ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non eu wife moving to Republic from Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

honda99
Newly Registered
Ireland

Non eu wife moving to Republic from Northern Ireland

Post by honda99 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi,

My Non-EU wife has been living with me in Northern Ireland for 2 years, she has uk pre-settled status which expires 2024, she is a visa requied national for Ireland, I am an Irish citizen.

My wife is now pregnant and due to have baby in july which she will have in Belfast, after having the baby we are thinking of moving down to the republic where i'm from as i have a house there and the plan was to eventually move there when she got Irish citizenship,

With Irish citizenship looking like it could take many years what would happen if my wife and i and baby travel down to the republic to live? can she apply for a stamp to live legally in the republic? we just intent to travel by road and as there is no border what would our next steps be?

Any info would be appreicated.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Non eu wife moving to Republic from Northern Ireland

Post by littlerr » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 am

As she is a visa-required national, she needs to apply for a Type D Join Family visa before she can come here. As part of the process, you will need to present proof that you meet the financial requirement and would be able to support you two without accessing public resources. Once she has the visa and comes to Ireland, she will be able to apply for a Stamp 4 right away which will allow her to do any work in Ireland.

If she comes to Ireland without a visa, she will be treated as illegal immigrant and although she can still apply for a Stamp 4, she will have to fill a formal application to SOIN unit, which would usually take a year to process without COVID. With the current restrictions it will take much longer. It’s also very likely that she will not be able to leave the country and come back, or have permission to do any paid work during the period.

honda99
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by honda99 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:50 am

littlerr wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 am
As she is a visa-required national, she needs to apply for a Type D Join Family visa before she can come here. As part of the process, you will need to present proof that you meet the financial requirement and would be able to support you two without accessing public resources. Once she has the visa and comes to Ireland, she will be able to apply for a Stamp 4 right away which will allow her to do any work in Ireland.

If she comes to Ireland without a visa, she will be treated as illegal immigrant and although she can still apply for a Stamp 4, she will have to fill a formal application to SOIN unit, which would usually take a year to process without COVID. With the current restrictions it will take much longer. It’s also very likely that she will not be able to leave the country and come back, or have permission to do any paid work during the period.
Thanks for your reply,

I think our best option will be to come without a visa and then do a formal application to SOIN unit, as my wife will be looking after a very young baby she will not be interested in any kinds of work for the foreseeable future as i will be fully supporting everything, so really it doesn't matter how long the application will take,

Looked at the Type D join family visa which seems like could take many months for a decision and a lot of red tape, we will take our chances and cross into the republic, i'm sure at the end of the day they can't deport her with a new born baby.

Thanks.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 am

The UK was once a memberstate until brexit, i wonder how the court will interpret Surinder Singh in these circumstances.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors