ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving Ireland with a Turkish ID card dual citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DavidBritain
Newly Registered

Leaving Ireland with a Turkish ID card dual citizenship

Post by DavidBritain » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:57 pm

I’m a uk citizen and a Turkish citizen at some point this year after corona I’m going to be travelling to Istanbul from Dublin my Turkish ID card is in a different last name to my uk passport so there will be no record of me entering Ireland as a Turkish citizen is this going to cause me any problems as if they look at the PNR it will look like a Turkish citizen with out a visa is leaving Ireland but I don’t need a visa as I’ve got a British passport. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Leaving Ireland with a Turkish ID card dual citizenship

Post by Vorona » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:30 pm

DavidBritain wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:57 pm
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fly to Istanbul directly from UK. Cheaper, faster, and hassle free.
There WILL BE a record of you entering Ireland. Both Turkish and British visitors are subjects to immigration control on arrival in Ireland. Unless you just transit and don't pass through passport control, you don't have a problem to worry about.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:06 am

That is fine provided that you use the British passport to board the flight.

Whether the Turkish authority will accept a Turkish ID card where the name is not on the PNR system, it's really up to the Turkish authority and you need to confirm with them.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:22 am

I thought the same. Ireland won't let them in using Turkish ID card, a proper Turkish passport is required. Therefore problem doesn't even exist as they will have to use the UK passport to enter Ireland and travel further to Turkey if they don't have Turkish passport. I seriously doubt that airline will accept the ID card as valid travel document.

The whole thing is absolutely unnecessary palava to me.

DavidBritain
Newly Registered

Post by DavidBritain » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Thanks for the reply’s sorry I might not have explained the story properly I live in Northern Ireland so it easier for me to drive to Dublin airport and fly from there. Because I’m a Turkish citizen I have to use my passport or ID card to enter turkey flying back to Ireland I will be fine as I will be using my British passport. I’m not worried about the Turkish side as they made me take a Turkish surname when I gained Turkish citizenship so they will have my proper surname/identity on record.my biggest worry is in future flights to turkey the Irish boarder control officer will look at the PNR and wonder how this Turkish citizen keep leaving with no record of arrival.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:36 pm

If someone asks you about it, why can't you explain to them that you used your UK passport to enter Ireland and show them both passports? What exactly is the problem?
Last edited by Vorona on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidBritain
Newly Registered

Post by DavidBritain » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:39 pm

Yeah your probably right one of my friends said it might cause problems but like you said if they do say anything I can just show them my British passport. I’m probably just over thinking it. Thanks for all the reply’s

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:55 pm

Definitely overthinking. You will be absolutely fine.

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:13 pm

DavidBritain wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:49 pm
Thanks for the reply’s sorry I might not have explained the story properly I live in Northern Ireland so it easier for me to drive to Dublin airport and fly from there. Because I’m a Turkish citizen I have to use my passport or ID card to enter turkey flying back to Ireland I will be fine as I will be using my British passport. I’m not worried about the Turkish side as they made me take a Turkish surname when I gained Turkish citizenship so they will have my proper surname/identity on record.my biggest worry is in future flights to turkey the Irish boarder control officer will look at the PNR and wonder how this Turkish citizen keep leaving with no record of arrival.
Hi,

I am in the same situation as yourself. Turkish and UK citizen.

I usually book tickets with my non Turkish name (they changed a "W" to a "V" in my surname). On arrival in Turkey I hand over my Turkish ID and UK passport. I have never had an issue at the Turkish border due to this. Not one question.

It is not your fault the Turkish government do not accept certain letters that are not in the Turkish alphabet when you became a citizen. It is quite common with Dual citizens in Turkish and most border guards are aware of this.