ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA university researcher and future career prospects in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

miha9759
Newly Registered
Guatemala

Non-EEA university researcher and future career prospects in Ireland

Post by miha9759 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a Guatemalan citizen and I just got offered a two-year research position (post-doc) at a university in Ireland.
I was told that during my stay as a researcher I will be provided with a Stamp 1.

I was wondering what my immigration status would look like after those two years. I've heard that one could apply for a Stamp 4 after doing two years of research but I don't know much else.

How much would it cost to get Stamp 1/Stamp 4?

After I finish those two years in uni I would like to transition into the private sector. I am a civil engineer and I was surprised to find out that civil engineering is one of the many categories of ineligible employment for foreign workers.

What would I need to do in order to be able to work as a civil engineer in Ireland?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Non-EEA university researcher and future career prospects in Ireland

Post by littlerr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 am

You will be given a Stamp 4 if you work under a valid Hosting Agreement for 2 years.

There is no cost to obtain Stamp 4. However, you will need to register yourself with INIS every year for the first 2 years of Stamp 1, and then every 2 years after the first 2 years. The registration fee is 300 EUR. If you are from a visa-required nation, there is also a 100 EUR fee for multiple re-entry visa.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/re ... mps#stamp4

You can apply for any job, including civil engineering technician, once you obtain Stamp 4.
However, this industry has already got more people than needed, which is why it is on the ineligible job list.