ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage to an EU Citizen and Visas

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

waitwalt
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

Marriage to an EU Citizen and Visas

Post by waitwalt » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 pm

This is my first time participating in a forum, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong
Anyways... I'll be getting my EU citizenship in the next couple of months and me and my significant other are planning on immigrating to Ireland march of next year.
The thing is, he doesn't have an EU citizenship, only I do, so we were thinking of getting married later this year or maybe formalize a stable union since we are together for a dew years now and we both want this, and this would allow him to come live with me as my spouse

So... I wanted to know if this is the right thing to do? Will this help us live together in Ireland or should he get some diferent Visa? Should we do something else? Since I still don't know much about the requirements we need to legaly live in Ireland I might be forgeting something, so I would love to know all the ideas I could use to prepare us for our new lives.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Marriage to an EU Citizen and Visas

Post by Vorona » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 pm

You're not an EU citizen yet, not married, and March of next year is a long time ahead, a lot can change. But in general he will be able to live with you on a basis of being a spouse of EU citizen, provided that you're working here and supporting yourself.
waitwalt wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 pm
I would love to know all the ideas I could use to prepare us for our new lives
Start saving money. You will be grateful for this advice :mrgreen:

waitwalt
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

Post by waitwalt » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 pm

And him being my Spouse would allow him to also work? Or he would only be legally allowed to work after he's got the Residence Card?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 pm

Yes he will be able to work after registering.

user77
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by user77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 am

waitwalt wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 pm
And him being my Spouse would allow him to also work? Or he would only be legally allowed to work after he's got the Residence Card?
after residence card.

waitwalt
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

Post by waitwalt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 am

So, I believe he wont need a visa to enter Ireland and he will be able to stay for 3 months with me. But how can I extend his stay? Do I have to get him a specific visa while we are in Ireland or before we get there? I can't really find much information about this other than to get the residence card, which I'm not sure if we'll be able to get on our first three months in Ireland together, unless I'm missing something