ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Processing time went up again for LTR

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ac3340
Newly Registered

Processing time went up again for LTR

Post by ac3340 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:04 pm

The processing time for longterm residency is went up to 14 months(Update is in Inis.gov.ie), This is only official but the processing time will be much more longer, so we all have to wait ......

dont know what to say

regards
:twisted: :evil:

marialear

Post by marialear » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:38 pm

I know! Was talking to them this morning (Sept 17/07) & was told they are processing apps recieved beginning July 2006 (which I'm sure I was told that same date a while ago).

Mine has reached the 14 month wait (when I add up the weeks that it's been in progress).

Thinking of going to their office, stamping my feet & perhaps lying down on the ground kicking & screaming (seems to work for toddlers when they don't get their own way!)

Seriously tho, I am really frustrated & tried of the whole damn process.

M

greentea

Post by greentea » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:56 pm

:? the website is updated almost 2 weeks ago.

came across the article about 30 month backlog of citizenship application and possible reform.
http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 ... y26315.asp

hopefully, they will realize there is another backlog for LTR application! It should be reviewed even before citizenship process.

ac3340
Newly Registered

LTR

Post by ac3340 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:19 am

I think they are delaying the processing of applications in purpose, I mean it doesn’t take more than a hour to find out you are eligible or not, then why does it take too long surely they cant have more than 10000 applications , we have accept the fact that Foreigners are not welcome here , :x

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:20 am

Can i ask a stupid question?

How is LTR different from Stamp 4?

ac3340
Newly Registered

Post by ac3340 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:04 pm

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: LTR

Post by mktsoi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:43 pm

ac3340 wrote:I think they are delaying the processing of applications in purpose, I mean it doesn’t take more than a hour to find out you are eligible or not, then why does it take too long surely they cant have more than 10000 applications , we have accept the fact that Foreigners are not welcome here , :x
you know, the gnib giving out the permission to remain just like the home office in uk give out the permission to remain. if home office can decide on the indefinite leave to remain for uk within a week time. why it takes 14 months to count your passport pages in gnib? like one of the member mentioned in this site here. they might be process one application per day. thats why it took so long!!!!!! OR as you said, they dont want to do it at all. after all, they could just grant the long term residency when the people go into gnib renew their stamp, but they dont want to do that for the foregin people here. you think those guys in the gnib counter doesnt cannot tell each foreign person details in thier computer right inside the gnib? excuses excuses, thats what it is.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:31 pm

mktsoi wrote:
ac3340 wrote:I think they are delaying the processing of applications in purpose, I mean it doesn’t take more than a hour to find out you are eligible or not, then why does it take too long surely they cant have more than 10000 applications , we have accept the fact that Foreigners are not welcome here , :x
you know, the gnib giving out the permission to remain just like the home office in uk give out the permission to remain. if home office can decide on the indefinite leave to remain for uk within a week time. why it takes 14 months to count your passport pages in gnib? like one of the member mentioned in this site here. they might be process one application per day. thats why it took so long!!!!!! OR as you said, they dont want to do it at all. after all, they could just grant the long term residency when the people go into gnib renew their stamp, but they dont want to do that for the foregin people here. you think those guys in the gnib counter doesnt cannot tell each foreign person details in thier computer right inside the gnib? excuses excuses, thats what it is.
Actually if you pay for the premium service, the Home Office can process your application for indefinite leave to remain within a few hours and you will get your passport back on the same day.

Absolutely no excuse for Ireland to take 14+ months to do the same thing! It's either utter incompetence or, more likely, a deliberate slow down to discourage people from applying.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:38 pm

Dawie wrote:
mktsoi wrote:
Actually if you pay for the premium service, the Home Office can process your application for indefinite leave to remain within a few hours and you will get your passport back on the same day.

Absolutely no excuse for Ireland to take 14+ months to do the same thing! It's either utter incompetence or, more likely, a deliberate slow down to discourage people from applying.
Before anybody gets carried away - I have nothing but bad things to say about the Home Office. My wife's app for EEA visa took 5.5 months - and they only did it at all because we kicked up such a fuss. During this 5+ months both of our passports were in the home office.

When the visa finally came they had accidentally posted us the minutes of a meeting on our case. It showed that they made a decision in one day, having only opened the envelope 5 months after receiving it.

They also stapled her current passport to her old passports through the ID page. This causes her no end of grief every time she travels "why did you damage your passport?" "I didn't, the UK Home Office did"

When we moved to Ireland the GNIB issued her stamp 4 after 10 minutes.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Do bear in mind though that in the UK EEA applications are dealt with very differently (under European law) than normal immigration applications (national immigration law).

Unfortunately you can blame the EU directive for that because it gives the UK government exactly 6 months to deal with any EEA applications. So you can almost imagine Home Office clock-watchers waiting 5 months and 29 days before they open the envelope!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Dawie wrote:Do bear in mind though that in the UK EEA applications are dealt with very differently (under European law) than normal immigration applications (national immigration law).

Unfortunately you can blame the EU directive for that because it gives the UK government exactly 6 months to deal with any EEA applications. So you can almost imagine Home Office clock-watchers waiting 5 months and 29 days before they open the envelope!
Thats true. But I've heard that UK citizens are advised to apply under EEA rules, as at least they have the 6 months guarantee. It can take longer otherwise.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:12 pm

seabhcan wrote:
Dawie wrote:
mktsoi wrote:

Before anybody gets carried away - I have nothing but bad things to say about the Home Office. My wife's app for EEA visa took 5.5 months - and they only did it at all because we kicked up such a fuss. During this 5+ months both of our passports were in the home office.

When the visa finally came they had accidentally posted us the minutes of a meeting on our case. It showed that they made a decision in one day, having only opened the envelope 5 months after receiving it.

They also stapled her current passport to her old passports through the ID page. This causes her no end of grief every time she travels "why did you damage your passport?" "I didn't, the UK Home Office did"

When we moved to Ireland the GNIB issued her stamp 4 after 10 minutes.
5 months in uk? is that better than 14+ months in ireland? or 30 months for citizenship in ireland or average 6 months in uk for citizenship? if you think the irish immigration is any better, i hope you dont have to go throught the same as some other foreign people living in ireland!

Docterror

Post by Docterror » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:39 pm

But I've heard that UK citizens are advised to apply under EEA rules, as at least they have the 6 months guarantee
Theoretically. But practically, what guarantee are you talking about?
Jabi

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Docterror wrote:
But I've heard that UK citizens are advised to apply under EEA rules, as at least they have the 6 months guarantee
Theoretically. But practically, what guarantee are you talking about?
EU law says that an EEA family permit must be issued with maximum processing time of 6 months.

Docterror

Post by Docterror » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:33 pm

I was just being funny, or atleast trying to be. While the EU laws does say that only a maximum of 6 months are allowed to decide the Residence Card/permit applications, they barely seem to be doing so now-a-days.

The EEAFP on the other hand should be issued ASAP and not within 6 months.
Jabi

seabhcan

Post by seabhcan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:00 am

Docterror wrote:I was just being funny
Oops. I'm a bit dim. Sorry.
The EEAFP on the other hand should be issued ASAP and not within 6 months.
Hmmm... I guess I mean that she was issued some sort of permit based on being a family member. She had been issued a visa in a UK embassy and had been told to renew/apply to home office within six months. When she did, it took a further 5.5 months to get the permit. (It was an ink stamp in her passport saying she was married to an EEA citizen, with my name written in biro. A friend commented "I could have faked that with a potato")
While the EU laws does say that only a maximum of 6 months are allowed to decide the Residence Card/permit applications, they barely seem to be doing so now-a-days.
Why are Irish authorities not limited to 6 months? I know that in France, they put you on a waiting list first before your official 6 months begin. Do they have a similar trick here?

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am

Why are Irish authorities not limited to 6 months?
I'm thinking that the Irish just have a blatant disregard for the law.

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:43 am

I'm thinking that the Irish just have a blatant disregard for the law.
My wife had her application and letter confirming residence dealt within 5 weeks few years back.Last time took 4 months and 3 weeks.
One of the reasons(not the only thought) that volume has increased and they obviously dont have staff to deal with it.

exploited
Newly Registered

Post by exploited » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Well, they should hire more staff, if that's what is needed! Thats what all these extortionate fees and our taxes pay for! The only government institution in Ireland that shows any signs of efficiency are the clampers in Dublin city. If they can be so efficient when it comes to giving out fines and clamps, why can't the immigration authorities be so at DOING THE JOB that they are PAID TO DO?! The Department of Injustice, Inequality and Laws Deformed!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:25 pm

I find that usually the best run government department in any country is the tax collection department.