ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No surname on Indian passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vivek_123
Newly Registered
Ireland

No surname on Indian passport

Post by vivek_123 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:12 pm

Hello,

The forum has been very helpful to me like for so many others like me, over the years ... I have one query though, which haven't been able to get answer to ...

my wife holds Indian passport, but does not have surname on same ... she does not have surname, as it is optional in India ... all her documents in Ireland (GNIB/IRP cards, driving license, bank accounts, etc) have her surname same as first name ... i.e. they all have (not real) first name 'XYZ' and surname 'XYZ' as well for her ...

She has recently become eligible to apply for her naturalization ... but while looking at relevant form 8, the first section itself, is asking for:

1.1) Surname, as shown in passport
1.2) Forename, as shown in passport
1.3) Previous names
1.4) Reason for changing name
1.5) Date of name change

We are though not sure, how to fill these details for her, except field 1.2 (forename) ... requesting to please provide any pointers or suggestion on how to fill up these details ..

Thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: No surname on Indian passport

Post by Vorona » Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm

Use the official birth certificate.
If there is no surname on the birth certificate ( :shock: ) then ask relevant authority in India or embassy to have a surname added to the passport and birth certificate or to confirm that she indeed does not have any surname. Otherwise she will have to have her first name as her last name. If she is ok about it and it's not going to cause any problems in the future then leave it as it is.

vivek_123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by vivek_123 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks Vorona ... her birth certificate doesn't have surname either ...

She is quite fine with her surname being same as first name as she has been using same in all official documents here ... in the application form though, if we fill it like:

1.1) Surname, as shown in passport ... leave blank
1.2) Forename, as shown in passport ... XYZ
1.3) Previous names ... leave blank
1.4) Reason for changing name ... leave blank
1.5) Date of name change ... leave blank

the thing am not sure of is, would leaving Surname blank in application form lead to same being rejected, etc, as it is mandatory to have it here in all Irish official documents ...

Thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon May 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Write "not applicable" as the surname.
Just because her first name is used instead of her last name it does not mean that it's now her official surname. She still does not have one.

All questions on the form must be answered, if it does not apply, answer "not applicable".