ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport/citizenship for adoptee

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

steve_
Newly Registered

passport/citizenship for adoptee

Post by steve_ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi, I hope someone here might be able to help me.
Strangely, although it cannot be so uncommon, i cannot find
information on eligibility for Irish citizenship, and/or an
Irish passport for my situation.

I was born in England, and I believe one, if not both my parents
were Irish, they then put me up for adoption in the UK, and i was
adopted by an English couple.

Does being adopted mean I loose any rights from my birth parents
nationality,
or, does it mean I already have a right to Irish citizenship.

I do not have my original birth certificate, but can apply for it.
Obviously it will have my original name from before the adoption,
so this alone would not be sufficient.
So, if I am eligible, what would be the process ?

Any info., or a link to relevant info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

iceice304
Ireland

Re: passport/citizenship for adoptee

Post by iceice304 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi, The valid proof in any state department is the document. If you could get your original birth certificate and can prove to them that your parents or one parent was Irish then obviously you are born Irish. By way of adoption into another country one doesn’t lose the nationality of birth country (need docs though).

cindyd13
Newly Registered

Post by cindyd13 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:50 pm

yes you have to have the paper trail.

I went through this, and in the states, I was finally able to get a copy of my original birth certificate, but it is not a "certified copy" it's for informational purposes only, and it did not have my birth father's name on it.

I had previously found my birth family year earlier, my mother had already passed, but my father, who again was not on my birth certificate, was willing to do a DNA test. We did one that is accepted by US immigration at a cost of around $300, but Ireland immigration would not accept it, they needed to select the company, so we did it again, at a cost of $1,800. UGH.

But Ireland accepted it, and all of my other documentation, birth/death certificates for birth parents etc, and I was able to get my citizenship.

nhaqueoi
Newly Registered

Post by nhaqueoi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:06 pm

This is fascinating for me too.
In my case, I was born in England to an English mother and then given for adoption. In the adoption file there is a reference to the father being Irish, but he was not named on birth certificate. Fast forward to this year and I traced my biological mother and she confirmed who the father was. She had no further contact with him after I was born. He was Irish and born in Dublin. I have lots of details about him. Unfortunately he died in 2008. I've had a DNA test done, which shows 50% Irish/Scottish, plus it has given a direct link to a first cousin (we share a grandfather it appears).

I believe I automatically qualify for Irish citizenship, but how do I prove this? Any help very much appreciated.