in Malawi before he left and I managed to push my start date back slightly. However, I am due to start my job in Limerick at the start of December and I know the join family visa applications can take up to 6 months to process.
Has anyone had any luck with them being processed more quickly?
Am I right in thinking our only option is for him to return to Malawi until the visa is processed?

Thanks in advance

Aysha2018
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Join family Visa for non EEA spouse to Irish citizen

Post by Aysha2018 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm

It took five months exactly on a decision for our join spouse visa, we applied in June and got our result last week.

Daisies
Ireland

Post by Daisies » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Oh congrats. Hopefully ours will be prompt too

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Daisies wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm
Background: I'm Irish, my husband is Malawian. Our original plan was to live in the UK under the EEA family permit, which we currently are doing. However I got a job offer, for my dream job that I have been working towards for over 2 years, a week before he was due to join me in the UK.
We managed to submit a Long stay Join family visa application in Malawi before he left and I managed to push my start date back slightly. However, I am due to start my job in Limerick at the start of December and I know the join family visa applications can take up to 6 months to process.
Am I right in thinking our only option is for him to return to Malawi until the visa is processed?

Thanks in advance
Hard to tell really, some applications are processed within 6 months and others are taking way longer than that. The fact that he has a EU family permit will certainly help his case.

If you are leaving the UK soon to move to Ireland then my recommendation would be for him to go back to Malawi and wait there until his Irish visa is processed, technically the moment you leave the UK for Ireland he has no right to be there.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Daisies
Ireland

Post by Daisies » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:12 pm

max307 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm
Daisies wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks in advance
Hard to tell really, some applications are processed within 6 months and others are taking way longer than that. The fact that he has a EU family permit will certainly help his case.

If you are leaving the UK soon to move to Ireland then my recommendation would be for him to go back to Malawi and wait there until his Irish visa is processed, technically the moment you leave the UK for Ireland he has no right to be there.
Thanks that's what I was thinking. I was just wondering if anyone knew otherwise.

Daisies
Ireland

Post by Daisies » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Got an email this morning saying the visa has been approved. 2 months to the day after submitting it!