ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Card Travel

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

NF13
Ireland

Passport Card Travel

Post by NF13 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:12 pm

Hi,

Can the Irish passport card be used coming to the UK from an EU country? Can pass the auto gate at LHR?

Thanks for your kind answer.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Passport Card Travel

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:19 pm

NF13 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:12 pm
Can the Irish passport card be used coming to the UK from an EU country?
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great- ... sportcard/
Your Passport Card is valid for travel to the United Kingdom, all EU Member States (including Ireland), the members of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway), and Switzerland.
It should be.
NF13 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:12 pm
Can pass the auto gate at LHR?
Judging by post2086347.html#p2086347, no.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm

Passport card is accepted but there are plenty of ignorant staff who would give you a hard time when travelling with it.

I have been asked to produce a passport book when I presented the passport card when I travelled from Finland and Netherlands to Ireland in recent years. This January it took the staff at Amsterdam Airport almost 20 minutes and a dozen phone calls to confirm that the passport card can be used.

UK never accepted identity cards on any of their eGates.

corky100

Post by corky100 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:17 pm

Passport Card is perfectly valid to enter the UK on......but many people don't know that. It's an exception to the UK 'No ID Card Rule', along with a Red Gibraltar ID. Hence the confusion.

I used it recently through CDG just to see if it worked etc.....I laughed as it put me straight in the "All Passports" manual inspection queue as people in the UK/USA/CAN e-gate line flew straight through. Generally e-gates don't accept ID cards with some exceptions. But even the French manual check took three attempts, changing the orientation of the card, to scan it.

It's described by the DFA as a backup option, which is the right way of looking at it.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:23 pm

I have used my passport card to travel around the UK and EU. Must have been at least 30-40 trips in the last few years. I have never been questioned by border staff, but airline staff can sometimes be annoying (and ignorant), so just be prepared to argue your way and that’s about it.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:14 pm

I always use my card on all trips to and from the EU/Schengen/UK, and I noticed that airline employees have become more familiar with it over time. They do occasionally ask me to show a passport, specifically Wizzair and Ryanair, and I reply that this is a passport since it has a word "passport" on it and that's typically enough for them. Only use my regular passport for non-EU/UK trips.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm

Vorona wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:14 pm
I always use my card on all trips to and from the EU/Schengen/UK, and I noticed that airline employees have become more familiar with it over time. They do occasionally ask me to show a passport, specifically Wizzair and Ryanair, and I reply that this is a passport since it has a word "passport" on it and that's typically enough for them. Only use my regular passport for non-EU/UK trips.
Does EU gates accept Irish passport card for entry/exit thou?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:41 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm
All EU countries accept Irish passport cards.

I guess your question is whether passport cards are accepted at eGates? No. Holders of national ID cards (passport cards included) cannot use the eGates in most if not all countries.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:44 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:41 pm
mentalmind wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm
All EU countries accept Irish passport cards.

I guess your question is whether passport cards are accepted at eGates? No. Holders of national ID cards (passport cards included) cannot use the eGates in most if not all countries.
Yes my question was about eGates, sorry still new to this concept :mrgreen:

corky100

Post by corky100 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:56 pm

If you have any problems with it at the gate etc, bookmark this on your phone and show them:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-th ... ss-citizen

"British citizens can continue to use a Gibraltar identity card to travel to the UK.

Irish citizens can continue to use a passport card to travel to the UK."

I've only used it for one trip, but I'll stick with passport from now on. No manual checks or hassle with airline staff.

I did use the passport card leaving the UK, Easyjet were fine with it.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:26 am

Hi,

If I travel to the USA with a NON-EU passport and when arriving at LHR - Can I show my Irish passport card to UK border control - Is this ok?

I assumed E-Gates are still not able to use an Irish Passport card.

Thanks

corky100

Post by corky100 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:37 am

You're overthinking here :D.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:15 am

NF13 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:26 am
Hi,

If I travel to the USA with a NON-EU passport and when arriving at LHR - Can I show my Irish passport card to UK border control - Is this ok?

I assumed E-Gates are still not able to use an Irish Passport card.

Thanks
There is no border control in any UK airport when you travel from Ireland to the UK.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:05 am

Hi,

I am going to the USA and my flight will land at Heathrow and overnight there for a few days before travel back to Ireland. I have to go through border control when I land in the UK from the USA.

I plan to take my non-EU passport and Irish Passport Card.

Can I use my Irish passport card? Are E-gates at Heathrow not accepting Irish Passport cards?

Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:16 am

NF13 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:05 am
Hi,

I am going to the USA and my flight will land at Heathrow and overnight there for a few days before travel back to Ireland. I have to go through border control when I land in the UK from the USA.

I plan to take my non-EU passport and Irish Passport Card.

Can I use my Irish passport card? Are E-gates at Heathrow not accepting Irish Passport cards?

Thanks
Don't think any E-gates accept passport card.
You can use passport card as a travel document, but you'd have to deal with a person to go through.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:37 pm

If you use your non-EU passport to check in for the flight from the US to the UK, you must present that passport to the UK immigration. You can present both the non-EU passport and the Irish passport card so that you can be admitted more quickly.

If you need a visa to travel to the UK on your non-EU passport, you need to apply for one. Otherwise the airline will not allow you to board the plane, even if you have an Irish passport card.

As mentioned before, most if not all e-Gates in the UK/EU/EEA accept passport books only.

NFH5
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by NFH5 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:46 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:37 pm
If you need a visa to travel to the UK on your non-EU passport, you need to apply for one. Otherwise the airline will not allow you to board the plane, even if you have an Irish passport card.
This is not true. Timatic, the IATA system used by airlines to check travel documents' validity for a flight, confirms that an Irish passport card is valid for entry to the United Kingdom when flying from the United States. Its lack of validity in the United States is irrelevant with respect to its validity for entry to the United Kingdom. If a UK or EU airline denies boarding in such a scenario, you could claim £520/€600 of UK261/EU261 compensation as well as replacement flights and hotel etc.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:16 pm

NFH5 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:46 pm
littlerr wrote:
This is not true. Timatic, the IATA system used by airlines to check travel documents' validity for a flight, confirms that an Irish passport card is valid for entry to the United Kingdom when flying from the United States. Its lack of validity in the United States is irrelevant with respect to its validity for entry to the United Kingdom. If a UK or EU airline denies boarding in such a scenario, you could claim £520/€600 of UK261/EU261 compensation as well as replacement flights and hotel etc.
Dude. You are quoting something completely irrelevant. Irish passport cards, along with all EU National ID cards, are NOT valid outside of EEA plus a few selected countries. It will not be accepted in the US, period.

NFH5
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by NFH5 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:40 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:16 pm
NFH5 wrote:
littlerr wrote:
Dude. You are quoting something completely irrelevant. Irish passport cards, along with all EU National ID cards, are NOT valid outside of EEA plus a few selected countries. It will not be accepted in the US, period.
You appear to have misunderstood the purpose of airlines checking passengers' travel documents at the boarding gate. They do so to verify that the travel document is valid for entry to the destination country, not whether it is valid in the country of departure. Other examples are:
  • A dual Algerian/French national flies from Algeria to France, departing Algeria on an Algerian passport and entering France on a French national identity card. The airline checks only that the French national identity card is valid for entry to France, not whether it is valid for entry to Algeria (which it isn't).
  • A dual Chinese/US national flies from the United States to China, departing the United States on a US passport and entering China on a Chinese passport (which has no US visa). The airline checks only that Chinese passport is valid for entry to China, not whether it is valid for entry to the United States (which it isn't because it has no US visa).
This is why airlines use Timatic. They can easily verify the validity of travel documents for entry to the destination country, even unfamiliar ones that might not be valid in the country of departure,

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 pm

NFH5 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:40 pm
littlerr wrote:
NFH5 wrote:
littlerr wrote:
You appear to have misunderstood the purpose of airlines checking passengers' travel documents at the boarding gate. They do so to verify that the travel document is valid for entry to the destination country, not whether it is valid in the country of departure. Other examples are:
  • A dual Algerian/French national flies from Algeria to France, departing Algeria on an Algerian passport and entering France on a French national identity card. The airline checks only that the French national identity card is valid for entry to France, not whether it is valid for entry to Algeria (which it isn't).
  • A dual Chinese/US national flies from the United States to China, departing the United States on a US passport and entering China on a Chinese passport (which has no US visa). The airline checks only that Chinese passport is valid for entry to China, not whether it is valid for entry to the United States (which it isn't because it has no US visa).
This is why airlines use Timatic. They can easily verify the validity of travel documents for entry to the destination country, even unfamiliar ones that might not be valid in the country of departure,
And you seem to have misunderstood the concept of border control. Your examples are purely invalid. There is no such thing as Chinese / American dual national. A US citizen MUST use their American passport to enter and leave the US territory, and anyone who enters or leaves China MUST have either a Chinese passport or a foreign passport with a valid visa or residence permit. Your examples showed that you have never read or understood the border control requirements properly, and I will not engage in further discussions with you until you understand the basic concepts of borders.

NFH5
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by NFH5 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:29 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 pm
NFH5 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:40 pm
littlerr wrote:
NFH5 wrote:
littlerr wrote:
And you seem to have misunderstood the concept of border control. Your examples are purely invalid. There is no such thing as Chinese / American dual national. A US citizen MUST use their American passport to enter and leave the US territory, and anyone who enters or leaves China MUST have either a Chinese passport or a foreign passport with a valid visa or residence permit. Your examples showed that you have never read or understood the border control requirements properly, and I will not engage in further discussions with you until you understand the basic concepts of borders.
You are correct that Chinese/US was a bad example of a dual national, given that China does not recognise or allow multiple citizenships. A better example would be a flight by a dual US/Russian national from the US to Russia (indirectly on Turkish Airlines for example as there are currently no direct flights). The passenger would use his US passport to exit the US, but would then show his Russian passport to Turkish Airlines at the boarding gate in order to board the flight via Turkey to Russia. The Russian passport would not be valid in the US because it would not have a visa, as the passenger has a US passport. This is an example of the travel document for the destination not needing to be valid in the country of departure.

You are confusing border control with airlines' checks of travel documents at the boarding gate. We are not discussing border control here, but pre-boarding checks by airlines that a travel document is valid for the destination country. If the destination is the United Kingdom, then an Irish passport card would satisfy such a check anywhere in the world. Outside Europe, obviously the passenger would need to have shown another travel document at exit border controls in order to leave the country of departure, but border controls are not the topic here.