ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation of spouse of Irish citizen - 3-month address proofs

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Residence proofs for naturalisation

Post by zepman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am

Hi,

My wife will be applying for naturalisation next year based on her marriage to me (I became an Irish citizen by naturalisation earlier this year). We have been married since mid-2012 and she's been living in Ireland since around the same time as well. So she already satisfies the 3-years-of-residence-in-Ireland requirement. However, prior to 2015, she had no documents (bank statements, rent agreement, utility bills, etc) in her name. This is why we will be making the application next year so that the years in consideration will be 2015, 2016 and 2017 which are each covered by 3 different address proofs.

Questions:
1) We initially thought that it would be okay for her to apply in early 2018. But we just realised that the documents from 2015 are all dated around July or later. Does this mean that she will have to wait until mid-2018 to make the application?

2) I am wondering if there's any other way to show proofs of residence to cover the periods before mid-2015. What do spouses who are not employed and/or have no address proofs submit as part of their naturalisation applications?

Tatalo
Ireland

Re: Residence proofs for naturalisation

Post by Tatalo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Regarding Question 2:
You can use - insurance/clinic visits/ letters from GP or anything that has a date, her name, and address.

Good luck.

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Post by zepman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:31 am

Tatalo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm
Regarding Question 2:
You can use - insurance/clinic visits/ letters from GP or anything that has a date, her name, and address.

Good luck.
Thanks, Tatalo. I was aware of that, but she really had no documents in her name prior to 2015 since I was on temporary work contracts until then and we hadn't put down roots here. That's why we had no insurance at the time either. She also never needed to visit a GP in those years.

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Naturalisation of spouse of Irish citizen - 3-month address proofs

Post by zepman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this already been answered on here, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I am a naturalised Irish citizen, and my wife will be applying for naturalisation next month based on her marriage to me.

In this category, the additional documentation to be submitted includes
Copies of three different proofs of residence in the island of Ireland for both applicant and spouse/civil partner for 3 months prior to the date of application showing date and name and current address.
Two questions -

Q1) Does this requirement mean that we need 3 different documents, each covering 1 of the 3 months? Or does it mean that we need 3 different documents, each covering all 3 months?

Q2) Does this require that the documents have both my wife's name and my name together? Or is it okay to submit separate documents all with the same address but with our individual names (3 documents for me, 3 documents for my wife according to the rule above)?

I have emailed Citizenship Info asking these questions but haven't received a reply yet. Is there anyone on here who's applied in this category recently?

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Naturalisation of spouse of Irish citizen - 3-month address proofs

Post by zepman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am

zepman wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm
Hi,

Not sure if this already been answered on here, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I am a naturalised Irish citizen, and my wife will be applying for naturalisation next month based on her marriage to me.

In this category, the additional documentation to be submitted includes
Copies of three different proofs of residence in the island of Ireland for both applicant and spouse/civil partner for 3 months prior to the date of application showing date and name and current address.
Two questions -

Q1) Does this requirement mean that we need 3 different documents, each covering 1 of the 3 months? Or does it mean that we need 3 different documents, each covering all 3 months?

Q2) Does this require that the documents have both my wife's name and my name together? Or is it okay to submit separate documents all with the same address but with our individual names (3 documents for me, 3 documents for my wife according to the rule above)?

I have emailed Citizenship Info asking these questions but haven't received a reply yet. Is there anyone on here who's applied in this category recently?
Just received a reply from Citizenship Info on this. Posting it here as it might be helpful for people who are in the same boat -
Thank you for your email. In accordance with our requirements for
applications made under Section 15A of the Irish Nationality and
Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, you should submit three proofs of
residence for the last three months prior to the date of application e.g.
household bills, bank statements etc., which should include both your and
your spouse's name and address. If you cannot provide this, three proofs of
residence in each name should be provided.

You can submit 3 different documents, each covering 1 of the 3 monthprior
to the date of application or you can submit 3 different documents, each
covering all 3 months

The onus is on the applicant to submit sufficient proofs of residence with
your application.

Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 1

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi guys i have similar issue please i like to know much about my immigration issue here, i am a spouse to EU national from slovakia for 5 years now before she got her naturalization in 2017 as
irish national.
Here is my own problem when i submitted my application i was issued a
temporary 6 months stay and this continue for about 5 to 6 times already until they
stopped my stamp in 2016 due to my EU citizen spouse does not exercise her
right "not working" please is there anything i can do at this stage as it 5
years already.

Thanks.

Grendels
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Grendels » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Maxmath123 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Hi guys i have similar issue please i like to know much about my immigration issue here, i am a spouse to EU national from slovakia for 5 years now before she got her naturalization in 2017 as
irish national.
Here is my own problem when i submitted my application i was issued a
temporary 6 months stay and this continue for about 5 to 6 times already until they
stopped my stamp in 2016 due to my EU citizen spouse does not exercise her
right "not working" please is there anything i can do at this stage as it 5
years already.

Thanks.
How long have you been living in Ireland for? If it is 5 years or longer, do you qualify to apply for naturalisation? The requirements are here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP16000022

If not, as your spouse is now an Irish citizen, perhaps you could apply for permission to remain in Ireland on that basis (stamp 4). The steps to follow are here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Thank you for your reply i really appreciate it a lot, we have been married and living together and still for 5 years now, i think am due to apply for permanent resident but my issue is they have stopped issuing me stamp 4 since Jan 2016, as she's not working and they feel she's not exercising her EU treaty right due to that, but she was granted naturalization in 2017 and got her irish passport now, so what do i need to do now please can i also apply for irish passport as i dont have GNIB stamp at the moment.

Grendels
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Grendels » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 pm

@Maxmath123: Is it like situation B "If you do not have current permission to remain in the State" on this page: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

The website lists several conditions to be met. As you mention your wife is not working, the financial conditions may be relevant for you:
"An Irish citizen, in order to sponsor an immediate family member, must not have been totally or predominantly reliant on benefits from the Irish State for a continuous period in excess of 2 years immediately prior to the application and must over the three year period prior to application have earned a cumulative gross income over and above any State benefits of not less than €40k."
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/im ... nification

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Thank you boss for you kindly reply, i think i will give that EU1 form a try if they can give me stamp 4 and my last question is if am lucky to get stamp 4 again, can i apply for naturalization straight up as we are already 5years in the marriage.

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 pm

What do you think I can do at this stage as she is not working and I have no stamp 4 either even if I want to work what should I do?

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Grendels wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 pm
@Maxmath123: Is it like situation B "If you do not have current permission to remain in the State" on this page: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

The website lists several conditions to be met. As you mention your wife is not working, the financial conditions may be relevant for you:
"An Irish citizen, in order to sponsor an immediate family member, must not have been totally or predominantly reliant on benefits from the Irish State for a continuous period in excess of 2 years immediately prior to the application and must over the three year period prior to application have earned a cumulative gross income over and above any State benefits of not less than €40k."
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/im ... nification
What should I do at this period as she’s not working and I don’t have stamp 4.

Grendels
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Grendels » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Maxmath123 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 pm
What do you think I can do at this stage as she is not working and I have no stamp 4 either even if I want to work what should I do?
Sorry, I am not clear - is your situation A or B from this page? http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Grendels wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm
Maxmath123 wrote:
Sorry, I am not clear - is your situation A or B from this page? http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
I’m in categorie B situation I think, because am in the state already for 6 years and we have been marriage for 5 years already, only they stopped renewing my stamp 4 for 2yrs because She’s not working up until now and she got an Irish passport last year as Irish National. What should I do?.

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jul1 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:21 pm

zepman wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am
Hi,

My wife will be applying for naturalisation next year based on her marriage to me (I became an Irish citizen by naturalisation earlier this year). We have been married since mid-2012 and she's been living in Ireland since around the same time as well. So she already satisfies the 3-years-of-residence-in-Ireland requirement. However, prior to 2015, she had no documents (bank statements, rent agreement, utility bills, etc) in her name. This is why we will be making the application next year so that the years in consideration will be 2015, 2016 and 2017 which are each covered by 3 different address proofs.

Questions:
1) We initially thought that it would be okay for her to apply in early 2018. But we just realised that the documents from 2015 are all dated around July or later. Does this mean that she will have to wait until mid-2018 to make the application?

2) I am wondering if there's any other way to show proofs of residence to cover the periods before mid-2015. What do spouses who are not employed and/or have no address proofs submit as part of their naturalisation applications?

Is not there a rule that you have to be an Irish citizen yourself for at least 3 years before your wife applies for naturalisation based on your marriage?

zepman
Mood:
Ireland

Post by zepman » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am

jul1 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Is not there a rule that you have to be an Irish citizen yourself for at least 3 years before your wife applies for naturalisation based on your marriage?
No, the rule is that you have to be married for at least 3 years. The citizenship of the spouse during that period is irrelevant, as long as the spouse is currently an Irish citizen.

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Maxmath123 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:41 pm
Grendels wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm
Maxmath123 wrote:
I’m in categorie B situation I think, because am in the state already for 6 years and we have been marriage for 5 years already, only they stopped renewing my stamp 4 for 2yrs because She’s not working up until now and she got an Irish passport last year as Irish National. What should I do?.
Could you please tell me what to do pleas.

Grendels
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Grendels » Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm

I think your best bet is to follow the steps for situation B as far as you can. If there is anything you get stuck with, you may consider discussing your situation with a solicitor who is familiar with Irish immigration, so that they can advise you further and make sure you have all your documents and other requirements in order.

Maxmath123
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by Maxmath123 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Grendels wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm
I think your best bet is to follow the steps for situation B as far as you can. If there is anything you get stuck with, you may consider discussing your situation with a solicitor who is familiar with Irish immigration, so that they can advise you further and make sure you have all your documents and other requirements in order.
Thank you so much for your help really appreciate.