ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving from UK to Ireland with non EU spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sawebs
Newly Registered

Moving from UK to Ireland with non EU spouse

Post by sawebs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi,

My wife is currently in the UK and has recently got her second 2.5 year visa, with the aim of applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain towards the end of 2022.

Now it looks like I might need to move to the Republic of Ireland for personal business reasons.

Does anyone know where that leaves my wife's visa status? As a UK citizen in Ireland am I able to apply for a visa for her to live in Ireland? Does her UK visa have any validity in Ireland in the short or long term?

Thanks,
Simon.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Moving from UK to Ireland with non EU spouse

Post by Vorona » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 pm

Read these:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/jo ... in-ireland
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/policy-d ... ission.pdf

Your wife's UK visa or immigration status in the UK is not valid in Ireland.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:48 pm

Wait until your wife gets ILR. Then, assuming that you are a UK citizen, she can apply directly for naturalisation. Once she is a UK citizen, she can live freely in the UK and in Ireland.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi,

Yes I am a UK citizen. You say "once she is a UK citizen" - she doesn't intend to become a UK citizen, just apply for ILR - does this give the same right to live in Ireland?

If we have to move before that, I assume we have to start the process of visa application for her again in Ireland - is it similar to the UK?

Thanks,
Simon

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:42 pm

ILR is not a valid permission in the Rep. of Ireland. So yes she will need a brand new visa application before she can come into Ireland, regardless of her nationality.

If she is a visa-required national, she will need to apply for a visa called Visa - Join Family (UK national).
If she is a non visa-required national, she will need to apply for a preclearance document called Preclearance – Join Family (UK National).

Either way, the application process is quite similar with just a few small differences. The website is apparently completely different from the UK visa applications (I personally prefer the UK website's look-and-feel), but the questions and documents required are pretty much the same.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:32 am

Thanks!